Ever had a first date with someone who you never saw or talked to before the date?

Not your usual bag lady!
Not your usual bag lady!
"Back in the day" (when I was a young man, shortly after the Spanish-American War,) there was no internet, no cell phones, no texting, no FB, IG, SC, Twitter, G@G, TInder, POF, match. com, or anything else. Somehow we survived!

Anyway. . . sometimes, a friend's girlfriend would say, "I have a friend who would be PERFECT for you!" When I asked, "What does she look like?" they would respond, "She has a great personality," and that let me know to not expect a beauty queen. Sometimes, the friend's girlfriend would set up a date, sometimes it would be a double date with the friend and his girlfriend, and I would just show up and meet the lucky contestant. Sometimes, I would call the girl to arrange the date but I never met her, or saw her, in advance of the date. These were called "blind dates;" perhaps that term is still used.

Usually, there were no great surprises, because I entered such dates with virtually no expectations, though I did have one date with a girl - Candace -from Agnes Scott College who was charming and beautiful! None of the blind dates resulted in a long term relationship, but it did develop some dating skills that later became useful (I started college when I was 16 - not common in my day - and was trying to date girls who were at least 3 years older than me. Yes, that was harder than Chinese arithmetic!)

Have you ever had a blind date? How did it work out for you? Did he or she "have a wonderful personality?"
  • I've never had a date
  • I have only dated people who I previously met or at least talked to before the date and I always at least saw a picture of the person
  • I have had one date with someone that was a "set up;" we didn't meet, talk, or even exchange pictures before the first date
    Vote C
  • I have had more than one date with someone that was a "set up;" we didn't meet, talk, or even exchange pictures before the first date
    Vote D

724

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes and no.. I met this guy at a party. I was working there as a waitress passing out drinks, we got talking after he asked me for another type of drink we didn't have. Myself and fellow waitresses were only paid to be there until a certain time and when it was time for me to clock off he asked me to stay, I wasn't sure since I wasn't invited to the party as a guest but it turns out it was his brothers party so I did. We sat talking, had a few drinks together then we went for a walk and to a shitty takeout place and joked that it was our first date. 8 months later we got married 😊

Most Helpful Guy

• In a way, yes. What I mean is, she looked absolutely nothing like their photos. Not to mention being 22 years older than she claimed to be - because as she put it, "everybody lies about their age." Not everybody. Granted, for whatever reason my age is incorrectly displayed here... at least it only makes me a year older than I actually am.