Why is it bad to look through your partners phone?

I was reading an article and it ended it by saying that it raises red flags
but in a study, a lot of the times when people snoop, they find something like their partner is talking to several girls

I wouldn’t want to be in a relationship where I’m not respected.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Ya its a trust thing. Its like if you were a chef and your customer demanded to see your ingredients to make sure they were fresh. Or if you went to pay in cash at a store and the cashiers check your 1 dollar bills to see if theyre fake. People don't like it when others do that even if they didn't do anything wrong. It sends a very disrespectful message. You yourself said you dont want to be in a relationship where you don't feel respected.

1|0
    0|0
    • I like how you put it and thank you!

• If you feel the need to snoop in your partner's phone, then you already have a trust problem and that should be addressed directly, not by snooping. If you snoop in his phone without permission and you find nothing, haven't you disrespected him?

3|2
    1|0
    • But if he’s acting weired and ha spreviously lied to you despite you respecting and loving him in every way possible? If you confront him or her and they lie? But your gut says something otherwise?

• If you are at that point in a relationship, why would you stay? You don't need to collect evidence before you tell the guy AMF!

Most Helpful Girls

• To all of these hoes saying that “you shouldn’t because your partner has a life and you should trust them and respect their privacy blah blah bullshit” BULL haha I can’t wait until they’re cheated on

You know how many times relationships have ended bc one partner uses “oh you don’t respect me, I don’t want you going through my phone bc of my privacy and you should trust me”
    They use that against the person, guilt tripping them, when they actually are hiding shit

Relationships should be TRANSPARENT. Your phones should be shared. Unless you’re hiding something

0|0
    0|0
    • Seriously though 🙁
      There’s studies that show stuff about this that partners who look through another phone, 40% were actually cheating. That’s pretty much half.

I kinda get it but also don’t.
      It’s sorta like “YOU SEXTED ANOTHER WOMAN”
      “YOU LOOKED THROUGH MY PHONE! you're UNRELIABLE”

• By snooping, you show the person serious disrespect. You clearly show you don´t trust them and you don´t care about their integrity. It´s being controlling, and is a form of abuse.

1|4
    0|0
    • Why abuse?

• Show All
    • How much of your life you want to share with others is anybody´s choice. They may simple feel they need some space to themselves.

• Ok I sorta get it

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• It is not bad at all... unless you have something to hide. People usually only snoop when they feel something is going on that they should know about and if you have nothing to hide then snooping won't hurt you. There should never be secrets in a realtionship. If you are hiding something you have already failed.

2|0
    0|0
    • Just being devils advocate but what about privacy?

• If someone is worried about privacy in a realtionship they are hiding something so that is even more reason for concern. No wonder so many people cheat when they are pulling out this invasion of privacy garbage. A partner of mine can look at anything of mine anytime they wish.

• Standing fucking ovation!! YES!!! I don't need privacy in my relationship. Period.

• Because A] it's super shitty and a violation of privacy to snoop through someone's phone without their permission

And B] It's a CLEAR indication that you don't completely trust someone, and if you don't trust them, then there's absolutely no reason to be in the relationship in the first place.

1|1
    0|0
  • If you look through his phone, you have trust issues. Going through someones phone is like getting every bit of information about someone. Things that should stay private. Since phones collect so much data these days.

1|0
    0|1
  • The problem if your partner finds you looking through their phone they may lose trust in you or might think you dont trust them which has caused a lot of couples to break up. Honestly it's a large gamble personally I would not take it

1|0
    0|0
  • Because that is a lack of trust. Either way, if you do or don't find something, you've invaded their privacy. Might as well end it rather than pull that.

1|0
    0|1
  • Because you looking though someone's phone is itself disrespect. And shows you don't trust the other person which means you do not have a healthy relationship. And it's hard to gain that back from a guy once you showed there is no underlying communication between you two.

0|0
    0|1
  • If you tell your boyfriend he can't talk to other women at all if he wants to stay with you, then that's like him telling you the same but not talking to men. I can talk to another female and be faithful. I have friends, and you would hate to have to tell your friends that are men that you can no longer talk to them. So just let them slide for talking to another woman, however sexting means a whole nother thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's supposed to be a trust thing, but honestly, I never saw the big deal... if that person said they would commit to you, but is now messing around behind your back; you have a right know.

1|0
    0|0
  • This what I tell my partner if you don't mind if he does it to you then he shouldn't care if you do it. Unless he has something to hide.

2|0
    0|1
  • because it's private but as long as he has given you permission where he is there it's ok

1|0
    0|0
  • If you snoop on your partner then HE is an a relationship where he's not respected.

It's an invasion of privacy whichever way you slice it.

0|0
    0|1
  • i don't mind my partner going through my phone

1|1
    0|1
    • Why?

• because i got nothing to hide, she is my partner so my privacy is her privacy 😊

• ... Is this a serious post?

0|0
    0|0
    • Yep and while you’re here, you might as well answer it to give a better understanding 😉

• Uh, well the other people here have already answered, so I'll just give you more of the same-- it's incredibly selfish and immature, and speaks to your personal insecurity. Clearly anyone who's going to do that doesn't care very much for their partner or else they would trust them and wouldn't be doing it in the first place. Basically anyone who does it is crazy and should be broken up with.

• Because it's invasion of privacy

0|0
    0|0
  • Invasive

Lack of trust

Insecure

0|0
    0|1
  • l dont care

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly, if you're in a trusting relationship you should be able to go on (not through) your partners phone. That said you shouldn't do it in secret. Like wait until they are in the shower and then go though their phone is wrong.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think its funny how people can acknowledge that people can't be trusted, but claim that you have a "trust issue" when you want reassurance.

I say if you DON'T seek reassurance, you have a trust issue (you trust too much).
    And if your Other has a problem with you looking at their phone, THAT'S THE RED FLAG.

My girlfriend has explicit permission to look at my phone whenever she wants. I've looked at hers several times. We don't hide anything, so its no big deal

2|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• If you can’t trust him than don’t date him. You shouldn’t be with a guy who you feel like you have to catch him in the act of cheating. Most likely he is and that’s why you’re getting insecure about it so break up with him and find someone else.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you don’t trust me then you don’t need to be with me. I’ll let you see my cell phone if you ask. Also my experience only reason they have trust issues your are one that’s cheating.

1|0
    0|0
    • But what if you guys didn’t know each other for long before dating? Would the answer change because of context change? Cheating is not always due to trust issues

• I stand by original statement. It’s draining I don’t that.

• Because if you do either you are really insecure/possessive which may lead to a really toxic relationship or there is really something happening that raised your suspicion which will result in a pretty bad outcome so it can never have a positive outcome

1|0
    0|0
  • Because it's an invasion of privacy. Would you mind if your SO went through your phone? Relationships require trust.

0|0
    0|0
    • Nope. I wouldn’t mind cause I have nothing to hide. Nor should he.

• Show All
    • But I get it, it’s dishonest.

• He could be confiding with someone in text message, though. And you might misinterpret some messages. He has the right to talk to his friends about your relationship for advice. Go ahead and ask him if you can look through his phone, all his text messages, his pictures, his emails. You'll have your answer.

• its called ethics

1|4
    0|0
    • But what makes this an ethic? Why is it important?

• its an invasion of privacy, dishonest and disrespectful

0|0
    0|0
  • Who said its bad?😏

1|0
    0|3
    • 😂😅 like 99% hah I’m just trying to understand why though

• Show All
    • Why though? 🤔

• I think he shouldn't keep secrets from me
      His everything is mine.
      And also my everything is him.

• Chances are that you already have

1|0
    0|0
    • I’ve read studies on that too 😅

• No passwords=no trust.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes!!!

0|0
    0|0
    • I might be crazy girl tbh 😐I’m growing through a lot but anyways what’s your reasoning? No judgment!

• Every person deserves a right to a private life they don't have to share with anyone else. It's healthy that way.

Recommended myTakes