What's your take on dating a colleague at work?

"Dating is fine so long as personal affections do not impact work equations". Agree? Thoughts?
  • Yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to hit on a colleague and date her/him
    Vote A
  • No, it complicates work equations and reporting relationships.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• As long as it is very well discussed. If it does not work out let’s agree to be professionals about the situation.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on the type of work and on the type of person. My boyfriend and I coworkers, and we didn't have any problems so far. We got into a fight once, but we solved it as two mature human beings right at the spot (outside of work ofc). I honestly interact with him as with any other coworker, we barely talk at work. We've known each other for a year at work before we started dating, he had his own group of coworkers he was hanging out with during breaks and I had mine, and that didn't change. Absolutely nothing changed. I think if we didn't tell other no one would even notice, lol. We do occasionally go eat outside during lunch break, but rarely. He does his own tasks, I do mine. The only interaction related to work that we have is daily meeting with the rest of the team, and maybe some questions here and there related to project, and that's it. We have different roles and we mostly work independently (we don't need each other). And neither is superior to other, we have the same boss. I think that even if we broke up we could co-exist in the same place as we always did, nothing would change. He is excellent at his work and I know he would never "act badly" towards me (or any other coworker) when we would have to interact for work related stuff just because he has a personal issue. Same goes for me, no matter what would happen, I will always respect his work and treat him as a coworker. Only immature people would treat coworkers like shit just because of personal grudge. And we're also not the type of people who would use work as an excuse to "patch things up" or bother one another with feelings and personal thoughts. Like for example, lets say I dump him and he gets extremely clingy and sad about it and wants to make me forgive him - he would never do it at work. If I would tell him to stop talking to me he would stop, but we would still talk about work at work ofc. And then would blow my phone up after work, lol. Joking, he would not do that, and neither would I. We're both same when it comes to breakups and issues in relationship - when it's bad it's time to breakup, and when we breakup it's finished for good. All in all, I'm glad that we're coworkers, tbh. I feel kind of better knowing that he's there too, it really does has its pros. And I know a lot of other coworkers who are dating as well, even married with kids. So I vote A! :)

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• To me it's up to how close our proximity is. I'm an animator, I work with agents, voice actors and talent often. Had a relationship with a colleague on a film set. She was cinematographer, so the only time we really spent time together at work was when we were working on shots together.

The general rule is as follows though, and a wise rule it is.. Don't Sh! t where you eat.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• I have dated a coworker. I regret it. It complicated things and made things really uncomfortable and awkward for me after I broke up. It was a really bad experience. So, I strictly believe now that coworkers should only have strictly professional relationship. That's it. Nothing more.

0|1
    0|0
    • Agree.. it can be uncomfortable really, when things go south.. also if others come to know of it, there's gossip involving you, which is best avoided.

• I agree 🙌

• My parents met at work. And then they made the antichrist lmao.
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

0|1
    0|1
  • Big no-no

0|1
    0|0
  • Too complicated. Wouldn't do it

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 11

• A lot of people are not capable of doing that though. In addition, you should know your company policy on fraternization.

0|1
    0|0
    • Agree.. there are some organizations where consensual dating between co-workers is acceptable and doesn't fall under POSH (prevention of sexual harassment at workplace). However, usually it's not allowed where there is a reporting relationship involved.

• Show All
    • Personally I have seen several long lasting relationships being built at the work place. Several of them are happy families now.

• DON'T DO IT.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

WOMEN, WIFE, FEMALE COLLEAGUE ALWAYS WINS.

0|2
    0|0
  • It depends on what kind of work. Maybe their are different departments but it’s hard for even married people to work together.
    Not saying it can’t be done but it will be hard.

0|1
    0|0
  • As a general rule "don't shit where you eat," but if you're just a cashier at a grocery store or delivering pizzas there's not too much to lose.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nah I wouldn't I like my work life separate from my social though I say I get along with everyone of my coworkers just fine

0|1
    0|0
  • I think the more disruptive issue is "what happens after the breakup?"

0|1
    0|0
  • I was told "dont shit where you eat" But the asshole who told me, did the same

0|1
    0|0
  • don't sheat where you eat.

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s best not to date a work colleague

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the exact situation, but yeah, I would.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have seen disasters from that

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes