Would you be okay with being single for the rest of your life?

I made the decision to never date or have romantic/intimate relationships and I’m happy with my decision. I’ve seen people who say they hate being single or are tired of it. Would you be okay with being single for the rest of your life? If not, why?

75154

Most Helpful Guys

• No way. I don't like being single and there are lots of great women out there, so I don't see the need to be.

• Whats with all the downvotes?

• @Volvagia People tend to react quickly on the internet rather than think.

• @Wammu now that I can agree with

• I honestly think it is ideal for me. I have dated a bit but honestly it is just a stupid waste of time. Most women just aren't worth it. Then effort that I need to put into the relationship and what I actually get out of it and makes me enjoy it just doesn't line up. I mean I have to deal with all her problems, which in modern society very well likely means she could suffer from a mental illness. I have to deal with her past, which in society now means she most likely slept around. I am expecting to spend a nice bit of my extra income on her in the form of dates, food and gifts for her; to which a lot of girls take advantage of guys for and not just expect it but demand it. From there I have to deal with all the romantic and intimate issues. I am expected to plan dates, gives hugs and cuddles. Something I don't always mind but it is constant and I don't like it all the time. As for intimacy I am expected to be open and talk about my feelings and stuff when I know damn well that she will not keep this person stuff a secret from her friends and will actually try to use anything that I say against me at a later date. So it's best to try and not share to much to begin with. Then there is getting nagged to do things that I don't want to do be it chores or going to weddings or family dinners. Then there is the loyalty and respect. It's only a 50/50 chance that she will stay loyal to you and not cheat and you will actually last as a couple. But then it is even more likely that she will be disrespectful to me at some point in an uncalled for manner.

And after doing and putting up with a lot of that what do I get out of it. A bit of sex every now and again? I don't have to be alone and maybe create a child or two? Yeah fuck that. The cost heavily out weights the benefits for me and a lot of modern men. Between the girls who are just giving sex away and porn there is enough to keep me getting off. And I honestly rather spend my time alone doing what I want when I want then being commit to someone and having to deal with all their bullshit. I'm honestly more confused by the people that desperately need a relationship, I don't get it besides being so weak and not sure of who they are that they need someone else to feel better.

• Bro, you nailed it! If only more people realize that relationships aren't always as great as they expect or believed them to be. Too many deluded people that continuously lie to themselves. Sometimes one has to really think and analyze things so they can realize and see clearly that the grass is greener on the other side after all.

Most Helpful Girls

• All these people saying they wouldn’t care and they don’t think it matters obviously haven’t seen these completely hopeless old people that have to be put in nursing homes and are COMPLETELY alone for over 10 years cause the rest of their family died and chose not to have any kids or adopt if they couldn’t physically have kids. I’ve worked in a nursing home and a hospital to get a credit in collage and there are SUPER hopeless older people in their 60’s and 70’s and older that have absolutely nothing because they chose not to have kids and make that investment. Nobody came to visit them, nobody was going to accept them in their home without getting payed. You could just SEE the loneliness in those older people that chose not to have any kids cause it would “ruin the fun” or “couldn’t do whatever you wanted”. Listen to me when I say you DO NOT want to be one of those old people in that nursing home alone for over 30 YEARS with no family left, you DO NOT want to be that. No matter how much you think it’s worth it not having kids, it is.

• I don't think humans are made to be single their entire lives. Humans are mammals and like most of them, they need to be among their peers.

As for me, I think this would be possible, albeit with a large number of sacrifices.

You also must differentiate between single and alone. Single in this context means (as I understand it) without a partner to share the beauties in life, the things that bond 2 people and makes a life fulfilled.

When placed in a situation that is out of the ordinary, people are very resilient. You learn to adapt to your new environment. It is far from being an easy task but it is feasible.

As I stated, I could probably do it with a lot of willpower but I would not do it because, when you need somebody most, you find yourself not finding anybody to support you in the most important stage of your life.

The final years you have left to live.

You could have had a partner to share the long path with you and then you realize that you will die alone, with only your sorrow and sadness that you made this decision to be single and in this case lonely and alone with your fate...

• I doubt you're 18. You spoke with a lot of wisdom

• @Bash_Sani I don't intend to. I am just stating that it is possible to be single but it comes at a very high price that I am not willing to pay. This price is so high that no money in the world can buy the love you missed when you had the chance to get it for free and when you need it most, you realize you made the biggest mistake in your life

• Pure fact.