Is it wrong to want someone who matches my income?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Other, explain
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• You have the right to want whatever it is you want, but I think sometimes people can be too restrictive and rule out potentially good partners because of something they want that in the end isn't really all that important.

I encourage you to think about why you want someone that matches your income. Does the money really matter that much or is it really that you want someone who's responsible and that works hard and you think income shows that? (Personally I don't think it does. Some jobs just pay more than others and someone that's a harder worker might earn less just because of the job they've chosen.)

Also, how hard do you think it will be to find someone that matches your income? If you have a very high income there's not going to be a lot of people to choose from. Maybe someone with a lower income that's still a hard worker and financially responsible could still meet your needs?

I think it's good to think through that and be sure you really understand exactly what it is you're looking for, but everyone has a right to set the standards they want in a partner. Of course, in reality, most people don't ever find someone that meets all their criteria and have to decide which things are really important and which are not so important.

0|1
    0|0
  • To each their own but I will say that depending on the income pool you are looking at it might be hard to find a compatible match within your expectations. Is there a reason you are wanting them to make as much as you?
    Also what if they make more that you? is that going to be an issue with you?
    What if they are the perfect person for you but make less than you, are your expectations going to bench them?

When i was younger i had expectations of what I was looking for. after i realized i was limiting my selection too much i re-evaluated my expectations and got rid of 90% of them.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's not wrong, really, but think about if you met a guy who made huge money and he said that to you. You'd think he was a bit money obsessed and maybe not very generous.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• Depends on the overall situation. If he is still a student and you already have a full-time job, his income won't match yours, but it might in a couple of years.

0|0
    1|0
  • I voted C, but I hope you understand that even though money is important for lifestyle and needs, at the end of the day money is also very superficial.

In saying that I believe people should not worry if a potential mate earns a certain amount of money; to me that is simply immature and ridiclious.

0|1
    0|0
  • A man should make money but the more you make the more men you exclude. The funny thing is if you ever were really successful you would have nobody to date except for effeminate rich men and old rich men. Hot confident rich guys have no such income rules and we can date anyone... so typically its the hottest girl possible. Lol

0|0
    0|0
  • No, but you also can't complain if you guy doesn't want you for not matching his income. We're all allowed to date however we please, but there is a certain hypocrisy for women who always expect men to trade down in income while they refuse to do so themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol...

Wait till the economy collapses, and then see which type of man you really need.

Money ain't shit. Good to have as things stand, but won't buy you a solid relationship...

0|0
    0|0
  • its just as it is, by the way most (not all) woman tend to favor that mindset. the male counterpart of this one would be "is it wrong to only want a skinny young girl" (since men doesn't give a shit about someones earnings)

0|0
    0|0
  • No. But life has ups and downs. You could lose your job or get a better job & the same can happen to him. You will not both magically stay in sync.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think it's wrong. At lest that way no one can be jealous of the other making more or the one, Usally the male feel inadequate for not being able to contribute just as much or more then the other.

0|0
    0|0
  • Somewhere along the line, a woman will have to date an unemployed man or be alone. I hope that unemployed man is me.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. But I don't want to hear anymore complaints about the wage gap.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would hope you want someone who exceeds your income.

1|0
    1|0
  • Yes and no. The income might not match your now but in a couple of years he might be making way more than you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not wrong, just dumb. Go for one that makes a LOT more. ;)

0|0
    1|0
  • I would say no but if that's your number one criterion I might think it's a little shallow.

0|1
    0|0
  • if your income is enough to possibly susutain both of you, then why?

0|0
    0|0
  • No preconditions for a partner are wrong as long as the partner is not coerced.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Absolutely not. If you want to have your own budget, it's the best to do

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so. It's understandable that you don't want to support your SO.

0|0
    0|0
  • You earn £500 a week l earn£1000 a week we put it together then share it £750 a week each lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on why you want that

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not...

0|0
    0|0
  • It limits your options

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • not wrong at all. its your right

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all. How much is the Piggly Wiggly paying these days?

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing is wrong. You are free to have what ever requirements you wish. However, as long as a person isn't in debt, and can support themselves, I dont care about their income. Surely who they are is more important...

0|0
    1|0
  • So this is an interesting question. I own several companies and do very well for myself. I think however you can price out someone who you wouldn't see. I drive a compact yet could quite easily have a BMW or Audi, maybe even Aston Martin. I don't drive these because people only see the money and not who I am. So by your logic you could very well earn less than me but we might really suit each other, the same as the opposite. Id say don't bring money into it until much later on it the relationship, I follow a split the bill unless I have invited the person and we have a second date already in the works.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• If you're choosing your SO according to their bank account...

1|1
    0|0
  • Not necessarily, it'll just be difficult for you to find someone.

0|1
    0|0
  • no..

0|1
    1|0
  • It's normal, everyone is like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • No but then he might not have time for you.

0|0
    0|0
  • But if that is your main criteria, you might be disappointed.

0|0
    0|0
  • Would be okay if he make more than you?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes