Are you thankful for your exes regardless of whether they were good or bad?

I'm thankful even for the horrible ones because they taught me that I deserved better.
The nice taught me never to take anything for granted.
https://youtu.be/gl1aHhXnN1k

2|3

Most Helpful Guys

• Everyone has a part to play in the story that is your life, even if they're there only for one chapter. So yes, we should be thankful for the lessons imparted. Good one.

1|0
    0|0
  • Each one of my exes played some role in molding me into the person I am today. Some were negative, some were positive, but all were important.

https://youtu.be/0Ga9zMZf3LU

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes , because past failed relationships have taught me more about myself. They taught me what I do and don't want from a relationship and partner. They helped me to know what does and doesn't make me happy in a relationship

1|0
    0|0
  • Actually? Yes I am.
    They taught me:
    - What to look for, and avoid in a guy
    - Helped me realize what type of person I am
    - Made me realize I can care for another person other than myself
    - Taught me I CAN do better, and not to settle for the first guy that shows me an iota of attention
    - That contrary to how I view myself, some weird guys out there actually thought I was worthy and attractive enough to date or pursue

So even though things ended poorly with all my exes, at least I did grow and become stronger from the experiences

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 53

• Never really thought about it that way, but I guess you can be grateful for the good times you had.

2|0
    0|0
  • I have very little animosity with any of my ex's. The few who were crazy didn't last long enough to really be angry, and all the others were ended amicably. For some reason, I tend to fall for people who move away (for various reasons that have nothing to do with me).

The last girl I was with for almost 4 years, and she originally didn't want to date because she was from the east coast and had moved to California when her mother was transferred, and knew that she would move back when her mom retired.

So, yeah. Just because those weren't "forever" relationships doesn't mean that they weren't good at the time and I am happy I had them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no. I'm glad I was able to experience it. The silver lining is that I'm glad for all the good times and the hard lessons I had to learn but the aftermath did a lot of damage. I'm not sure it's outweighs the other. I'm in shambles more than I was before her.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm thankful that I experienced love, letting go of it was tough but I am glad I experienced the sensation of love, even though I do not wish to go through it again...

1|0
    0|0
  • I think I would be thankful for an ex except if she's been structurally rude to me. If she worked me out of the house my respect would be non-existing :-(
    If we decided in good mutual understanding to separate, I'd be thankful for the nice times together.

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess. My last girlfriend who left me kinda woke me up and I realized I needed help badly. I’ve had mild depression when I was with her but now that she is gone I have spiraled out of control and into the “why bother” phase and wishing I die in my sleep at some point. I don’t think that was what my ex intended but that was when I had that epiphany.

1|0
    0|0
  • Only my ex that I was with a bit over 2 years ago because she exposed me to the realities of a more long term relationship. Even though we weren't together long, we made the most out of our time together and she was also the only one who didn't cheat on me. All the rest are irrelevant in my life. If I could go back and change my history so that I never met them, I'd do it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I am thankful for my only ex. She tought me one way or another that communication is very important and that you can't force things. A relationship shouldn't be difficult even if it's long distance, and if it is, better break up after doing all you can, instead of trying to keep up with something that is not working.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes... there are one or two where I wish I could take the sex and relationship experience away from them, but the rest I don't regret.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I was a late bloomer, only entered the dating game at end of last year. Broke up with ex back in Feb in bad circumstances. As much as i feel aggrieved by her actions I still recognise the good she did for me. Met someone new back in June, only lasted couple of months, but learnt a lot and gave me confidence. Met someone new in August, we're doing ok

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I've learned volumes from them of myself and women and people. I'd still say I wish I had a good happy and committed one and that be it, but then I wouldn't know what I know now...

1|0
    0|0
  • Even though I'm not really in contact with either of them, I have fond memories of being with them and we parted on good terms. I don't know if I'm thankful, but I don't regret spending time with them.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would only run her over once with my car, but I wouldn't reverse over her. I think that's pretty kind of me 🤗

1|0
    0|0
  • I say they kinda gave me a picture of what I really want. also the people who bullied me and the people who had an influence on me are to thank because they helped me become less naive

1|0
    0|0
  • Kind of... all of my relationships gone wrong were very enlightening. Being thankful for my exes is like bing thankful for having a certain teacher for a class I didn't want to take.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not thankful really, but I more so honor and appreciate the times we did spend together because at that moment it was something special, and to deny that would be just silly

1|0
    0|0
  • Thankful for the good times we had, yes but for everything else, not at all. My last ex taught me a lot of things about people and all of them are bad.

1|0
    0|0
  • If I had any, I feel I would from at least time to time. How often would depend of things like the reasons for the breakups, but I try to stay thankful.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I am happy they even gave me a chance. And the 3 I had (it's complicated) I'm still friends with and have some sort of communication with each other.

1|0
    0|0
  • With every relationship you learn something new about yourself and what you want and what you deserve

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm thankful for the one who took my virginity and I'm thankful for the one who showed me all her red flags on our first date, all of which I diligently ignored.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm thankful for the blades of grass that are occupying the nearby hill for me. What? What kind of a question is this? I swear to God this "thankful" thing is meaningless and arbitrary.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely yes, however one can be very lonely knowing what to look for , even afraid to go forward from what an ex has done

1|0
    0|0
    • It takes a while but you get there in the end and it's the biggest relief when you realise how much better your life is when you let go of the past.

• Relief indeed and in so many ways

• Yeah of course. Ariana Grande is such an original song writer...

1|0
    0|0
  • No.. My ex left my face scarred, and left me afraid of women.. She only taught me what i will not tolerate out of a woman.

1|0
    0|0
  • "I deserved better"
    I hear this crap too often to not consider it egotism.
    Why can't it just be accepted it for what it was instead of having to pad the ego?

0|0
    0|0
  • They were nice people, no problems with them, except maybe after the breakup, but deep down they were very nice girls.
    Grateful? I don't know about that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I've learned I'm happier being single. That may change in the future.

2|0
    0|0
  • Certainly not. I am thankful for my children, but the egg donors, no.

1|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 31

• I would not say I'm thankful but I would say I benefitted from it because I learned that intelligence and looks and appearance and charm is not enough to guarantee a good relationship. We were never abusive to each other but he was a very poor communicator and also he was always too busy to give me the time and attention I wanted and his best friend was a lot more attractive than me and I always had the fear of being dumped for her. He said he didn't like her at all but I did not believe him. If he did not like her personality - why would they be best friends?

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure most of them I’m glad. Only because well I know now what I’m looking for. Or at least it’s narrowed down a bit. But one in particular I wish I never met him. He did me dirty in the worst way possible. I see no good it did for me. Just the truth

1|0
    0|0
    • What did the one do? Cheat on you with a friend or relative? :/

• @B-radley nah. Basically when I became ill and hospitalized he only stuck around when I was dying. Obviously he only felt guilty. But after getting out that’s when he ditched me. he was too busy partying and smoking when I needed someone at my worst. Physically and emotionally. On top of that I lost all my friends because of him xD so he’s garbage. I gained nothin haha 😆

• You found out who he really was. You found out you don't want a guy like him. Why did you lose your friends? Because he said something to them? Because he left you in a position where you had to choose him or them? Because he was controlling and told you, you couldn't be friends with them anymore? Either way you learned they weren't your real friends or if they were you learned never let someone control you like that.

• Overall, yes, I'm thankful. I learned very valuable life lessons that I wouldn't have otherwise.
    I learned that I have to respect myself, know a person for myself and not through what other people say of them and most importantly, don't try to change myself to try fitting into what my boyfriend wants to see in me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not thankful for them specifically, but thankful for what I have learned from these failures (my own and theirs).

2|0
    0|0
  • fuck no, wtf was I thinking back then to be romantically involved with such an idiot.

0|1
    0|0
    • I guess it's taught you not to waste time on guys that aren't worth it.

• One, hun, Only.
    The man I am Living with. He is an Ex, But we are Good Friends, Family and Team Members. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • yea... you can't regret the things that made you happy before

1|0
    0|0
  • That's an interesting way to see exes. In that regard, I'd have to say yes.

1|0
    0|0
  • I didn't need my exes to teach me how to love someone so no... not thankful at all. I'm not being thankful for time wasted.

1|1
    0|0
  • I have only have one and I’m thankful he showed me what a piece of shit guy he was so I’m better prepared to handle them in the future.

1|0
    0|0
  • I’m thankful that I can spot an ass hole like him easier and earlier when I see a person resembling him

0|0
    0|0
  • Grateful for the babies I had with that person otherwise that's it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes they thought me not to let just anyone into my life that to really get to know the person before bringing them around my fame. yand friends

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know. I guess I mean it's whatever at this point 😜

1|0
    0|0
  • I do known not accept woman who talk down to me and treat me like crap.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wish I were that kindhearted. I'm only thankful to one or two of them who didn't break my heart.

0|0
    0|0
  • I cannot believe i just broke up w my ex before this year ends 🤦🏻‍♀️oh well thank u Next

1|0
    0|0
  • The good yes the bad no... I’m thankful I moved on though

0|0
    0|0
  • Heck no. All they did was eat my ass, ruin my life and give me trust issues. 😤

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont have any exes

1|0
    0|0
  • In a small way, yes I am thankful.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

Each one was a learning experience.

1|0
    0|0