Is “I don’t want a relationship right now” ever really legit?

I’ve always believed that when you find the right person that you’ll change your mind about relationships and want to be in one. However, recently one of my best guy friends, who’s spent the last 2 years saying he doesn’t want a relationship, has been seeing this girl who I thought FOR SURE was the one who’d change his mind. But she didn’t and they just ended. I asked him what the hell was up because he was letting go someone amazing and he said “I moved for my career and am still figuring out my life. i May not still be here in a year, I’m new to the area and want to get settled. I have so much I want to work on for myself that I need to be single and selfish right now. Even though I’m in love with her, if I committed to her I’d be a shitty boyfriend right now and she deserves more than that. If she was okay with casual until I’m ready I’d be more than willing to do that but that isn’t fair to ask of her. I love her so I have to let her go. I want her to be happy”

This shocked me and now I’m wondering if guys who have said similar things to me in the past weren’t completely full of shit.

Just curious what your guys thoughts are on the subject. Is there ever a reason where “I love you but don’t want a relationship right now” isn’t complete BS and actually the truth? Or is it truly just that you’re not the one if they’re telling you that?

830

Most Helpful Guys

• Sure. There are plenty of people for whom career will come first. There are also plenty of people who just aren't ready and want to work on themselves first, whether it be something they're facing in their lives or some wall in the past that they have to break down before they feel comfortable having a relationship again.

Plenty of people out there don't want the traditional married life and kids - they just want to keep things casual. And I say, more power to them. We've reached a new time in our lives as humans when people don't feel they have to stick to traditional routes - if you want a family and kids, great. If you want to be single for the rest of your life, have casual relationships, or don't believe in the institution of marriage, that's great as well.

The more options people have when it comes to how they live their lives, the better. That way, everyone can have what they want and nobody needs to feel that they HAVE to do what everyone else is doing.

More options= Better for everyone.

Also, you're making the assumption that they were right for each other - but you were on the outside looking in. Anyone who has friends and who has loved before know that friends don't always get it right when it comes to who is or is not THE ONE. Maybe your friend is one of those who wants to keep it casual. Maybe your friend is one of those who wants to work on himself until he can get to a place where he feels he's ready for a relationship. Maybe your friend just isn't really into the girl in question.

People are complex. People are varied. People are individuals first and foremost.

• You knocked with your answer. The best one I ever read and you are completely right because it is ssomething that just recenty happen to me and even if Im 47 years old single, no dating no boyfriend no kids and never married, the guy I am attracted to now, we only had been on dates 2 times and I enjoyed his company we ended up making out at the end of each date but we are not a couple we are not in a relationship either, in fact we dont even see each other often or on a regular basis but we are friends. He enjoys being single and being with that freedom that only being single can bring him, but he does not want to have a relationship much less get married inthe future. He says he does nto want the drama that comes to being ina relationship steady with a woman So I dont know if he wil ever really find the girl who will change his mind about relationships or he will contineu to be a single bachelor forever and just will enjoy to hang out with his buddies and fool around with girls and having fun.

• He is 45. I wish I could go out with him again for a date but for him if we go out again for another date and this will be our 3rd date together he wants to have sex finally with me. Because I think that the more I see this guy like to more dates he wotn like it becaue for him dating more and going out more often with a woman or me is like developing a relationship eventually and relationship is something he does not want other than being friends wth the woman. So is the reason the guy and I we dotn see each other that often, even if I wish i see him more often becaue I like him and he knows I do. So the more dating I do with this guy sex has to be involved probably in most dates. Guys at that age (mid 40´s who are stll single) do not settle anymore with just date, dinner and talk, they want more out of it, otherwise they rather dont waste time on the woman who do not agree on that. That is my belief what happen with single mid age men.

• It’s bullshit mostly from my experience. As a teen, I asked a girl out over the phone. She was rejecting me politely & eventually explained “I just don’t want a boyfriend right now.”

Three months later, she was dating my classmate...

I no longer believe any woman who uses that excuse on me. It just won’t work. Every girl attractive enough to grab my attention will always be open to relationships, no matter what they say. And if they reject me for that false reason, I would doubt they’d do the same for Channing Tatum’s doppelgänger

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow, he respects himself and her to know that she deserves better than what he can offer her right now. He knows the timing isn't right and isn't going to allow her to consider lowering her standards by asking for something casual because he knows that would only benefit him. He's not a boy, he's a man. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻