What is the etiquette after meeting up with an old flame?

Had dinner with an old flame last night, after two years of not speaking. He never made it to boyfriend status but more of a friend turned lover turned complicated mess. It was actually super nice and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I wouldn't mind keeping him on friendly terms but I think both of us still have some issues with one another that need to be ironed out. Anyway what is the normal protocol after something like this? Should I message him and thank him for a good night? Or is it better to just leave it until I might want to catch up again?
Okay so I just wanted to clarify something. I'm not talking about making plans to see him again. I don't know if I do want to see him again, but I'd like to be able to make nice conversation if I do see him again.

I just want to know if I should send him a short 'hey thanks last night was fun' out of courtesy to show I have no hard feelings over the whole thing.

66

Most Helpful Guy

• I am actually in a similar situation. Everytime after avgood couple of months when we try to communicate, it turns out to be messy in the end. I still like to keep the good memories so, I am prefering just normal courtesy, hi-hello-bye next time we meet.
    It will be difficult to keep in touch without reigniting the flame really.
    I am still looking for an answer. So I will follow your question 🤗

Most Helpful Girl

• No, leave this fucker alone. No matter how good of a time you had. A complicated mess is still a mess and he is an ex “lover” (loser) for a reason. Yes, you may like him but take it from me. A mistake maker! Leave garbage in the past. An ex is an ex for a reason! If you didn’t make it to girlfriend before. He did not see your worth. So don’t see his. He is not worth it!