What's your take on dating a colleague at work?

"Dating is fine so long as personal affections do not impact work equations". Agree? Thoughts?
  • Yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to hit on a colleague and date her/him
  • No, it complicates work equations and reporting relationships.

612

Most Helpful Girls

• As long as it is very well discussed. If it does not work out let’s agree to be professionals about the situation.

• It depends on the type of work and on the type of person. My boyfriend and I coworkers, and we didn't have any problems so far. We got into a fight once, but we solved it as two mature human beings right at the spot (outside of work ofc). I honestly interact with him as with any other coworker, we barely talk at work. We've known each other for a year at work before we started dating, he had his own group of coworkers he was hanging out with during breaks and I had mine, and that didn't change. Absolutely nothing changed. I think if we didn't tell other no one would even notice, lol. We do occasionally go eat outside during lunch break, but rarely. He does his own tasks, I do mine. The only interaction related to work that we have is daily meeting with the rest of the team, and maybe some questions here and there related to project, and that's it. We have different roles and we mostly work independently (we don't need each other). And neither is superior to other, we have the same boss. I think that even if we broke up we could co-exist in the same place as we always did, nothing would change. He is excellent at his work and I know he would never "act badly" towards me (or any other coworker) when we would have to interact for work related stuff just because he has a personal issue. Same goes for me, no matter what would happen, I will always respect his work and treat him as a coworker. Only immature people would treat coworkers like shit just because of personal grudge. And we're also not the type of people who would use work as an excuse to "patch things up" or bother one another with feelings and personal thoughts. Like for example, lets say I dump him and he gets extremely clingy and sad about it and wants to make me forgive him - he would never do it at work. If I would tell him to stop talking to me he would stop, but we would still talk about work at work ofc. And then would blow my phone up after work, lol. Joking, he would not do that, and neither would I. We're both same when it comes to breakups and issues in relationship - when it's bad it's time to breakup, and when we breakup it's finished for good. All in all, I'm glad that we're coworkers, tbh. I feel kind of better knowing that he's there too, it really does has its pros. And I know a lot of other coworkers who are dating as well, even married with kids. So I vote A! :)

Most Helpful Guy

• To me it's up to how close our proximity is. I'm an animator, I work with agents, voice actors and talent often. Had a relationship with a colleague on a film set. She was cinematographer, so the only time we really spent time together at work was when we were working on shots together.

The general rule is as follows though, and a wise rule it is.. Don't Sh! t where you eat.