How important is it to you that your friends like the person you're dating?

It's completely irrelevant to me.
  • Not at all
    Vote A
  • Would be nice if they do
    Vote B
  • Pretty important
    Vote C
  • Other/see results
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It would be a plus but not a dealbreaker if they don’t like him.
    My families must like him, though. That has been a dealbreaker in the past.

1|2
    0|0
  • I have only a few close friends whose opinions are very important to me.
    That being said, it would not necessarily change anything as far as who I’m dating.

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I honestly feel you're S. O. should be more important than any friend you have.

I mean think about how many times your friends have ignored you in favor of their partners.

It's funny how all my friends stopped talking to me when they got married and barely call and such yet when I got a partner all of a sudden I'm the bad friend for hanging up to talk to my S. O.

0|1
    0|0
  • It'd be nice as I like having friends over and like everyone to enjoy their time together. I try not to be around extremely judgmental people.
    As I get older these issues don't seem to come up at all like when I was a teen.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 20

• I voted not at all. I have loyal and supportive friends but I don't hang out very often because I want to save money. I am not going to end a good relationship for somebody I see less than 20 hours a month.

1|1
    0|0
  • Frankly your friends may see something that your clouded-by-love eyes don't. If all your friends are saying something is not right you had better stop, listen, and look for any red flags you may have missed. There are many times I had listened to my friends instead of thinking I knew it all, and I would be in a better place today if I had.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's pretty important as if they don't like the guy then maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture and I'm too wrapped up in him and the idea of him, although that doesn't mean I'm going to dump him if they don't like him I'll just keep in mind what they've said and continue as I was going

0|1
    0|0
  • Important to an extent because I hangout a lot with my friends. We even go to hotels together. They like to know how he is and stuff. They also like including him in certain plans. So it's nice when both parties get along.

1|1
    0|0
  • Only my best friend who is like a sister to me. If she tells me he seems weird or he was rude to her or any red flags. I would keep an eye out and eventually dump if he doesn't prove me wrong

2|1
    0|0
  • My boyfriend is my best friend, LOL.

I don't have any other friends close enough to me that their opinions would actually affect my decisions about my love life in a significant way.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have always learned that you can't please everyone. But if it were possible, I would wish they would approve of not only him but me too. Haha

0|2
    0|0
  • Don’t care anymore. My circle of friends has changed so much. At this point, I’m not gonna be lonely for their sake. I’ll pick my man over them any day. They’re not bad friends but I’m just saying

0|1
    0|0
  • I've learned that if you're friends dont like your SO, there's a good reason for it and you should reconsider your relationship

1|1
    0|0
  • That would mean a big step for me, because my friends are my second family

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the friend. I have a few friends whose opinion is very important to me.

0|1
    0|0
  • I find it very important. Your friends notice thing you’re too blind to see.

2|1
    0|0
  • They don’t have to be with him, I do.. they are not dating him, I am.

1|2
    0|0
  • I want them to tolerate each other but I don't hang out enough with my friends that they'd effect my relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • It would depend why they dont like him but i think it would bother me a bit if they were mean

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s important to me because some friends become jealous n don’t show it and would try to do something to effect it

0|1
    0|0
  • Same. Irrelevant to me. They can like or dislike but I’m the one dating him

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends. If she likes him it would be nice. If not it's not tragic. I have to like him

0|0
    0|0
  • Very important, I'd like no drama please.

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course it’d be nice if they do, but it’s not essential. Girls are always wary of a guys intentions to begin with so once they see he’s decent they’ll come around.

0|1
    0|0
    • Also guy friends (who have their own relationships) are also protective as they know how guys think too.

What Guys Said 27

• Irrelevant.
    However, never give up your friends for any woman. EVER. You need your guy friends for guy stuff.
    Same for girls, they need their girlfriends for girlie stuff. Don't try to make your boyfriend into your girlfriend - it just doesn't work that way.

0|2
    0|0
  • Extremely important. Not just because I want them to be able to hang out together and do exist, but because eventually that turns into her more than likely getting pissy when I hang out with them or text them, and them dogging me for dating her, and it’s just not a good situation to be in. Besides, my friends have talked me out of some pretty bad decisions, and I take heir judgement into account.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sorta important in my case but mainly because I like to introduce her and hang out all together, and merge her friends with my own and we can form a big group. That said, if my friends don't like her, it's not a deal-breaker. It's just not the ideal scenario for me. It's also hard to imagine such a case since my friend group is very eclectic, people from across the world, and they're not very open-minded types of people.

0|1
    0|0
    • * [...] and [they're] very open-minded types of people.

It's very difficult for me to imagine a scenario where my friends wouldn't like a girl I dated.

• She'd have to be very two-faced, I imagine, like so nice to me and so rude to them at the same time.

• How important is it to you that your friends like the person you're dating?
    I mean on the one hand I'd prefer it if they got along but on the other I'm not gonna break up with my SO if my friends don't like her. I guess it depends on why they don't like her.

My friends did warm me about this one girl I was dating. In my defense I didn't know she was a Russian spy.

1|1
    0|0
  • it's nice and can be important. it means that you can better intersect different aspects of your world. it means that when you go out socially it is possible to have friends and your partner all together. the friends can be a support system if need be and better since they may know the guy somewhat and vice versa

0|1
    0|0
  • Ha! Did my friends care about my opinion of their gf? The best was the friend who announced he was getting married to someone we never met. Same guy later got butt hurt because I was simply in a relationship without letting him know. I’m done with one sided friendships/relationships. F em

0|1
    0|0
  • would be nice if they do, cause well, it would be weird to be around your friends and they don´t like the person you spend most of your time with. Plus, your friends have other perspective on your significant other, they are not "blind" by the halo that you might have, as you might be sexually and or in love with this peron, they may see things more clear, or things you don´t see.

0|1
    0|0
  • you are dating her and not your friends, that doesn't mean you have to date a person they all hate, coz when they all hate a person, you might also hate them coz tht person might have done something bad to you all otherwise all of them won't hate her.
    otherwise if they like or not , its your choice, but it will be a good thing if she gets along waith your friends too becoz you could avoid the awkward situations.
    hope this helps you out, wishing you all the best :)

0|1
    0|0
  • It can be very important. Friends can often see things in the person you are dating that you can't see and they are often right. If I had have listened to friends I wouldn't have ended up with a cheating wife. They saw the future, I didn't. What they say might hurt but you should listen and take notice.

0|1
    0|0
  • I prefers they like her but if it is not the case, I will not change nothing because if I started to date her in the first place, there are some reasons.

0|1
    0|0
    • good luck kiddo

• Show All
    • @wootamandawoot41 cool story !!! perhaps some day I will give a fuck about your irrelevant opinion.

• im not concerned over what people say about me. i only got into this game looking for a proper knock and a few quid

• Not super important, as long as there isn't a problem between them. I don't have any good friends, but I'm around them a lot so I'd like things to not get any worse because of who I'm with.

0|1
    0|0
  • There are few people I'd call true friends and they knpw me very well. So if they advise me from someone, I'll trust their judgement.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it matters. Its not a deciding factor. But generally friends or your SO would be people you share interests and views/morals with. For them not to get along would seem odd to me, ring some alarm bells.
    Friends know you. They look out for your best intetests. For them not to like someone, and to actively voice it, there must be something. The majority of my friends i've known over a decade. They've helped through my darkest days. I'd trust their judgement and value their opinions, even if i didn't necassarily agree with it

0|1
    0|0
  • they don't need to "like" them but if they think she's a horrible person, i would have to consider that.

0|1
    0|0
  • Unless there's a real reason to warn your friend about their partner there's almost no justifiable reason to start something by telling your friend you don't like their partner. It's entirely selfish doing that. If what you have to say doesn't have your friends best interest in mind, then it's just not worth it.

In that same vein that's how I feel about my friends in context to my partner. Unless there's a massive blindspot I need to be made aware of with my girl then I don't want to hear shit from my friends. Their opinion on who I date matters little, but them getting along does matter.

0|1
    0|0
  • I guess I would say B here because it would be nice but it won't matter much if they don't either

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd obviously like it if they like her but if they didn't it wouldn't change anything.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not at all. It's not like I'll see my friends while I'm dating.

0|1
    0|0
  • That would depend on how much importance a person gives to the opinions of friends.

0|0
    0|0
    • we become in part who we surround ourselves with kid

• @wootamandawoot41

Well, you can have your opinion.

However, I don't believe that. We always have a choice, we can choose to either become a part of whom we surround with, do what everyone else is doing let the thinking of others influence us or we can choose to do what we want to do and live our life by our thinking.

Just saying.

• you're free to your opinion lad. fair play to ya. some buzz to not give me a shout

• It's pretty important that they at least get along. Otherwise you end up living this bizarre divided life. Been there, done that. Never again.

0|0
    0|0
  • Idgaf if they like them or not

0|1
    0|0
  • B.

Just easier that way.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't date neither do I have friends

0|1
    0|0
  • Not important because I dont have any friends

0|1
    0|0
  • As long as I like the person is what matters.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've largely lost touch with most of mine as I slowly withdraw from society, so I would say not at all.

0|1
    0|0
  • Friends’ judge can be frankly sometimes. You might just have fallen in love but some close ones of you unfortunately might have the urge to say mean stuff about that human beings’ physical appearance.

0|1
    0|0
    • Are you saying that they might be motivated by jealousy?

• Show All
    • They will or signal you right away that they don’t fit you guys.

• Will tell*

Recommended myTakes