Would you go vegetarian for someone you love?

I'm a vegetarian but my boyfriend is a meat-eater. However, he enjoys the vegetarian meals I cook for him. I am a good cook and I make healthy vegetarian food for him, he really enjoys it. He still eats meat when we go out and I don't like it. If he likes my food, why can't he go vegetarian?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• No, I would not become a vegetarian for my girlfriend, nor would I ask her to become an omnivore. If that was a must for you, you should have discussed it with you boyfriend when you were deciding to become a couple. He probably would have viewed it as a dealbreaker, and that would be a lot to ask of someone.

14|12
    0|0
  • No. I wouldn't. Humans are omnivores. That means it's natural for us to eat meat. You may as well ask if your boyfriend would give up sex, for you: another natural impulse.

It's also much easier to get all the amino acids and nutrients we need when one consumes meat. Yes, one *can* do it purely through vegetables. But it's more difficult to get all the nutrients and vitamins you need. Especially amino acids. Most plants do not have a full amino acid profile. Quinoa is one of the rare exceptions.

The thing about this world is that you are going to be killing and consuming something one way or another. There have been studies done showing that plants have analogous senses to humans. Some can even learn and have some degree of intelligence. One way or another, to exist, you must consume other life.

I do think that it would be best if we find an alternative to meat in the future, so we do not have to. I think the animals should be kept in the best condition possible for a decent life.

Anyway. No. I wouldn't stop eating meat for a woman. It tastes good, it's a great resource for my muscles, and I'm going to be consuming life one way or another.

You will have to determine whether or not you can accept your boyfriend for who he is. If you can't, then you might need to find a vegetarian man, instead.

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Being in a relationship is accepting each other how they are.
    Fucking another vegetarian that can't handle others having a choice.
    Sure, he'll eat your food to shut you up and keep you happy, doesn't mean he's hanging up the bacon for you. And you shouldn't ask him to.

1|4
    0|0
  • No way am I going to change my entire diet for someone I'm dating! You can eat whatever you want, but its people like you that really grind my gears, trying to tell everyone what to do and what to eat. If you really loved him, you wouldn't give two shits about what he eats regardless of whatever "health" or "moral" reasons you have.

3|3
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 87

• As someone who thinks they love a person, you're not being respectful of their lifestyle choices. If their lifestyle choice isn't endangering them (which it isn't in this case) nor endangering you (which it isn't) then you really have no say in the matter. If you can't handle that, then you don't deserve them and should go find a vegetarian to be with.

He's being respectful of you, so why aren't you being the same?

3|0
    0|0
  • That's too restrictive. You knew he was a meat eater. Did you join him with the premise that he'd change for you? If so, you did the wrong thing. Never expect a partner to change for you.

4|3
    0|0
  • You shouldn't have to change someone in a relationship. If you feel like you need to change them, you really don't love them as a whole. When things like these come up, either talk to him about it and compromise, or just get over it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I was a vegetarian for five years when I was younger. But no I would not become one for her. I will accept what she eats, and she'll have to accept what I eat. If she expects me to change, then that's a problem.

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s too much of a sacrifice for nothing. Meat eating for men is historical and almost like a religion, we take much pride in our steak eating habits and this should never be questioned.

Expecting him to make this unnecessary change for you will most likely let you down and create problems in your relationship for absolutely no reason.

1|0
    1|0
  • The real question is: If you love him, why does it matter that he eats meat? You're not the one eating it so has no bearing on you.

1|0
    0|0
    • Because I care about his health. It's not good to eat meat for moral and health reasons.

• Eating meat isn't necessarily unhealthy. It's like everything else. After a certain point, it becomes unhealthy, doesn't make it bad. Humans have been eating meat as long as they have existed and we are still here. Moral reasons? like what? Not eating flesh of animals? There are some animals that would eat yours without such morals.

You can care about his health, but are you going to request he gives up sweets as well? Drinking? It's his life. His diet. It has nothing to do with you. If it were doctors recommendation, that's different. Are you a doctor passing a professional opinion?

• Why aren't you eating meat for him? Do you not love him enough to eat meat for him? Do you not love him enough to respect his decisions and let him be him? Your kind of being selfish here, let it go. Unless of course you would like him to try and force you to eat meat? I mean I assume that would not be acceptable to you so you doing the equivalent to him shouldn't be either.

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't work for some people. I was for several years, but physically broke down. I think it can work for some, maybe many and I'm glad it does.

I get it is hard to deal with the smell, the thought. You have to accept other people and be yourself. could be deal breaker.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a vegetarian myself so I"m already there!

The reason your boyfriend can't go vegetarian is that he doesn't want to. Regardless of your feelings on his meat consumption, you ought to have enough respect for your partner to see passed his diet.

4|0
    0|0
  • I couldn't even if i wanted to... can only eat a certain amount of vegetables and even then very limited types due to health issues with my stomach, so wouldn't get sufficient nutrients I need to survive...

meat however only one i cannot eat is Beef due to not being able to digest it

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, I would probably eat vegetarian at home because cooking separate meals would be a hassle and I do enjoy vegetarian food.

But I would feel like it was a bit controlling for my partner to expect me to go vegetarian. If you have a problem with him eating meat maybe it was a bad idea to start dating someone whos an omnivore.

1|1
    0|0
  • A guy I know is married to a vegetarian and they just eat however they want. His wife will even cook meat for him occasionally. You trying to change him into a vegetarian is wrong. If you don't like that he eats meat, end the relationship. Just because he is an omnivore and likes what you cook doesn't mean he wants to go vegetarian. It seems to me like you treat your way of eating as a religion.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not like eating meat is a bad habit

I'd understand if it was smoking or drinking but restricting a healthy food I like for her just doesn't sound logical to me :/

4|1
    0|0
  • Lol no. I think its very excessive to insist that your partners take on your dietary habits. I wouldn’t be a dick about it, and maybe I’d eat more like a vegetarian, but I need a medium rare steak sometimes or else I’m wondering why I’m still on this rock

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I want to stay vegan. xD
    I would want my partner to understand and accept the matter and not to deny all the morals behind it. But I wouldn't have a problem with her eating it sometimes or being vegetarian and not vegan.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope I would not. I think it's ok to change some stuff about your self when you are in a relationship but if someone would force me to change something then I would immediately break up with her. Changing stuff about is healthy for a long lasting relationship but being forced to change is not healthy for you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why should someone change what they like just because the SO doesn't like it? You knew before you dated that he's a meat eater and made a choice. Just like he chose to stick with you even though you don't eat meat.
    Deal with it or leave if it's such an issue.

0|0
    0|0
  • I trained to be a chef in the days when it was still a sin to be a vegetarian and have always loved meat I do eat vegetarian stuff sometimes but I love all meat too much to give it up so I wouldn't change.

you should never change just to please someone else.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. I don't change for anyone. I am my own person. You are your own person and he is his own person. It seems that he respects your lifestyle choice and doesn't try to force his ways on you. And yet, you don't respect his and want to force your ways on him? Shame on you.

0|0
    0|0
  • why can't you eat meat for him when you go out. your a selfish controlling shithead.

Guys, this is why western women are for SEX ONLY. Get a nice Asian or Mexican girl for anything long term. great example

0|2
    0|1
    • I prefer conservative western women over foreigners. Conversation western Asian women are my weakness.

• FFS conservative not conversation lol

• Red meat is good for testosterone production. Men need our steaks.

And I get hunger pangs if I go more than a day or two with no meat.

I will go vegan for no woman.

0|2
    0|0
  • Would you eat meat once a month for him? Why do you want him to stop eating meat so much?
    Why do vegetarians and vegans try to push their eating habbits on to meat eaters so much?
    Not all of them do.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think you two should come to an agreement. Neither of you dictate who eats what.

3|3
    0|0
  • Never would. Of course you never see his side on here saying why won't my girlfriend give up being a vegetarian and go meat for me. Like vegetarians have the moral high ground or something

2|0
    0|0
  • Ny ex was a vegetarian. I didn't change due i like to eat meat. Honestly i told her am never gonna change it. She said sure np so if its a problem you dated the wrong guy. Its in my belief wrong to change a person. Not saying you are but you know :)

0|0
    0|0
  • If he became a vegetarian, would you make an exception for eating pussy? P. S. You have a boyfriend, don't you think you are too young to be having sex?

0|0
    2|1
    • She's 22, not 12.

• Show All
    • Wow good for you. Your parents must be so proud.

• @musicbrain5 Yeah, very proud. They even told Aunt Jenny about it. She bought me 2 apple pies when she found out, normally she just buys one for me for my birthday. Wish your parents were proud of you for something.

• Well I can answer this one. I became a vegan after my first combat tour. I meditated I tried to do the whole mind body spirit purification thing. Funny thing is once I removed all animal food from my diet I turned into a pussy and didn't even know it. It took me running into guys from my old team to say WTF YOUR A PUSSY. WE ARE MAKING YOU EAT A STEAK. They did and I was back to being me. Meat has something in it that helps you keep your aggressive edge, and that's a good thing. You don't want your guy trying to give a guy a hug as he is robbing you.

0|2
    0|0
  • I would consider eating less meat, could never give up bacon though! I couldn’t adapt to the Vegan concept either

0|0
    0|0
  • 0|0
    0|0
  • No I wouldn't and I would find thst an utterly unreasonable request
    I would be happy to eat more vegetarian food and enjoy home cooked vegetarian meals but I am not a vegetarian

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 69

• Liking vegetables and vegetarian food doesn't make you stop liking meat. That's why liking your food doesn't make him go veggie. Oh and no I wouldn't change my habits for love, if I change it should be a personal decision, not to please someone until we break up. If you can't date someone that doesn't eat like you do don't date that person.

0|2
    0|0
  • Because it's his choice what he puts in his body. Just as he respects the fact that you don't eat meat you should accept the fact that he enjoys it. You shouldn't push your diet on him and expect him to follow it just because he's dating you.

1|2
    0|0
  • Really? Your basically walking into a burger restaurant and getting offended about everyone is eating meat. You know he eats meat, and you knew that from the beginning of dating him... and now your trying to change him. Get over yourself, what if he tried to make you eat meat?

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. I won't change my diet just because someone else wants me to. There's already a lot of delicious foods that I can't eat because of allergies. So why would I impose more limits on my diet?

Your boyfriend has to WANT to be a vegetarian, he has to make his own choice about his diet. You can't do that and you don't know what is best for him in terms of diet. You already knew he was a meat eater when you met and started dating right?

2|1
    0|0
  • Just because he likes your food and you dont eat meat doesn't mean he has to change his entire way of life. I think its a little selfish to expect him to change his whole way of life because you're dating.

2|2
    0|0
  • That’s a resounding no from me. If I’m dating a person with a special diet, I will respect their decision but by no means will I feel obligated to adopt their diet (nor would I expect them to adopt my diet either).

0|2
    0|0
  • No I wouldn’t.

You made your choice to be a vegetarian. Why are you trying to deny his right to not be?

There is a difference between enjoying a meal and wanting to choose a workout. I mean, I enjoy swimming, it doesn’t mean I’m going to be an Olympic swimmer.

If you don’t like it, break up. You aren’t adult enough to wrap your head around free will or choices you don’t agree with, so why bother continuing?

0|2
    0|0
  • If they loved me they'd take me for who I am and not try to change me. I love bacon to much for that.

https://youtu.be/9X_ViIPA-Gc

1|2
    0|0
  • I'm already a vegetarian, but still answered no. I think it's fair to eat vegetarian together, but he should be free to make his own choices when he's not eating your food. Just like you're free to make your own choices too.

1|2
    0|0
  • I am a vegetarian. I would never dream of making my boyfriend “convert” to vegetarianism. It isn’t fair to him. He is an adult and can make whatever decisions he likes regarding his food!

You cannot go into a relationship expecting the other person to change for you. You get what you sign up for.

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s not about your food, it’s about freedom of choice. If you try to force this issue, you will drive him away. Just like you could easily met him half way and eat meat, he has met you more than half way. Don’t make him give up something he enjoys. He will either resent you, or start doing it behind your back.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm pescaterian meaning my diet is veggies and sea food. (1 or 2 times a year I flex and eat chicken.) But I could NEVER give up salmon, meaning I could never ever go vegetarian. I don't even like most veggies so I would probably die of iron deficiency on a vegetarian diet.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've seen long time married couple stay together while one being a vegetarian and the other spouse eats meat and the wife had to cook two meals and she had no problem doing that because love and respect is there in the marriage. I often cook two meals for family members who eats meats that I dont eat.

0|1
    0|0
  • My nutrition and health teacher is vegetarian and her children and her husband are meat eaters she never tries to push her diet on her kids and she still cooks meat for them. It's call compromise, many meat eaters cater to vegetarians but some of you guys don't do same for us. Also, you have no right to push your diet on to someone.

1|1
    0|0
  • Simply put, if you want to date someone you should take them as they are, not think they’re a project you can alter later. If I don’t eat meat I wouldn’t push it on my partner nor would I expect to be judged for not eating meat.

0|0
    0|0
  • Im also vegetarian dating someone who is not so I kinda see where you're comin from but I dont think its right you wanting to change him. Just because he loves you doesn't mean you xan expect him to change for you. I dont expect my boyfriend to become veg for me because thats just not him. Its good he at least eats your cooking! Some people like meat too much to chance

0|0
    0|0
  • No just because I love them doesn't mean I'm going to stop loving meat. If it was my choice then yes but if they were mad because I eat meat in dates then I probably wouldn't love them because they were trying to change me and what I do

0|1
    0|0
  • No. My boyfriend is actually vegetarian. He will eat fish sometimes but rarely. I love meat and I eat meat around him, but I will eat vegetarian around him and have no problem doing so. It's about compromise.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would not do that.
    You can’t change someone’s whole eating style for your personal satisfaction. You’re the one who chose to be with a meat eater. Now deal with the consequences.

1|1
    0|0
  • Nope. If I change my way of eating, it will only be for my own health. the only way I could become a vegetarian by my boyfriend is if he succeeds in convincing me of the benefits it will have on me, as a nutritionist would do

0|1
    0|0
  • If they cook for me yes. I’ll need some time to learn to cook as a vegetarian. But I am excited about trying new things, so definitely yes!!

0|1
    0|0
  • No, regardless of who I'm with, no guy can change my lifestyle. You can't change someone's lifestyle. You either accept/tolerate it or not date them in the first place.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Just like i don't expect him to start eating meat for me and you wouldn't like that too.
    So grow up.

1|3
    0|0
  • Why does he need to follow your diet exactly?

If my man was a vegetarian, I wouldn't mind eating vegetarian food with him but he can't expect me to stop eating meat for him.

1|1
    0|0
  • My husband is vegan for me when he's home but when he's out he eats whatever he wants. I didn't force him he wanted to do it for me cuz he knows it's important to me

0|0
    0|1
  • No that’s what I like and grew up on. You can’t ask someone to change and shouldn’t ask someone to change. You still have it good because he could cook meat on top of what you make him.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't go veg cause I just can't. But I'd be happy to eat whatever he cooks for me.😅

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't mind dating a vegetarian or having more veggie dishes, but I refused give up meat. How you give up pets because he hates pets?

0|0
    0|0
  • Put yourself in his shoes. Imagine him saying to you that he wants you to stop being a vegetarian and be 100% completely honest with yourself when you think about if that would ever be okay with you? Would you change something you consider fundamental to your being, so easily? If he is a good guy and you really and truly love him, what he chooses or does not choose to eat should matter to you not. It sounds crazy to say but you cannot feel or experience what it feels like to be a vegetarian...for him...it's impossible. Enjoy that he enjoys your cooking, but choose to love him for who he is and not focus on what he eats.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not a big meat eater as it is. It wouldn't be hard for me to go vegetarian.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes