Why do people find it weird when girls/women date a guy/man whos younger than them?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Not to justify it ethically (I don't think in those ethical terms, I just try to understand social norms in a descriptive sort of way), it's probably tied to the differences in fertility between males and females. Females have a crueler biological clock that way which starts declining rapidly as they grow older:

Why do people find it weird when girls/women date a guy/man whos younger than them?

1|0
    0|0
    • That said, I think little of it as long as it involves two consenting adults.

• Show All
    • @Tdieseler respect πŸ‘Š dudeπŸ˜€

• not many people care unless its like totally visible... but its the same thing the other way around. 10 years difference? no one cares... 30 years difference? people will notice.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• The why is easy - It's not the norm.
    But does that matter? I think depending on the people involved; what others think may or may not be important. If you're a person in this situation and you care about others opinions, then you may not be able to handle it. people can be cruel relentlessly.
    But if you don't care, and you want it, and you stand up for yourself and your partner - you have all the power and all the odds to make it awesome.

I have dated a few several year younger men (10+ years difference) which has suited both parties remarkably well. Being in the same place/side of things in life is to prefer (children/goals/dreams) and obviously similar platform regarding values tend to have a larger importance if there is an age difference.

What worked for me had a lot to do with personality. As a woman when you get a little older, you know who you are in a whole different sense (you think you do when you're in your 20s, but life has a lot in store for you yet.) Life experience is priceless. Knowing a bit more about yourself changes a lot of things that sometimes act like road blockers when younger - wants and needs, jealousy, other insecurities, anxiety and worry. Taught behavior is still dominant. When you get older, you have more of chosen behavior - allowing you to be who you want to be without parental voices in your ears. Also, less tradition based maybe, a bit more free spirited.

Then maturity plays a huge part for the guy who's younger. He needs to be mature enough to handle it, and know what he needs and wants and be able to communicate it. We need to be compatible. We're not "growing together" the way people do if both are 20. You skip a lot of that complicated stress and unnecessary steps really of trying to be what the other wants you to be.

In my experience, most times when a guy chooses an older woman - it's because it's a fit. A man doesn't choose a cougar if it isn't what he actually wants.

What a younger man gets most times with an older woman is less drama, more experimental and fun things that is a less complicated process, and in my case - less dependency on others (friends and family). There is also less power games played in the relationship, less fights, clearer communication and most things are in check in a very different way from when one is younger, too.

I realize it sounds like a generalization and of course a relationship like this doesn't work if not both are mature enough to handle it.

But I have LOVED mine <3

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 20

• Some people do find it weird, they can go suck a lemon. Most of my ex girlfriends have been older than me from a few months to a few years older and very few younger and none more than a year or at max 2 years younger than me. I prefer women who are slightly older than me, if anyone has a problem, well it's not my problem so I'm not going to deal with it...

1|0
    0|0
  • Eh, I don't think that just because people find it a bit weird means that they CARE or something, like that they think it's wrong or some shit-- they don't. It's just simply not what most people expect or see; usually in life it's the other way around, due to simple evolutionary biology.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because it's typically the other way around. And younger guy/man are typically less mature, so it's odd

2|0
    0|0
  • Because men tend to prefer youthful women and women tend to prefer successful men (who are usually older). Seeing an older woman date a younger man runs counter to our instincts, so it's weird.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because of when you stop giving birth. It's generally more pragmatic to date someone who's older who is able to support a family so that you can more effectively raise them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Its not (i hope). I'm currently seeing someone who's 40

1|0
    0|0
  • In my culture it's normal.
    I guess it's unusual for some people.

1|0
    0|0
  • cause naturally women are usually drawn to older guys.

2|0
    0|0
  • I suppose because traditionally it has been the opposite way and old stereotypes die hard?

1|0
    0|0
  • Generally because it goes against the social norm that women go for older men.

1|0
    0|0
  • How many years difference?
    My girlfriend is 6months older lol

1|0
    0|0
  • If that is what floats your boat and both are adults of legal age, what is the matter with that?

2|0
    0|0
  • It all comes down to maturity. If you match its all gravy.

1|0
    0|0
  • Cause it's not normal?

1|0
    0|0
  • Not weird at all

1|0
    0|0
  • it is just a weird thinking I would say

1|0
    0|0
  • Its not

1|0
    0|0
  • It's the same when a guy dates a younger woman

1|0
    0|0
  • I think that depends on the age gap

1|0
    0|0
  • cause it's not the norm

my moms older than my dad. and they're perfect together

it's just a norm that people usually go by. why, i dk

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Lol to me if u dating someone younger than you they have to look older or same age as u tbh sorry but that's just my opinion

1|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend is 4 years younger. It's a bit strange at first but people don't seem to care that much

1|0
    0|0
  • My Boyfriend is one year younger. You did not notice it anyway. We are both young and in our 20s. Our Goals in Life are the same so it's perfect

1|0
    0|0
  • I've always found age gap relationships weird (depending on the gap).

1|0
    0|0
  • Because it is weird !

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes