Is it common courtesy to be dating just one person at a time?

Is it common courtesy to be dating just one person at a time?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Depends
    Vote C
  • (Results)
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't know. I don't see the point of declaring yourself as "exclusive" normally if that option was completely off the table.

I never did it simply because that's too much for me. I'm like trying to just remember the girl's birthday and interests and things like that. I don't want to end up accidentally mixing up the info of one girl with another which would be extremely awkward.

So I just didn't have the multitasking capabilities to do that, and I liked to really absorb myself and really get engaged in one girl at a time with the hope that something more could come out of it. I'm kind of focused on one at a time by nature that way.

1|0
    0|0
  • My belief is yes it is fine to date more than one person at a time, but if you get to the place where you have feelings or you're thinking more serious then you stop. An example is I'm going on first dates with more than one woman, but if I start seeing one woman more than a few times and she and I are making plans to date more, then I'll stop going on first dates with other women. I would also initiate the exclusivity conversation to make sure she and I both feel that we should be exclusive. Once you have that stated monogamy conversation then typically there's physical intimacy but not before. If you aren't physically intimate and not in a place where you want to be monogamous, then it's casual dating at that stage and perfectly fine to date more than one.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't think so, no. I prefer dating one person at a time, but I understand people who date a handful at a time. You're just dating and getting to know each other. It's not serious, nor have you vowed to be exclusive. But those who are dating more than one person, should let the people they're dating know. It shouldn't be kept a secret, because that would be dishonest. But until you've talked about being exclusive, I don't think it's fair to expect the other person to not see other people. And those who prefer to date only one person at a time are free to dump those who date several. It's really not that deep.

1|0
    0|0
    • 4d

I would compare it to making friends. People are commenting that you somehow can't make a connection with a person if you're dating a few others, too. I disagree. That's like saying you can't befriend a lot of people at once. You totally can. People are capable of multi-tasking and being social with many people at the same time. Sure, it might take a little bit longer to figure out who they want to really go for. But at the end of the day they're saving a lot more time if you compare it to how much time they could waste on dating people one at a time, who then turn out to be wrong for them.

• 4d

Very much agreed!!

• Yes!

Good grief, this is why it's so hard for us single people to find dates nowadays: some people thinking it's okay to date more than one person at a time, instead of focusing on ONE person. When I'm dating someone, I focus my time and energy on them, not other men... that's selfish and rude.

But I guess I'm just old fashioned and am just to have one person willing to give me a chance. If another person (s) asked me out, I'd simply say I'm seeing someone else or trying to get to know another guy right now.
    Maybe it things don't work out, then I'll call or get in touch if he's still interested.

1|2
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 30

• It is always best to be clear. There is a reason why there are baby step phases early on. One of them traditionally is "being exclusive". If being exclusive was automatic, it wouldn't have ever become a step in the process.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes, unless the other parties involved are aware of the situation and agree or are okay with you seeing other people simultaneously. My opinion? Date one at a time, people aren’t objects and to truly understand a person you need to devote time in getting to know them. If you have other people in the mix, focus towards any one of them will be hard to impossible and most importantly, there’s a type of moral and loyalty issue with dating multiple people at the same time. I don’t see it as right.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'll only date 1 girl at a time out of respect for her and because if you're dating multiple people and you really connect with one of them and make your decision , you're probably going to hurt the others or make them feel less about themselves.

4|1
    0|0
  • That is the way I think it should be
    Focus everything on the one instead of trying to give multiple people your energy.
    How can you see and be focus on all at once without Missing something or not giving them each equal care

3|1
    0|0
    • 5d

And at least one person would have wasted your time instead of multiple people at once waste your all that time

• We have a limited time in our existence. If you are intending on having a relationship, my recommendation would be to date as many people as possible. As long as you let them know that they aren't the only one, then no harm is done. That would be common courtesy.

1|1
    1|1
  • I would assume a pretty girl that goes on a date with me may also date other guys in the meantime so I wouldn't be surprized. after she had a taste of my package and we are official on the other hand that would be insulting if she had others on the line

1|0
    0|0
  • I am open to the idea of considering many* but once i like someone and date, i would stick only* with her and not date anyone else.
    It isn't courtesy but rather a personal choice*

1|0
    0|0
  • You can't really know someone wile dating if you are dating others as well. All your thoughts are gonna be split and you will not be able to have a proper reflection from where you are standing and what you are really looking for.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. People who are smart about dating date as many people as possible.

1|0
    1|0
  • Depends how deep the dating is. If it’s very shallow it does not matter as long as you do not knowingly lead anyone on

1|0
    0|0
  • Idc as long as you're just dating casually it's always good to have a backup!

1|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely, on both teams... i can't imagine how it would feel being on a date with someone who has other dates lined up.

2|0
    0|0
  • No. You never know when you'll find someone you deem as better or they do. It's best to have a back up plan until you make it official, if you're just dating there shouldn't be any rules

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes
    Otherwise MAKE IT CLEAR
    So you won't be leading people on

3|1
    0|0
  • People aren't dispensable quantities you can come to whenever you like or throw away at your discretion.
    If you're dating you should be committed to seeing if there is any compatibility between you too. I don't see it truly being of pure intent and I think it hinder your ability to actually to connect with someone (if that is in fact you are seeking). Also I don't think anybody with selfrespect would prefer the person they are dating to also date other people. It's like going to a job interview and telling the hiring manager that you are also looking for jobs except in this case it's with human beings and not jobs.

3|1
    0|1
  • i don't think so. i think it's fine to see more people. however at the point where you have sex it's time to stop that.

1|0
    0|0
  • Dating does not mean relationship or commitment. It means looking to see if it will work. What if another person is better.

1|1
    0|0
  • I love this. Guy asks pretty much the same question, gets a lot of shit (actual case here, commented there). Girl asks, everyone is nice. :-D

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends if you tell them you plan to date other people

1|0
    0|0
  • Dating multiple is fine, being in a relationship/sexually involved with multiple is not, unless you make that clear to all parties.

1|0
    0|0
  • To me it doesn't matter as long she isn't having sexual contact with them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Common courtesy? It's not a courtesy, you're not doing a favor, it's acting normal.

1|0
    0|0
  • Lololo fuck common courtesy.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes or at least inform other person about it

1|0
    0|0
  • It makes things easier :-)

1|0
    0|0
  • I would say so

1|0
    0|0
  • of course what are you dating many guys

1|0
    0|0
  • Only if you've had an explicit conversation with the other person that you agree to see each other exclusively. This should NEVER be assumed.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no. I used to believe one person at a time. but after seeing some of the Thotty behavior of women i really don't blame guys who do it. I still wouldn't but i get it now.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• Cheating I believe gets people killed unless you talk before hand and still gotta be careful. Maybe I watch to much of investigation discovery.

1|0
    0|0
    • 4d

Hahaha I ought to be careful then!

• Show All
    • 4d

And I see you’re into those investigation/crime documentaries. I love them!

• 4d

Yea they woman gets her boyfriend to kill her husband and other way around.

• It's okay to have multiple dates with different people, just as long as you are not in a relationship with all of those people without their consent

1|1
    0|0
  • If you and your partners are into polygamy, then sure-- but if you do not have the consent of your first partner, it's cheating so, it depends

1|0
    0|1
  • as long as you're casually dating you don't have to devote all your time to one person.

1|1
    0|1
  • Literally hate when people talk/date more than one person.

2|1
    0|1
  • I just say that people need to be clear about their intentions.

1|0
    0|0
  • Duh.

1|1
    0|0
  • i am as courteous to the guy i'm fucking as i was to the guy i was fucking a few hours before him

1|0
    0|1
  • Its called not being a total piece of shit

2|2
    0|1

Recommended myTakes