Is it common courtesy to be dating just one person at a time?

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends
    Vote C
  • (Results)
    Vote D

1132

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't know. I don't see the point of declaring yourself as "exclusive" normally if that option was completely off the table.

I never did it simply because that's too much for me. I'm like trying to just remember the girl's birthday and interests and things like that. I don't want to end up accidentally mixing up the info of one girl with another which would be extremely awkward.

So I just didn't have the multitasking capabilities to do that, and I liked to really absorb myself and really get engaged in one girl at a time with the hope that something more could come out of it. I'm kind of focused on one at a time by nature that way.

• My belief is yes it is fine to date more than one person at a time, but if you get to the place where you have feelings or you're thinking more serious then you stop. An example is I'm going on first dates with more than one woman, but if I start seeing one woman more than a few times and she and I are making plans to date more, then I'll stop going on first dates with other women. I would also initiate the exclusivity conversation to make sure she and I both feel that we should be exclusive. Once you have that stated monogamy conversation then typically there's physical intimacy but not before. If you aren't physically intimate and not in a place where you want to be monogamous, then it's casual dating at that stage and perfectly fine to date more than one.

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't think so, no. I prefer dating one person at a time, but I understand people who date a handful at a time. You're just dating and getting to know each other. It's not serious, nor have you vowed to be exclusive. But those who are dating more than one person, should let the people they're dating know. It shouldn't be kept a secret, because that would be dishonest. But until you've talked about being exclusive, I don't think it's fair to expect the other person to not see other people. And those who prefer to date only one person at a time are free to dump those who date several. It's really not that deep.

• 4d

I would compare it to making friends. People are commenting that you somehow can't make a connection with a person if you're dating a few others, too. I disagree. That's like saying you can't befriend a lot of people at once. You totally can. People are capable of multi-tasking and being social with many people at the same time. Sure, it might take a little bit longer to figure out who they want to really go for. But at the end of the day they're saving a lot more time if you compare it to how much time they could waste on dating people one at a time, who then turn out to be wrong for them.

• 4d

Very much agreed!!

• Yes!

Good grief, this is why it's so hard for us single people to find dates nowadays: some people thinking it's okay to date more than one person at a time, instead of focusing on ONE person. When I'm dating someone, I focus my time and energy on them, not other men... that's selfish and rude.

But I guess I'm just old fashioned and am just to have one person willing to give me a chance. If another person (s) asked me out, I'd simply say I'm seeing someone else or trying to get to know another guy right now.
    Maybe it things don't work out, then I'll call or get in touch if he's still interested.