Could you date someone that had the same name as your mom/dad?

• yeah no problem for me
    Vote A
  • no that would be too weird for me
    Vote B
  • it depends (explain)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|3

Most Helpful Girls

• I wouldn't but I doubt I'd have that problem, first off I'm Asian so my parents don't exactly have names like John or Isabelle. Not to mention it's not common names either and most people in my generation don't have names like theirs and most have English names.

Though my name is a pretty common name I'd say.

0|2
    0|0
  • Yeah who cares hahaha if you can call your boyfriend daddy I don't know see how someone can have the problem calling them the same name as ur actual dad

1|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Yeah, no problem. Also avoids the awkward problem of calling your SO by your mom's name by accident in the heat of the moment...

... I'm kidding! Well, technically that problem wouldn't exist in that case.

1|2
    0|0
  • My wife had the same first Name as my mother, but that isn't shocking because they were both German and it's a common Name here.

1|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• Yeah, I don't call my pops by his first name so I don't really equate the name with him.
    If, for some reason my SO's name is dad or anything like that, then yeah, I couldn't.
    I literally almost vomited in my mouth a little thinking about it.

0|2
    0|0
  • I wouldn't think of them the same way as my parents, that'd be really weird, so sure. It's not as if I call my parents by their names anyway

0|2
    0|0
  • That would be awkward tbh. Fortunately dad has a really extravagant name that isn't very common for the new generation so it's almost impossible to find someone in his name.

0|1
    0|0
  • My boyfriend has the same name as my dog sort of, my boyfriends name is Jacob and my dogs name is jacobus

1|2
    0|0
  • I once dated a guy who had the same name as my dad. It wasn’t weird for me

0|2
    0|0
  • yah its not like i address my parents by their first name anywho

0|2
    0|0
  • Nope, it'd be too much of a reminder that would throw me off

0|1
    0|0
  • It’d be a little weird but better then an ex’s name

1|2
    0|0
  • Not really 99% of people are named after their fathers parents. Hell dated a woman with same name as me.

0|2
    0|0
  • Maybe if I like them. He can even have my mum's name (gender neutral) or my name in short form (gender neutral).

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 27

• I have seen a question like this and wonder what is the issue - Is it for people who scream out their partner's name during sex - Other than that I can't see any issue

1|2
    0|0
  • No forget it I'm not Doing it lol... a little odd ya hahah
    But I guess if you have a real connection I shouldn't be an idiot just for her name.. who knows. It could actually be a blessing at some point

0|2
    0|0
  • There are only 1,641 people in the country with my mom's first name. To put that in perspective there are 1,243,604 guys with my name. The odd are pretty low so I don't think I have to worry about it.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't even see how that could be anyone's problem. You do or don't like the person. They are probably one of a million or more people with that name.

0|2
    0|0
  • Why would I pass up dating a perfectly beautiful girl just because she has the same name as my dad... oops, I mean my mom ! Or my sister ! Or my pet !! LOL

0|2
    0|0
  • It would be funny because if we were to get married, it would be my parents name all over again besides mine being Jr and her middle name probably not being Marie

1|1
    0|0
  • If this is a serious problem to you then you may need therapy. Maybe you're lying. You could probably benefit from some form of therapy.

0|1
    0|0
  • I’m gonna say too weird but I acknowledge its arbitrary to discriminate based on something like the name they received. Unless they had a middle name I could just use instead.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, but I'd probably give her a nickname or pet name.

0|2
    0|0
  • A ridiculousness like that is not able to prevent love

0|2
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes