Why do I struggle with rejection from guys so much?

ever sense highschool I’ve always had a rough time with getting turned down by the guy I liked. I don’t think I’m ugly or anything and people tell me that I have a bubbly personality. I’m pretty out going and I love to make friends but I get really discouraged when it comes to the guys I like. Im very bad at flirting and I think that may be part of the reason? but I honestly don’t know. I used to get bullied pretty badly in highschool by both guys and girls and that also discouraged me a lot when it came to dating, I felt like no guy would really ever want to be with me because people would often call me “the weird girl” I didn’t know how to really be anything but myself but it also felt pretty isolating and lonely. I don’t know how to talk to guys without being awkward and it makes me not want to try because I feel like I’m just going to get turned down again. if anyone has any advice to maybe make things easier for me when it comes to dating it would be appreciated!
I appreciate the positive feedback and advice! Thanks y’all!

522

Most Helpful Guys

• Rejection is hard because attached with it is a perception (sometimes, a reality, but not always) of denial to one's character. When someone rejects you, you feel as if they are denying who you are or that your credibility is insufficient to their standards.

Rather, see it as an incompatibility instead of a flaw of character (interpersonal and character development is for you to work on by yourself, not for others to pick on).

It's going to hurt no matter what, but at least you can control your perception and take action to building yourself up instead of tearing yourself down. Sometimes weird is good - interpret it as someone different, non-conforming to the status quo - maybe you just removed a small group of guys that couldn't comprehend the amazing things you have to offer. Why have a bunch of people like you when you can have a few that really care and that one guy that will fall in love with you for simply you?

Time is a powerful element - be patient and build up yourself (don't fake it and put on masks to fit in, make your reality someone else's and draw people to your awesomeness).

You're not alone on this. If people were more honest and considerate, things would go smoother and better for both parties involved. Yet, we deal with this element of rejection. Think of it this way - every rejection tries to push you back from being you - use it as a stepping stone for being and building a stronger, better, and even more compassionate version of you.

Good luck on your endeavors and stay strong.

• I struggled with this myself around that age. Things that i did i wouldn't suggest anyone else try, but I'm going to attempt at relaying the messages i feel were important.

Remember to be yourself. Get used to meeting people as yourself instead of what you may think they want to meet.

Without extremes *** the worst the average person is going to say is "No." It may be more hash sounding but realistically unless they are someone you all ready have a friendship with you will probably never run into them again. So forget about it, because they did.

Remember your own self worth. The most important. Remind yourself that they are doing you a favor by rejecting. It is a lot better than "yes" for the wrong reason.

Most Helpful Girl

• Omg. This was also my nickname!! I've always struggled with the same kind of stuff. Personally, I just had to wait for someone to appreciate my quirkiness and let me be myself. My best advice is to smile more. My husband always wishes I was happier.