Would you stay with a guy your family didn't approve of?

I've been dating this guy since September, but we have been talking since February. I really love him, I can't even say like. We are engaged and my parents are happy for me, but I'm not convinced that they are. Every time I bring him up they seen to get annoyed. I know it can be annoying so I don't bring him up. He is very respectful of my decisions, but doesn't really talk to my parents. When he tries they just walk away, so they don't put in any effort either.
I've gotten a lot of feedback from both sides it is my life he is not a bad guy. He tells me everything and I mean everything. My parents don't know him like I do. They let me go out with him and then they talk to my sisters about him. I hear this from my sisters. They should tell me directly not behind my back.

3428

Most Helpful Guys

• I think the first step may be to sit down and have a chat with your parents openly and honestly about your feelings. It could be that they feel things are moving quickly but dont want to upset things by saying that.. it would seem there is something they wanna say but can’t or haven’t yet.. getting that out in the open would be good as your gonna marry him and they will be part of that I assume. As you love him I’m sure they will see that and get on board with really opening up to him and letting him in also. Remind them that you love them and them Bringing your fiancé into the family means would mean a lot to you. :)

• Thank you! I haven't even thought about that honestly, but I will give it a try

• Sometimes it’s just about them realising that they are loosing their little girl... your warmth and love will win with them :)

• That's what I think too. I know that when i become a parent my little girl will always be my little girl the same if i have a son. Now that i think about it i don't think anyone will ever be good enough for my kids and they probably think the same

• Don't make same mistake I did. Ieft family for a women now regretting.

• That's exactly why I want them to at least get to know him. He really is a sweet person, caring and respectful. Since love is blind maybe they see something I don't.

• They will only see what they want see. Not necessarily agreeing with you. Family can be very judgmental at times of marriage. Emotions especially in holiday season can be tested times to bring up topics they might not be ready for. Biggest factor will be how will you pay your wedding etc.

• I've been saving up since I've started working at 18 I have a decent amount and so does he. He also has friends that are djs so that saves money too

Most Helpful Girls

• So you constantly talk about your relationship and when your family gets annoyed you turn into 'they must hate him!!! he must be a bad boy" like what? oh I saw the update why do you care what they think? and for all you know sisters could had made that up. Some women get jealous and do fuck up things.

• I don't know about other people but if they really don't like him wouldn't you think your mom bring it up? I mean if they care about you they talk to about him. Sounds like your sister made it up or you go confront your parents and see what they say. Don't say it's sisters who said that say it was like your aunt or something.

• Thank you I will try talking to them

• Yes, I would because it’s my life. My family is pretty easy going as long as he treats me right, and has a job. He’s family lol

• Agree 100% This is love and maturity.

• I agree with this too he has a good job making good money and respects me and my decisions my parents just don't see that I don't know why but they don't. I had to hear from my sisters what they think not from her directly. I try to get them to talk to see how they feel and they don't "don't have time" if they have time to talk to my sisters about this why not talk to me.

• Accept your parents for who they are. As we mature, we become an individual and make adult decisions. You want that love from your parents, it may not work the way you wish, but trust that they will stand by you and love you and allow you to make the mistakes in life. Thats how we learn.
      If you met a man who you can give yourself to trust and love him. Then ask yourself, if you are making a good decison.
      I would give it more time for the relationshp to mature a bit more.