Why do people choose to stay single?

Updates:
will you be my valentine?
People “choose” to “stay” single?

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends. I will use myself as an example. I know I'm pretty much young, 17 years of age, and considering you are in the same age bracket I think you may relate or understand. If you are trying to settle for boys in the same age bracket as you, chances are very small you will find someone willing to settle at such a young age. We set very high expectations yet they are still too immature to even think of something long term (not all though), so with the cycle of constantly getting hurt, some decide to stay single to heal and possibly wait till what they believe is the right age to get serious. Others do because they can't find their ideal partner. Like my case, after a year of healing from a break up, I have tried up and down to find a decent guy, one that doesn't simply want sex, one that doesn't ask for nudes. A respectful guy. I even tried dating apps, I simply gave up because I've lost hope in me ever finding someone.

1|1
    1|0

Most Helpful Guys

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• some don't have a choice. nobody just wants them. some choose to be because they were cheated on, hurt, neglected in their past relationships so they'd rather be single than be hurt again.. or some don't want to have an obligation to another person and enjoy their freedom with nobody waiting on them or checking on them. some just want to pursue their career and don't have time for love..

2|4
    1|1
    • I dont choose to be single no women want me

• Show All
    • @SpearsAndStones ur only 25 u still have so much time

• @Sabrine32212 All the men who women are willing to date have already been in a relationship at this time. Sounds good to say, "You still have over half of your life left!" But not when you consider the fact that the patterns from my past reflect on my future.

I mean sure, I could go the route my mother's husband did: get married to some woman when you're in your late 40's so that she can use an extra bank account to refinish her dream-home, but that doesn't exactly fill me with hope lol.

• It's something I get asked a lot and most people seem to think I am lying- either purposefully or subconsciously. I enjoy being single, but would ultimately like to end up in a life partnership. The problem is, I have been single for about 4 years now (I date a fare amount, but nothing more than a few months) and now I just genuinely enjoy the freedom of singledom and am picky. I was talking with a friend, and he put it perfectly- the longer I am single, the more picky I become- which is backwards from how most people think. The longer I am single, the more I enjoy my freedoms and life style and the more women have to compete with- they're not even competing with other women- they're competing for how much genuine fun I have doing my own thing. I generally end things within a few months because I either a: don't see a future with that person or B: (not to sound like a dick) a time comes where I'd rather go do my own thing, but this girl is demanding my time and I'd rather not give up a weekend and be bored with her and go do my own fun thing.

1|0
    0|0
  • 1. Not comfortable with themselves yet.
    2. Family problems.
    3. Financial problems.
    4. Heard bad stories and don't want to experience the same thing.
    5. Already had a bad experience and don't want to take the risk again.
    6. Mental problems.
    7. Less stress and work.
    8. Freedom to make things perfect for themselves instead of compromise.
    9. Save a lot of money (if you're a man).
    10. Boost their career.
    And more...

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm single not by so much choice as it is circumstances... just dont seem to meet the right woman, or I get friendzoned a lot...
    though tbh I'm currently ok with it, I'm taking the time to focus on sorting things out in my life while I'm single, but if someone comes along in that time I won't turn them away, but I am just getting fed up of all teh fakes out there

2|0
    0|0
  • I've always technically been single and I recently decided to keep it that way as I still have many trust issues with men I need to deal with by myself and not put my baggage on anyone else it's not fair. I want to make sure I'm in a happy, positive, healthy state of mind before I get into a relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • This is the website I read about Doctor abaka and contacted him to help me get my ex boyfriend back to marry me during last year on the month of May and I have come back here to post about him. Doctor abaka will help you solve your problem no matter what you are going through. My name is Sharom from USA. Posting about a spell caster is very strange to me because I never believed i will be able to say that I was helped by a spell caster in bringing my ex boyfriend back to me after 3 years of no contact. I read about Doctor abaka from other websites and contacted him to help me and in less than 48 hours my ex boyfriend called me and I was happy that he wants to get back to me. We met on Friday and he proposed to me,... It was the most beautiful ring. Please everyone out here, Contact Doctor abaka to solve your problem for you and make you happy with your relationship that is hurting you. Love is the best feeling ever experienced. Email him at drabakapelltemple@gmail. com or directly on whats App him +2349063230051..

1|0
    0|1
  • Because it's fun..
    We don't have to worry about anything..
    Or worry about almost sending someone in misery if we die from our stupid mistakes..
    We don't have to be social..
    We can freely enjoy doing things we like.

2|1
    0|0
  • Well, there can be 1 or N number of reasons for a person choosing to stay single. It is tough to point out one reason.

I have always been single by choice and I wish to stay single for life. I have many reasons for this decision.

1|0
    0|0
  • Relationships take time, energy and effort and when with the wrong person they aren't even fun. You can have sex while single and you can have friends for emotional support, so I get why people wouldn't want the romance part.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because it is better to be alone than with the wrong person.

2|2
    0|0
  • It’s better to get to know yourself for awhile. For me I had to do it for awhile, to heal my heart from past relationships. for awhile I would jump from relationship to relationship never really healing from the previous one

1|1
    0|0
  • People who put a lot of the time and effort into it to have there early experiences still really bad and horrible, if thats being cheated on or lied to. I feel like people (me included) put their guard up massively because of it and don't think that it's even worth their time or don't want to be hurt again.

1|0
    0|0
  • Religious discipline like hermits and nuns.
    Traumatic past experiences.
    Or out of love for a deceased person.
    Or career driven people aka sociopaths and losers.

1|1
    2|2
  • SI choose to be single because I haven’t met a person who I can trust or love. I am very picky bc I am looking for marriage and I have been single my whole life.

1|2
    0|0
  • They don't know how to.
    They're still hurting from something in the past.
    They think it will be too much drama.
    They're worried about getting hurt.
    They're too busy.

1|1
    0|0
  • -Less drama
    -No heartache or being hurt
    -No worrying about being cheated on and/or lied to
    -I have my independence and freedom, not having to tell someone where I'm going or doing all the time
    -I spend my money on myself
    -I'm busy enough trying to balance work, exercise, and making time for my friends and family. That doesn't leave much time for dating
    -Some of us are genuinely happier when we're single than in a relationship or...
    -We haven't found a person worth our time or energy to date

2|1
    0|0
    • If you have nobody, you won't have somebody to lose, keep that in mind. :-D

• Because it is a war zone out there. You're either setting yourself up for something great or something terrible. Dating is scary. You never know WHO you're getting mixed up with and what type of drama they're bringing to the table. Just get ya money, work on yourself, and then, maybe down the line, give it a go. Lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Cause I don't like going out to meet people for one. Relationships are a lot of work that I don't think I'm ready for.

1|0
    0|0
  • Relationships are hard work. I know a guy that doesn’t want a relationship bc he has a well-paying job and wants all the money to himself, to each their own!

1|0
    0|0
  • Because WE COULD. Because not all of us believe, feel, think or see relationships in the same way. I find them to be entirely optional and unnecessary, simply because the do not guarantee any sort of "happiness" or "fulfillment" in any form or way either way. And one better know whom or what they're getting themselves into before doing so. Somebody better have clear goals and ideas what they even want from or out of a relationship, otherwise what's the point? Only gonna end up going from one relationship to the next and the next and the next and so on pointlessly, aimlessly, running in circles over and over like an animal chasing it's own tail.

3|1
    0|0
  • I’m young. Most high school relationships don’t last. It’d be pointless 🤷🏽‍♀️

1|1
    0|0
  • I am single and have always been. Not necessarily a choice. For those to do choose, it could be because of their busy lifestyle, children, pickiness, trauma etc. There’s a multitude of reasons.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because most people are garbage, and you have to wade through an ocean of humanity to find someone worth a large commitment of time and emotional energy.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd like to find the right person, but I'm not going to settle for someone I won't be happy with long term just to not be single. I'd rather be single than miserable with someone I don't like.

1|0
    0|0
  • Some people just want to have the ability to connect with other people without having to feel like they're "cheating". Some people like feeling "stuck".

1|0
    0|0
  • Well, *people* don't choose to stay single-- most *girls* who are single choose to stay single. Most average guys don't usually have a choice in the matter.

1|0
    0|0
  • I do because of a mix of trust issues, a mix of things I need to improved on, and just seeing relationships as a waste of time

2|0
    0|0
  • I never chose the single life; the single life chose me.

1|1
    0|0
  • Parents want us to be single
    Guys or girls may be afraid to get rejection
    And the main , what will people think
    For these reasons I m still single.

1|1
    0|0
  • This video is so relaxing!
    To answer your question its several things.

1) They could have had a bad divorce or break-up
    2) Sometime you don't go out and see many people on a daily basic so you end alone
    3) Maybe you aware that your too depressed or always tired or never okay with yourself and don't want invoved others
    4) Maybe you have bad experience with the opposite sex
    5) Maybe you have self-esteem and are aware that its doesn't get better if somoene love you
    6) Maybe you are asexual but romantic and everyone seem too sexual
    7) Maybe you never lost your virginity and don't want or see sex as a sin
    8) Maybe you love stay single because you can have random hook ups
    9) Maybe your single because you haven't found anyone attractive
    10) ?

2|1
    0|0
    • 10) Because one may realize that all those things in regards to "love", relationships, etc., are really nothing more than false delusions and illusions one want to hang onto to help them cope with this cold, harsh, cruel reality and world, to cope with their own emptiness. Lies people tell themselves only to feel better falsely misleading themselves to believe or think that by having a relationship or partner just so they won't "DIE ALONE".

• @JudgmentDay actually I think marriage or finding a along term is about having a child more than it is about love. But I am always open to the possibility. You can't be completely nihilistic about it all.

• Because being single is great and has many advantages. You are free, have less drama, you have more time for yourself, and more.

2|0
    0|0
  • Being particular about what I want in someone makes me wait.

1|1
    0|0
  • No obligations, no stress, more free time, more money. What's not to like?

1|0
    0|0
  • i didn't choose to be single girls my age are just cunts that can't have a serious functioning relationship without drama involved.

1|0
    2|0
  • I am not in the position to date, and also I do not trust easily. It is better that way for me, no one giving me shit, and no one to hurt me.

1|0
    0|0
  • people choose to stay single because being single is a lot easier

2|2
    0|0
  • I never chose the single life, the single life chose me.

1|2
    0|0
  • I never chose to be single being single always chose me 😂

1|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't hurt more than being cheated on or being lied to by someone. Much better than dealing with unnecessary dramas

1|0
    0|0
  • Cuz they are selfish and only really care about themselves , or they have a hard time trusting someone

1|0
    2|1
  • They could be afraid of getting heartbroken or they prefer the free single life.

1|1
    0|0
  • Freedom. I adore women, but when I have a girlfriend my time becomes
    far less my own.

2|0
    0|0
  • My schedule is pretty busy right now plus I haven’t met anyone worth dating at the moment.

1|1
    0|0
  • Some people are content with avoiding broken relationships

1|1
    0|0
  • No one chooses it. That is something people like to tell themselves to feel better.

1|1
    2|3
    • Maybe that's your case. There are many of single people who have plenty of options and still prefer to stay single. Not everyone is a sad soul who needs someone else to feel better.

• Show All
    • You're the one projecting on others, asshole.

• @pleasestopthis Where? I am not the one popping up an random answers to other people's questions and accuse people of being pathetic and emotionally needy. Sorry if my initial opinion was triggering for you but seeing how hard you took it certainly makes my point. I hope that you will be able to reconcile with your needs one day.

• Because we're ALL MGTOWWWWWW!!! AGGGHHH😠😠😠😠😠Ahh... shit, I'm just yanking your chain😂😂😂

1|0
    0|0
    • Honey, I can't be your Valentine, because I'm with my childhood love of 26 years ago. But c'mon now... with all these solo studs permeating this joint, SURELY 1 will take you up on it😏

• Generally they are socially inept. They just never learned how to connect with people.

1|0
    2|4
    • Are you single shaming on purpose?

• Show All
    • And you say it like every single one of them must be an inferior person.

• @Unit1 - YOU called it inferior. Some just choose to not deal with a mate. I get that.
      What's your real beef here? That you don't want to have a woman, a wife? That's fine, don't then. WE DON'T CARE.

• I just get tired of the rat race, that and trying to live up to someone's expectations. I want to have somebody to love and experience life with, but I know that everybody's got their own picture of what that's like and no one's fits in with mine. Another thing is when i'm in a relationship I change and become a kind of person I don't want to be. Finally I've noticed that I just seem to be different than everybody else I know, it's hard for me to describe but it's significant enough for me to just consider myself incompatible with everyone I've ever met. I mean every once in a great while I think I find someone who might be, but every single time it turns out to be just another case of the same old same old just hidden a little better.
    So that's why I've decided to fly solo, and just enjoy the little things in life that make me happy.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've my priorities sorted out and I'd be just wasting her time and nerves, as busy as I am.

1|0
    0|0
  • It ain't a choice, it's cause everyone only wants what they think is perfect and nothing more

1|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes