What is the etiquette after meeting up with an old flame?

Had dinner with an old flame last night, after two years of not speaking. He never made it to boyfriend status but more of a friend turned lover turned complicated mess. It was actually super nice and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I wouldn't mind keeping him on friendly terms but I think both of us still have some issues with one another that need to be ironed out. Anyway what is the normal protocol after something like this? Should I message him and thank him for a good night? Or is it better to just leave it until I might want to catch up again?
Updates:
Okay so I just wanted to clarify something. I'm not talking about making plans to see him again. I don't know if I do want to see him again, but I'd like to be able to make nice conversation if I do see him again.

I just want to know if I should send him a short 'hey thanks last night was fun' out of courtesy to show I have no hard feelings over the whole thing.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I am actually in a similar situation. Everytime after avgood couple of months when we try to communicate, it turns out to be messy in the end. I still like to keep the good memories so, I am prefering just normal courtesy, hi-hello-bye next time we meet.
    It will be difficult to keep in touch without reigniting the flame really.
    I am still looking for an answer. So I will follow your question 🤗

3|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No, leave this fucker alone. No matter how good of a time you had. A complicated mess is still a mess and he is an ex “lover” (loser) for a reason. Yes, you may like him but take it from me. A mistake maker! Leave garbage in the past. An ex is an ex for a reason! If you didn’t make it to girlfriend before. He did not see your worth. So don’t see his. He is not worth it!

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• Well I think you should definitely call him and thank him for a good time but I think that's as far as that she cold I mean he was a complicated mess so what's different now from then if you get back with him will still be the same complicated mess with my but he should ask for a reason. Sometimes you have to close the door on your past and just move forward in your life

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it is important to acknowledge that what you guys had together was something special, therefore you'd still had to treat him as maybe more than a friend, but definitely not intimate. This is because IF feelings were mutual and was special moment for both of you guys while you guys were together, its better to remember it as something that holds some sort of meaning, some significance and something special, rather than looking back at it with bitterness.

0|0
    0|0
  • Be different, call him and thank him for a good night. The sound of your voice will mean much more to him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing just say Hi

0|0
    0|0
  • Funny this is most guys think they can pick up where they left off. Women on the other hand expect an entire fresh restart with all the courtship and other crap.

3|0
    0|0
    • Because when guys screw up. We need them to prove they really love us this time because they did not last time. To me, it's all a waste of time. Just move on to better!

• @Mikayla3 yeah but all the good things that happened earlier don’t account for jack either.

What Girls Said 5

• When I did this... since he paid on the first date... I PAID on this one when we rekindled. Mexican food, drinking, sex outside, beautiful summer weather. It's still just as casual now as it was in June... but he's become my favorite guy ever :* !! He was so pleased with me. I fucked up before, so I had to make it up to him.

0|0
    0|0
    • Sure, say you had a good time... but you're not trying to get back with him!!

• i'm speechless. i don't do fuck buddies and don't believe it's possible. maybe just 1% of population can do it if they are a bit of a sociopath. women and men usually fool themselves thinking they won't catch feelings.

0|0
    0|0
  • https://youtu.be/m9a5cjra-lc
    My old flame
    I can't even think of her name

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't really talk to exes. I don't want them contacting me either.

2|0
    0|0
  • Don't text at all. He will do it if he thinks you guys can make it to a long term relationship.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes