Ever had a first date with someone who you never saw or talked to before the date?

Not your usual bag lady!
Not your usual bag lady!
"Back in the day" (when I was a young man, shortly after the Spanish-American War,) there was no internet, no cell phones, no texting, no FB, IG, SC, Twitter, G@G, TInder, POF, match. com, or anything else. Somehow we survived!

Anyway. . . sometimes, a friend's girlfriend would say, "I have a friend who would be PERFECT for you!" When I asked, "What does she look like?" they would respond, "She has a great personality," and that let me know to not expect a beauty queen. Sometimes, the friend's girlfriend would set up a date, sometimes it would be a double date with the friend and his girlfriend, and I would just show up and meet the lucky contestant. Sometimes, I would call the girl to arrange the date but I never met her, or saw her, in advance of the date. These were called "blind dates;" perhaps that term is still used.

Usually, there were no great surprises, because I entered such dates with virtually no expectations, though I did have one date with a girl - Candace -from Agnes Scott College who was charming and beautiful! None of the blind dates resulted in a long term relationship, but it did develop some dating skills that later became useful (I started college when I was 16 - not common in my day - and was trying to date girls who were at least 3 years older than me. Yes, that was harder than Chinese arithmetic!)

Have you ever had a blind date? How did it work out for you? Did he or she "have a wonderful personality?"
  • I've never had a date
    Vote A
  • I have only dated people who I previously met or at least talked to before the date and I always at least saw a picture of the person
    Vote B
  • I have had one date with someone that was a "set up;" we didn't meet, talk, or even exchange pictures before the first date
    Vote C
  • I have had more than one date with someone that was a "set up;" we didn't meet, talk, or even exchange pictures before the first date
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes and no.. I met this guy at a party. I was working there as a waitress passing out drinks, we got talking after he asked me for another type of drink we didn't have. Myself and fellow waitresses were only paid to be there until a certain time and when it was time for me to clock off he asked me to stay, I wasn't sure since I wasn't invited to the party as a guest but it turns out it was his brothers party so I did. We sat talking, had a few drinks together then we went for a walk and to a shitty takeout place and joked that it was our first date. 8 months later we got married 😊

1|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• In a way, yes. What I mean is, she looked absolutely nothing like their photos. Not to mention being 22 years older than she claimed to be - because as she put it, "everybody lies about their age." Not everybody. Granted, for whatever reason my age is incorrectly displayed here... at least it only makes me a year older than I actually am.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I've never had one. I always preferred to do my own reconaissance, and my friends knew that.

1|1
    0|0
  • It was a botched dating service date, by VHS tape, back in the mesozoic era...1980's! We each had vhs tapes and would select people we'd want to date, I picked a gal... but wrote down the wrong one!!! she accepted. she was ok actually, but strong smoker which wasn't for me. made the best of it. It turned out ok, she was pleasant enough.

0|1
    0|0
  • My parents and some of their friends had kids (same age as me) tried to get an arranged date between me and this boy from my mom's friends kids. It was super awkward and the very first time I met this boy. He was awfully rude and kept trying to touch me. I called my dad shortly afterwards to pick me up.

0|3
    0|0
  • I've only had one truly blind date. She was a friend of a neighbor. Really cute also. Funny though, I don't remember actually meeting her, or where we went. I only remember later. We had been drinking. After we got back to the neighbor's house, we went for a bicycle ride at midnight to my old elementary school and swung on the swings. Then made out for a couple of hours by the school. Then rode home and made out some more.

I also had multiple friends who had a habit of setting me up, without it being a "real" date. They'd ask if I wanted to go somewhere. Then on the way, unbeknownst to me, they just happened to make a side trip to pick up someone else.

I even had a work date, if there is such a thing. Several friends worked at a large commercial hardware store. They needed temp help for year-end inventory. So I spent a few days back in the dark corners of the warehouse counting nuts, screws and washers with a really cute girl. We had no problem carrying on a conversation all day. It was actually pretty intimate.

All in all I had pretty good luck. They were all good looking and were all nice and pleasant to be around. Nothing even close to a blind date horror story.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well I met my ex boyfriend with whom I texted online and somehow I never saw his face before the date. Like I never even bothered to ask him for a picture and he never bothered to send me one. In fact, I couldn't even recognize him the first day, I was thinking 'who TF is that perverted staring at me' lmaooo. He actually left that day and was like 'I WAS STANDING THERE FOR OVER AN HOUR WHAT WERE YOU THINKING YOU SAW ME'

0|1
    0|0
    • That is an ironic way to begin a relationship. By the way, I notice one more beautiful profile picture!

• Lol it surely was hilarious! We met again seven days later and then I no more had problem with recognizing him.

And thanks! I am actually in a terrible condition though, recently... I have no idea what's with the severe hairfall and acne but I went to my doctor today and she gave me this huge list of tests to see if I have any hormonal problem!

• Good luck with that!

• When I was 17 I had 4 dates in 1 day at 20 I went out for drive with young woman, went to cinema in afternoon, took girl to disco then took her home and went back to disco and took another home and never used durex with none 4 one day. i have been to disco in 70s and had 4 women in 3 hour's in disco.

0|1
    0|0
    • Those were the days my friend
      We thought they'd never end
      We'd sing and dance forever and a day
      We'd live the life we choose
      We'd fight and never lose
      For we were young and sure to have our way

• Kind of, i've dated a couple of people i've met online. Never talked on the phone or exchanged many photos. I've never been set up or done blind dating/speed dating etc. Oddly those relationships were among my most successful (in my opinion even if they didn't work out long term).

0|1
    0|0
  • I've never been on a blind date but have been introduced to people under the same premise. I'd get the "I have a friend..." line but then instead of it going straight to a date they would bring them to a party or something and introduce us. Then if we got along well I would ask them on a date.

0|1
    0|0
  • Isn't that simply known as a blind date? And no, I haven't.

0|1
    0|0
    • End of second paragraph: "These were called "blind dates;" perhaps that term is still used."

• Ah, I clearly didn't read the whole thing 😅

• I've had adult one blind date in my life. Im not sure what my buddy was thinking lol, the girl was not at all my type physically, had an abrasive personality, and was opposite me in almost everything important to me.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've had so one like this, it was set up by my daughter of her friends mother. It was a great evening but it couldn't go anywhere , still friends but that as far as it went !!!

0|1
    0|0
  • I met a girl online and we met up after a few months after talking, it was nice!

0|1
    0|0
  • Actually no, but it would interesting to make a little leap in the dark, so to say.

0|1
    0|0
  • once in my life. it was a set up by my parents. Their neighbors (summer house) had their son visiting and both parents thought it would be good for us to meet so they hosted a cocktail party at their house to do so. It was incredibly awkward and although the guy was very nice and handsome (and shy), I think the setting just made it too weird for either of us to open up. I'd have really liked if he asked me out on a date somewhere where there were no parental eyes scrutinizing us but he didn't and the fact that he lived 3 hours away didn't help either. Other than that, in my single lfe, I'd always made a point of knowing something about him and seeing at least a pic, and trying to have conversation. Email, text or phone

0|1
    0|0
  • I've only been on dates with women I had met previously.

0|1
    0|0
  • I dated with the girlz that we met on internet but didn't go to date blindfold 🤞

1|1
    0|0
  • I've only had dates with men I already knew way before.

0|1
    0|0
  • I did video calling with my current boyfriend met on Facebook but we video called other each.

0|1
    0|0
  • A few. I had fun every time, but then I tend to have fun with most of what I do.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yup. Back in the day when blind dates really were blind dates. One of those blind dates turned into a 2 year realtionship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have been sett up before, but I have seen some pictures that's all. Then we meet, it was great

0|1
    0|0
  • Not talked to, but saw a picture of (even if wildly inaccurate) and emailed/texted.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I would find that highly uncomfortable.

0|1
    0|0
  • Never

1|1
    0|0
  • Does banging in a dorm room count as a date?

0|1
    0|0
  • I had two blind dates, yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • never

0|1
    0|0
  • I've never had a blind date but I would

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes