Guys, do you hold doors for your date? Girls, do your dates do this for you?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Never dated/results
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• It is always appreciated when anyone holds the door, especially on a date. I hold the door for people walking behind me though, out of courtesy.

I did have a chair pulled out for me at the dinner table and that was a bit uncomfortable because I had never experienced it before.

1|4
    0|0
    • Interesting point about the chair (one doesn't see that done very often anymore). Would you want a guy to do it now that you have experienced it?

• Probably not unless he was very comfortable doing it. Or maybe just on special occasions. Not sure... thinking out loud here.

• Thank you for MHO.

• I find that annoying. Like, I appreciate the gesture, but I'm not a delicate flower, and I have arms to open doors.
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

0|2
    0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I am Danish doing this is antithetical to our culture here
    Whoever reaches the door first holds it open for the other
    This is not just in regards to dating but in general if there is someone relatively close behind you you hold the door gender is utterly irrelevant to that

1|2
    0|0
  • See now I've been told by most girls I've dated that I've been the first one to open door for them

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 14

• I'm the one who holds the doors, because I'm usually the first one there. My boyfriend is always late.

1|2
    0|0
  • My husband does it's becoming less frequent since we have our 4 month old daughter but thats ok. He'll buy my favorite chocolate or whatever because he was thinking of me.

0|1
    0|0
    • That's good stuff. Congrats on the little one from a fellow parent.

• Thank you! I have a son who's 9 also. My heart is so full seeing them interact with each other.

• Yeah, it's great when the kids get along and play together nicely.

• Half the time I hold the door open for him and I feel like he's always a little weirded out when i do it but EQUALITY

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, I think almost any guy would be. I know I'd be embarassed by it.

• Show All
    • Hahaha the first because I'm an awkward turtle...

• Ah, OK, as a gentleman, I would definitely be embarassed by her doing that for me. I should do that for her.

• Well I never dated but he did that would be appreciated, however it is not necessary for him to do it, like I personally wouldn't care.

I would definitely open the door for him if I bought a new car 😂

0|1
    0|0
  • Yea they always do that. Even my guy friends. Like they’ll walk a bit faster to get to the door first to open it. But I do it all the time I get a chance to too

0|1
    0|0
  • They always hold the door for me, sometimes I'm awkward and hold it for them but then they tell me to go a head.

2|1
    0|0
  • Never had a date b4. But if i see someone coming in behind me, i always hold the door for them. Its just a nice thing to do

0|1
    0|0
  • They better freakin do it for me or else they won't be dating me anymore:) I hold doors for everyone.

0|1
    0|2
    • Sexist bigot

• Show All
    • Most 3rd wave feminists do. Point is?

• Well... We are in no way obliged to hold doors open for girls, we do it out of courtesy. Also to woo the girl but its just common practise for some of us. Moreover, a man who doesn't hold the door open wasmt taught well, but a woman who expects him to wasn't tahght well either. Or at least thats what we sometimes say here.

• i live in the south and i think it is a big part of the culture for guys to hold the door open regardless if it is for his date, a stranger, a coworker, etc. it happens a lot, coupled with letting girls go first (in line for something, to order a drink, etc) walk in first (to a room, an elevator, etc), or to do stuff for girls (carry something heavy, offer to go get you a drink, walk you to your car, etc).

this one doesn't happen as often but some guys (who are not romantically/sexually interested in me) will lightly have a hand on my back to guide me in/out of elevators, through doors, etc. it's kinda like they take on this semi "protector/provider" role and need to lead or be in charge or something.

0|1
    0|0
  • If they dont, i leave. I deserve to be treated with respect

0|1
    0|1
    • ... You see this is feeling entitled to something you aren't actually entiteled to. Call me old fashioned and a dickhead, but I don't like girls with that kind of attitude. I don't like people with that kind of attitude.

• Show All
    • I'm just saying if that was to happen to me I'd be glad I dodged that massive bullet, that is your personality rather than feel shocked or sad about you leaving me, because honestly you do sound like a little entiteled bitch. Now keep in mind this is not an insult. I said you sound like that. I don't know what kind of person you actually are, so I will not make statements about that. But based on what I DO know I'd say you're a bitch. And yes, you are entiteled.

• Hahaha you guys are hilarious. Im far from.

• Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 28

• In school, I used to finish my lunch extra early so I could run upstairs and hold the door for my class. It's always been a thing my parents made me do. I love it. Doesn't it matter who it's for. It just feels right.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes I always do and try to get to the door before her once though the door was a push not pull and I pushed and I didn't open it in time and was being really dumb with it so she opened the door for me instead kinda embarrassing lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. As I approach the door, I make a mental note to myself:

"Hold the door!"
    "Hold the door!"
    "Hold the door!"
    "Hold the door!"
    "Hold the door!"

Makes me feel 7-feet tall.

1|1
    0|1
  • Yes
    Not just dates, I hold the door for everybody, all the time. The funny thing is that most people will hold the door for a complete stranger. Nine times out of ten, the stranger will be grateful. The only person that will tell you that they can do it themselves is a date.

0|1
    0|0
  • yes, do hold doors for dates, i also hold doors for people i don't know because sometimes i see them trying to get inside a building with a cart or a baby stroller and they're having a hard time, so i'll just run over and hold the door for them too.

0|1
    0|0
  • No because women don't hold the door open for us as guy how they expect us to for them. They think because they are women and able to give birth they should be treated special which shouldn't be the case. Men carry the living sperm so why shouldn't they treat us specially? I think people should hold open their own door. No one should be a person's servent regardless of sex.

0|1
    0|0
  • I hold doors for date's or anyone who i see coming towards the door, whether they are date's or just random people... I have even walked out of my way cos i saw elderly people walking towards a door so i know they wouldn't struggle...

0|0
    0|0
  • I hold doors for many people, such as entering/exiting a store, restaurant. However when I go to the northern part of the United States and hold the door open I get strange looks.

1|1
    0|0
  • Never dated anyone
    But I hold the door open for everyone behind me or coming from the front
    I don't know why I started doing that but I'm liking this habit

0|1
    0|0
  • If she’s the appreciative type: yes. Otherwise, no. Also helps if she has a clue which side of the door to stand on

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes