What makes a marriage last?

0|3

Most Helpful Girl

• There's no magic formula but after our 40 years I suppose the recipe is to learn to compromise, never forget to say I love you every day, call when you can't be together and be there for one another every step of way both in sickness and health. At this time of the year remember it's the little things you do that count not necessarily the big sumptuous gifts.

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 57

• A lasting marriage requires that both partners have love, lust, trust and respect for each other, and that each is willing to stay and work on problems when they are encountered rather than pulling the plug and saying goodbye.

4|1
    0|0
  • Compatibility, mutual respect, trying new things, and patience.

1|1
    0|0
  • A comedian once said that men are the most simple creatures on the planet.
    *Feed us
    *Water us
    *Fuck us
    If you can manage those three things, we'll follow you to the ends of the Earth. We'll even take a bullet for you (depending on the caliber of the bullet.)

1|0
    0|0
    • πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• But if it's a 44 magnum. She's on her own.
      "Baby, I'm going to miss you. Don't worry, I make sure to feed your cat."
      What makes a marriage last?

• the women is happy... if she goes below happy then the marriage is screwed...

marriage only benefits the women. The guy works and hunts. the women is pretty much the slave master.

When the guy screws up he gets lynched. The man like the slave has no say or benefits.

0|2
    2|0
    • Isn't that highly sexist to men?

• Show All
    • Says the one having an emotional breakdown? Wow man, I'm not going to keep talking to someone throwing a tantrum like this. Grow up. End of conversation.

• i'm pretty calm actually.

• Maturity. To know that it will not be easy and not be perfect.
    Commitment. to decide that you will stay with the person, even if your life is hell. (I can't believe I have to explain this, but I mean really hard. Not that you are in an abusive situation, or something of an evil nature.)
    Love. not the feeling of infatuation, but the decision to put the good of the other person before your own, for their own sake.

2|0
    0|0
  • What makes a marriage last is love. Love eachother other without having sex all the time. I've seen it and you don't require much more.

Do other things! Be active in life, you don't need to spend a lot of money

3|0
    0|0
  • Women want endless attention, validation, sex and money but not always in that order. Once a guy fails with just one of these things the marriage will hit rocky ground and then it is only a matter of time before she cheats, bails or both.

0|1
    3|0
    • ^^^^^^^^^^^ This right here ^^^^^^^^^^

• I disagree as people are different when it comes to love. While there definitely are women who needs a lot of attention to feel loved its not all of them, we can get uninterested when we get too much or too little attention and i feel its probably the same for men on that one. When it comes to validation its basically the same as the attention, while some needs a lot of validation some doesn't need any at all. When it comes to sex id also say its the same. Money might be a bit different as it varies from person to person and is way more sensitive i think, if you do not have any income or very little income she will feel unsafe as the economy is most likely unstable. If she cares about you she will tell you about it and request you get another job. If she doesn't or simply feels too unsafe she might leave you.

• When you don't believe in divorce and work hard to make it always work, fix things instead of dumping them

2|0
    0|0
  • Trust, intuition, patience, trying to understand what is going on with the person without judging and guessing, acceptance, passion, seriousness, caring, forgetting about ego, and for most, letting the person you love do the same and not pushing, and of course, the most important... LOVE

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. Mutual love, trust, and respect.
    2. Important beliefs and values held in common /compatibility.
    3. A whole lot of understanding and forgiveness.

3|0
    0|0
  • Enough things within the marriage to make it last. From personalities to beliefs, to cultures, to environments... I could go on and on and on. But essentially, the two people do everything to make it work.

0|0
    0|0
  • Patience and self-sacrifice. The main reason for marriage is to help sanctify the other. It can take great sacrifice!

1|0
    0|0
  • Trust and always listening to each other that makes things a lot easier through the years. also respect

1|0
    0|0
  • Dinner πŸ₯˜
    A clean home
    Sex
    Romance
    Family events
    Vacations
    Dates at age 65 like it was your first date

The rest like communication and all that is the obvious lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Love, understanding, compromise, respect, fidelity, honesty, and passion.

0|0
    0|0
  • The interest, the respect, the responsibility, the faith.

2|0
    0|0
  • You must place the relationship above petty differences. If you don't it will fail.

Love is about giving, not getting.

0|0
    0|0
  • Compatibility, mutual respect, trying new things, and patience. Also big plus good sex and money
    Actually, many of the arguments are and will be money issues

0|0
    0|0
  • A wife that makes a sincere effort to kept themselves looking good.

0|0
    3|0
  • Commitment and not mistakenly believing that infatuation is love.

1|0
    0|0
  • A selectively deaf husband and a selectively blind wife.

1|0
    0|0
  • Love, understanding, financial freedom and lot of sex.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not letting either one of them divorce or flee to another coutnry.

0|0
    0|0
  • No reason to leave the other.

No benefit from leaving the other.

Mutual love between the married.

0|0
    0|0
  • Communication, love, care, trust, loyalty, honesty, compatibility having fun with each other etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • What makes a marriage last is that they both respect each other and show how much they love each other. Guys don't always have to buy fancy clothes or jewelry to show they love their wife, they could just talk to them or sit down and watch a movie at home or to a theatre. And girls don't always have to buy them gaming consoles or games for them. They could just listen to their husband sometimes or go to the store with him. Marriage isn't always about sex or kids, its about loving one another and making sure both know they are loved.

0|0
    0|0
  • loyalty, mutual care, mutual love, mutual understanding, mutual respect, adjustment

0|0
    0|0
  • Good sex
    Open communication
    Great careers
    Happy husband is a happy home.

0|0
    0|0
  • Compromise and respect

2|0
    0|0
  • Easy Just Marry The Right Person, That's All

2|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 28

• I think a marriage lasts when the couple puts an effort into it. When they always see their partner (by see i mean they see their needs and their emotions and stuff) , when they make the partner feel special and wanted always. I'm not married but my mom always says marriage is work.

4|1
    0|0
  • It is a combination of a multitude of elements and a lot of understanding. Placing one's needs behind the ones of the spouse but above all, a lasting marriage has no room for egoism.

What starts as a union based on love both mental and physical interactions, progressively makes room for a togetherness that is more based on mutual trust. Priorities have changed from long term planning to a more down to earth and short term fulfillment.

Once sexuality has lost the importance it had in the youth, other priorities emerge like being there for the other, appreciating the smaller things that can be made together.

But the secret of a lasting marriage is always to be honest and true to the other, giving in even when you know you are right, giving compliments and a plethora of small attentions and gestures.

And once you have not even your memories to remember all the things you did together, just to hold the hand of the love of your life till the last breath, that my friend, that is what a happy and lasting marriage is all about.

1|0
    0|0
  • Persistence, growing together instead of apart, constantly getting to know the person that you're with because we're ever-changing creatures and finally I would say that you should never give up on romance it's the little things that makes a person fall for you even more everyday.

1|0
    0|0
  • Compatibility plays a big part in it, as do trust, loyalty, respect and good communication, as in talk to your partner. If your S/O is acting a certain way or doing something that you have a problem with, bring it up. Don't stay silent and hope they'll stop on their own, that's how resentment builds up. Fight properly, don't walk out and give them the silent treatment, or scream/curse at them (that's being disrespectful.) Remember, it's not You vs Your S/O, it's you and your S/O vs The problem.

Of course, there are many more elements to a good relationship, but I think these are the things that'll keep the emotional bond strong.

1|0
    0|0
  • My parents have been married 30 years. I asked them and they said listening to eachother and working through whatever problems have.

2|0
    0|0
  • People who are honest to themselves and each other BEFORE hand.

1|0
    0|0
  • β€’ Being honest with each other
    β€’ Respecting each other
    β€’ Loyalty
    β€’ keeping the fun up and just being yourself

1|0
    0|0
  • Love will dissapear, but all you need is commitment both of you. Commitment to stay even the worst time.

1|0
    1|1
  • Mutual love, trust , understanding, and communication.

1|0
    0|0
  • Love, compatibility, caring for each other, supporting each other.

1|0
    0|0
  • Mutual Respect, Trust, Compatiblity, Patience, Spend time together and etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • honesty, communication, and laughing together.

1|0
    0|0
  • Trust, love, honesty and time spend together

1|0
    0|0
  • Compromise I think.
    We’ll see 🀣🀣🀣🀣

2|0
    0|0
  • Communication

1|0
    0|0
  • Lots of money. Lots, lots, lots of it.

0|2
    2|1
  • Communication!

1|0
    0|0
  • patience and keeping the relationship hot/fun.

1|0
    0|0
  • Trust and Communication.

1|0
    0|0
  • Putting each other first :p

1|0
    0|0
  • compromise, compromise and more compromise

0|0
    0|0
  • Honesty and having fun

1|0
    0|0
  • Waste of time.

1|0
    0|0
  • Moneh

0|0
    0|0
  • Marriage is a scam lol along with religion.

0|0
    0|0
  • Communication and commitment

1|0
    0|0
  • Trust and faithfulness

1|0
    0|0
  • A good woman
    Which is hard to find

1|1
    0|0