Is it a turnoff if a girl hasn’t been with a lot of guys?

So I have been talking to this guy for a little while now. We were on the phone the other night and somehow we got into talking about exes (not a great topic to discuss, I know, but it just came up). Anyways, he kind of hinted at asking me about my dating history and I told him I’ve only been with one guy in my 24 years, and it was a guy I dated for 5 years. He’s normally super chatty but he got quiet for a good minute or two when I said this and said he “had to process it”. I probably shouldn’t have let it get to me but I was wondering if I maybe I put my foot in my mouth and said something bad? I wanted to be honest with him but now I’m thinking I told him too much. Honest answers please! Thanks!

2980

Most Helpful Guys

• I can't imagine why that would be a problem for most guys since it indicates stability and commitment.

Out of the gfs I had before I was 24, as far as I know, only one had had more than one other boyfriend, so I would have seen that sort of stability as a plus.

• Although I have a psychological attraction to women who've had SEX with many men, when it comes to how many guys they've been in a relationship with, I really don't care if it's ever been 1, 10, or none.

Having few relationships or never had one in her life does not disqualify a woman for me. I'm surprised there are guys who care because it's usually women who tend to ignorantly judge a guy's worth and level of experience based on whether he's ever been in a relationship or not.

Most Helpful Girls

• That is not a turnoff at all but rather a quality.

The fact that you only had one guy in your life is a sign that you are a person that is reliable and faithful. Those are qualities that I would be seeking if I were a guy and I would see you as a person that I would like to be with.

Numbers of guys/gals in life do not say anything about someone's character, likes or personality. You can have a lot of experience in many fields with one single partner.

His reaction was probably that at your age, you SHOULD have had more according to his own experience. That in turn, does tell me much about a guy that expects a girl to have had multiple BF's in her adult life.

That reaction tells me that he is likely to have been going left and right to gain experience and that his character is perhaps not as reliable as many other people and certainly not as reliable as yours.

So, see it as a compliment for your qualities and not as an indicator. that something is wrong with you.

• I would think that not sleeping around with a lot of people would be a good thing nowadays! Less sexual partners means you only sleep with people you really care about, you're committed, and less chance of catching STDs.

I guess it depends on your partner- some people prefer an experienced partner over one with less experience... that would be my only guess as to why he might be upset? A stupid reason regardless to have to "process" it.
    Anyway, you didn't tell him too much; you did the right thing in being open with him. Trust me, there are plenty of men that are happy to be with women that aren't promiscuous