Is it wrong to want someone who matches my income?

• Yes
  • No
  • Other, explain
    Vote C

829

Most Helpful Guys

• You have the right to want whatever it is you want, but I think sometimes people can be too restrictive and rule out potentially good partners because of something they want that in the end isn't really all that important.

I encourage you to think about why you want someone that matches your income. Does the money really matter that much or is it really that you want someone who's responsible and that works hard and you think income shows that? (Personally I don't think it does. Some jobs just pay more than others and someone that's a harder worker might earn less just because of the job they've chosen.)

Also, how hard do you think it will be to find someone that matches your income? If you have a very high income there's not going to be a lot of people to choose from. Maybe someone with a lower income that's still a hard worker and financially responsible could still meet your needs?

I think it's good to think through that and be sure you really understand exactly what it is you're looking for, but everyone has a right to set the standards they want in a partner. Of course, in reality, most people don't ever find someone that meets all their criteria and have to decide which things are really important and which are not so important.

• To each their own but I will say that depending on the income pool you are looking at it might be hard to find a compatible match within your expectations. Is there a reason you are wanting them to make as much as you?
    Also what if they make more that you? is that going to be an issue with you?
    What if they are the perfect person for you but make less than you, are your expectations going to bench them?

When i was younger i had expectations of what I was looking for. after i realized i was limiting my selection too much i re-evaluated my expectations and got rid of 90% of them.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's not wrong, really, but think about if you met a guy who made huge money and he said that to you. You'd think he was a bit money obsessed and maybe not very generous.