Would you date a cigarette smoker even if the person was attractive?

Ok so I might have been mean about it but we were on a date and I can say he’s super attractive But I didn’t know he smoked cigarettes so literally after he smoked he tried to lean in and kiss me and I pulled away because ughh I can’t it’s gross and I don’t want to taste that. Since then we’ve talked as friends but I’m not interested due to his habit it’s a turn off to me.
Updates:
Wasn’t really expecting this question to blow up and I haven’t read everything yet but thanks guys

1|2

Most Helpful Guys

• I hear you on that a girl im friends with likes me and i hung out with her well she was trying to act cute but she was smoking and kept blowing it right in my face needless to say it had the complete opposite effect

1|0
    0|0
    • Gross I don't know why girls think that’s cute but whatever floats your boat

• Yeah it bugged me so much

• It is nasty, very nasty. I made the mistake once of kissing someone right after a smoke and I was completely turned off immediately. It was like licking an ashtray! However, while I strongly prefer not to date a smoker, I think I would if I liked them enough. Not necessarily a "deal breaker". But we'd have to work some things out for sure, first, we'd never kiss right after a smoke, ever!! lol But I also wouldn't want it in my house either if we lived together, so? It would depend on a lot of things and if we could compromise on them or not?

1|1
    0|1
    • Yea I wasn’t kissing him lol and well that’s good! I think it makes my dealbreaker list I also have asthma so I already can barely breathe lol

• I'm allergic to it, so it's very close to a deal breaker for me also. But like I say, if they were willing to compromise, depending how much we liked each other, maybe?

Most Helpful Girls

• I would not, even if he was the cutest, sexiest man alive. The same applies for a woman by the way.

If there is something I don't like, it is the smell of smoke on someone's clothes and breath. It seems that this smell is so strong that it impregnates everything, including the skin.

I try to live healthy and I just cannot see myself sharing my life with a smoker or someone doing drugs, even the "harmless" ones. Furthermore, even if a smoker quits smoking for me, which I would appreciate, the bill most like will come when I need my partner most.

Towards the evening of our common life, when lung cancer is diagnosed, this person I shared everything may have to leave me much quicker than I ever want to and then I pay the price for him/her leaving me when I need the person's support the most.

2|0
    0|1
    • Love your opinion! I agree

• Although I'm not a smoker myself, I feel it's too trivial a matter on which to decide whether someone is right for me. I also have bad habits.
    Everybody does. I don't think it says anything about the person's character. So if i'm attracted to them, then i don't see why it should stop me.

The important question is how that person feels about their smoking. Whether they acknowledge that it's not good for them and intend to make an effort to quit at some point. That attitude indicates character.

If they smell like smoke, you set boundaries. If they don't respect those boundaries, then it's a character thing again.

In my opinion, being dismissive without fine-tuning the reasons, feels a little stubborn and like the person is full of preconceptions about what's good and bad for them in a relationship (which seems a bit silly).

0|2
    0|0
    • I think it comes down to a deal breaker I respect your opinion though but I value my health and I just don’t like cigarettes or the smell it’s super simple

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 92

• No, it's a complete dealbreaker.

10|10
    0|1
    • In my state, the whole smoking in a public establishment thing was put to a referendum vote.
      The smokers said that if the new law was enacted, all bars and restaurants would go out of business. Well... the new law WAS enacted. I'm not going to finish the story, because I already know you're a smart guy. :)

• Show All
    • @ChetAtkins: No kidding. I used to avoid restaurants as much as possible because of the smoking.

• I live in Washington state. The vote was a referendum vote. That meant that that the average "Joe" like you and I actually had a say in the matter, instead of the brain-dead politicians. The smokers lost big-time. And they cried like a bunch of whining bitches. They felt like their God given rights were taken away from them. Really? What a bunch of selfish assholes. LMAO

• I'd be the exact same way. Total dealbreaker. I literally cannot date someone who is a smoker. CANNOT. DO. IT. She could literally be the most beautiful woman in the world, but as soon as she pulled out cigarette I'd be like, "M'kay, b'bye now..." Can't do it. Cigarettes are grotesquely disgusting. I couldn't date someone who chose to do that to their body everyday and it would be like kissing the bottom of a bowling alley ashtray. No thanks! 🤢

1|0
    0|0
  • I would not date a smoker. My uncle was married to a smoker. She always had to go to the bathroom and smoke a cigarette when I was at her house. Then I would want to know where my aunt was at. It was always awkward. My grandfather used to smoke. His house always smelled like cigarette smoke. That stinks if you are not a smoker. Cigarettes are expensive. They can cause cancer. Anyone who smokes ages prematurely. My grandfather looked 80 when he was 60. He had smoked since he was a teenager.

1|0
    0|1
  • Well, my father smokes and got sick because of it, my grandfather used to smoke and got sick because of it, my other grandfather used to do and died because of it. So I'm not risking to be with a girl that might just die because of something like that

1|2
    0|0
  • Tell him that if he doesn't quit smoking, you won't smoke his dick.

2|1
    0|0
    • Lolll what a nice tactic

• Nope, i have always been massively turned off by smoking.
    There was this really pretty girl in class, she even did some modeling work and she had a sweet personality. The kind of girl anyone in class would desire. Then i spot her outside smoking her cigarette and the attraction was gone.

0|1
    0|0
  • It all depends on the person. If you yourself are a smoker then you should not have any problem dating a smoker. But if you are a non smoker then it's completely up to you. If you can tolerate the smell then you should date and if you can't stand the smell then you shouldn't. In this case looks wouldn't come into question.
    by the way I wouldn't date a smoker. It is a deal breaker for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • no I wouldn't, unless I felt she was trying to quit and was on that path with the patch or gum or something. But, I find it a turn off and not messing with my health, nor do I want to breath it in from their clothes and such

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep, I prefer women who smoke. Id like to personally give a great big "fuck you" to all of you who support the anti smoking industry and special interest groups.

0|1
    1|0
    • Wow wow wow I just don’t like cigarettes and have Asthma sorry I value my already messed up lungs

• And im fine with people being able to open a business and decide if the establishment is smoking or non. My problem is with those who want to force every business to be non smoking. ESPECIALLY bars.

• Nope. I'm friends with some smokers but yea. Dating? That's a no-go. Also to all the smokers out there, let a person with asthma tell ya: not being able to breathe is NOT fun...

0|1
    0|0
  • I hate smoking, seeing it as a pointless, useless, and wasteful activity, but I also have rather low standards about some things, and sex is one of them. If a girl is attractive and willing, smoking is not a complete dealbreaker.

1|0
    0|1
  • The taste of kissing a girl who smoked wasn't too bad but it is just the habit in itself and getting second hand smoke that bothers me and a friend of mine is an idiot and will drop whatever he is doing to go have a smoke it doesn't matter what it is he has to go out for a smoke every 5 mins I don't like smokers at all now and hate how public places have a smoking section and the smoke always carries over to the non smoking section

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe so. Cigarette smoke is not only distracting and disgusting, but it's very, very unhealthy. Unless she's trying to quit, I don't think I would waste any time with her.

1|1
    0|0
  • thats a hard one cuz i used to smoke gave it up for a vape

1|0
    0|0
    • Well what do you pick

• Show All
    • Lol my ex quit smoking before me and used a vape I was fine with that... a lot of bashful comments lol

• yea some people can be very mean to others just cuz of there views on subjects

• Tbh I could see a girl and think she's attractive but then if I see her smoke then she instantly becomes less attractive 😂 it's a deal breaker for me especially because I've been around it my whole life

I wouldn't like maybe if I dated her and she took up smoking during the relationship then I'd stick around if I loved her but also talk to her to see if she'd be willing to stop etc but if I see she smokes before I date her then it's an instant no

0|0
    0|0
  • You're fine... it can be a total deal breaker. I wouldn't mind a girl who has an occasional smoke (usually when there's alcohol involved), but a regular thing would be a walk away.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, gross habit. You've found a hard boundary of yours!

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes. Not trying to knock you, but that's pretty finicky in my opinion.

0|1
    0|1
    • Well I don’t like it I mean I do have dealbreakers not many but I mean if I don’t smoke why would I want to date someone who does

• Good point, but if you like everything else from that guy I think you should make an exception. Who knows.. Perhaps you could help him quit.

• I guess your right well I feel bad now I definitely friend zoned him I’ll take it as a lesson

• Yea, but they can't smoke inside around me. And they can't smoke inside my home, even if I'm not there.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't. I also find it gross. If they stopped and wouldn't do it anymore and wouldn't smell bad then I would, but not if they are a smoker currently. It smells bad and I wouldn't want the taste either.

0|0
    0|1
  • No! Attractions will fade and you'll be left with an awful weezy partner with increasing respiratory problems!!

1|1
    0|0
  • Big turn off.
    No guys like girls smoking tbh, unless the guy himself is a smoker.

1|0
    0|0
  • Complete dealbreaker. It indicates that the person is prone to addiction and therefore has a weak mind that is easily swayed by temptation. It's also just plain unsanitary to kiss someone who smokes.

0|1
    0|1
    • Kissing someone isn’t ever sanitary though xD
      It’s just gross that’s all

• Yes I have. It is ok if she doesn't smoke too much. My ex smoked but not a lot.

0|0
    0|0
  • it's a dealbreaker, i hate the scent of cigarette smoke, i don't care if she smokes a joint every now and then like i do, but constant cigarette smoking is big turn off to me.

0|0
    0|1
  • No. As a former smoker, kissing a smoker is disgusting.

0|0
    0|0
  • Early date? Yes. Would it become serious? Not unless she was willing to quit.

I have asthma and allergies. Smoking starts it off for me (Among many things). So just like anything I’m severely allergic or something that sets off my asthma (which they set each other off - I get allergies and it often sets off the asthma); I can’t sacrifice my long term health by putting myself into a situation where I’m repeatedly around that stuff.

That is one of those rare “ultimatum” dealbreaker things that will keep any woman and I out of a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I would but I’m not buying her cigarettes or kissing her until after she brushes her teeth if she smokes one

0|0
    0|0
  • I hate the smell of cigarettes and the taste of kissing someone after they smoke is vile

But if they have a nice personality and don't smoke too often then I'll think about it at least

1|0
    0|0
  • I would never even so little as consider dating a cigarette smoker.
    Yet ironically I wouldn't mind if a date smoked weed, in moderation of course.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 67

• I'd prefer not to date a smoker, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, regardless of looks if I like the guy I would date him, smoker or not.
    Plus it would be kinda of hypocritical of me not to considering I used to smoke myself and still occasionally do if I've had one too many Shandy's

2|0
    1|1
    • First what’s a Shandy? Also that’s good for you though that’s my dealbreaker from the start if I knew I would have declined the date I really don’t like the smell. But I can see how it could be hypocritical from your viewpoint

• Show All
    • And Shandy is larger, ale or beer mixed with lemonade so it's suitable for under 18's to drink

• Hmmm never heard of that interesting lol...

• No, like Forrest Gump said. "She tasted like cigarettes!" It's gross, I pride myself on a healthier lifestyle and this is just not a part of that. It smells, they taste different, they breathe funny, it gives me a headache. Yuck! I rather not thank you. There's so many other people for me to find attractive. That is a massive turn off. I'm rambling now. Sorry

0|2
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. It’s a automatic deal breaker. No matter how attractive they are, if I see a cigarette it’s an automatic turn off.

1|1
    0|0
  • It was a dealbreaker for me yet I found my soul mate who is a smoker! It was they only issue when we met so I give it a go.

Brushing teeth and eating gums and using refreshers worked.
    Now smoking in the balcony or open areas and not around me or in the bedroom.

0|1
    0|0
  • no, i am allergic, gives me headache.

i went on a second date with a guy, his car smelled like it and that was the end of that.

1|1
    0|0
    • you stated that you are not interested. its a deal breaker for many. not sure where that will go...

• I’m okay with dating someone who drinks alcohol, but not periodically through the day every day. But a glass a few times a week is fine. So I wouldn’t date someone who smokes cigarettes. They need them to get through the day. It’s an addiction. But if you smoke a cigar or a pipe at family gatherings or when getting together with your friends I think that’s fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Sorry but that's a turn off to me. There's no shame in dating a guy who smokes but I personally would not date a guy who displays behavior which I am not ok with.

1|0
    0|0
  • You can always try and talk to them, if they truly love you they would stop for you. My grandma stopped smoking so my grandpa would date him. But if you are both smokers it's okay and perhaps stopping togheter can be easier, I understand your case, just talk to him! X

0|0
    0|0
    • We don’t love each other this was our first date but he has no plans on quitting I don’t blame him it’s just not for me many would be fine with it

• Well, if he wants to persue farther, and have more dates, you should tell, otherwise just take distance

• No , it's a deal-breaker for me.

People who smoke don't realize how awful they smell of stale smoke. Their breath, hair , skin and clothes reek just as bad as someone with really poor hygiene.

0|1
    0|0
  • My husband used to smoke and although he doesn’t smoke now he has done on and off over the 40 years we’ve been married. It’s funny isn’t it, when we met in the 70’s, I was the unusual person for not smoking!

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes because there just cigarettes like it’s no harm to you just tell them not to blow it in your face smokes are nothing bad to me honest.
    I’m this world most people smoke

0|0
    0|1
    • There's no harm? Except you know... The lung cancer, throaat cancer, etc, etc...
      Not only to you but also to the people around you. Also the average smoker uses the equicalent of a luxury car to buy cigarrets. Over 50 years.

• Show All
    • Yeh I did I meant as in it’s no harm done to the relationship

• Well smoking isn't. Humanity is.

• I hate cigarettes and smoke.. my boyfriend smokes and I hate it. I tell him to quit. It's so disgusting. If he smoke I have a rule of his brushing teeth before kiss

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Absolutely not. I have asthma and I'm allergic to the smell. So dating someone who smokes is pretty much an impossibility for me. I understand that it's an addiction, but I can't be around it.

Also, smoking kills. I don't think I could be with someone who smoked, because every time I smelled them, I would just be reminded of how the cigarettes shorten their lifespan.

Secondhand smoke is also a thing that, even if my own breathing problems weren't an issue, I'm not particularly interested in being exposed to.

0|2
    0|0
  • No I wouldn't have, it would be a complete deal breaker.

0|1
    0|0
  • I find sexy guys who smoke, vape or smoke the hookah. It doesn’t really disturbing me eve though I personally don’t smoke; but that doesn’t mean that a guy should start smoking because of me

1|0
    0|1
  • No amount of physical attraction will ever change how repulsed I am by smoking and tobacco/nicotine use. All health concerns aside, smoking just makes people's bodies stink of toxins. No thank you.

Plus it is the most pointless practice. It's incredibly toxic, makes a person reek, and doesn't even get them high. And it's incredibly addictive.

I used to smoke too, until I had a moment of clarity about how utterly disgusting this habit is, and I quit three packs a day cold turkey. Many years ago.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. I can’t fall in love with a person that’s gonna die sooner than me. At least that’s my opinion.

0|0
    0|1
  • I would, not a big deal to me, but it would be a bonus if he didn't.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m sorry I couldn’t do it.. especially with my sensitive system...

1|1
    0|0
  • I know many people who smoke but are great personalities. I don't want to judge someone just because he has done some bad decisions before and started to smoke. But yeah, it's really gross and I can't stand it.
    My best friend started to smoke and it really makes me sad. I cried when they told me (such a drama lol) and I hate when he smokes infront of me but it still doesn't change the fact that he's hella great guy.
    So yeah... I would date them but only if I knew that they are going to quit as soon as possible.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, cigarettes, cigars, weed, anything. Deal breaker

1|0
    0|1
  • Absolutely not. Cigarettes stink and make a person VERY unattractive!!! Periodt!

1|0
    0|1
  • No. I stand against it. Smoking cigarettes makes an attractive man more ugly. My dad got cancer from smoking.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, never, not ever. I hate the smell and the taste.

1|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't. I have before, but it was gross and I won't again

0|1
    0|0
  • Only if he made sure not to smoke in my presence and always afterwards chewed a gum or smth so I would never have to taste it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't like it. I would really have to like him to accept that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do it. I don't like smoking so I ask them not to smoke when I'm around or before they meet me. 😅

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd really prefer not to date a smoker but if we got along well, I'd try not to let it bother me.(I'm also a former smoker myself)

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes