What do you get with marriage that you don't already get with a long term relationship?

Finally married!
Finally married!

3166

Most Helpful Guys

• I can see both sides of it. I look at it more from the standpoint of seeing enough real life examples to believe that you gain more in marriage than just a long term relationship. I think of 6 couples I knew from highschool/college. There are the obvious relationships that no one thought would last, they got married too young and got divorced. But it was also the relationships that were on the verge of breakup and thought that marriage would solve their problems. Obviously it didn't and they paid the price for that mistake.

Of the people who had solid relationships and didn't get married (3), only 1 couple is still together today and still talk about getting married.

Of the group that got married, barring the first couple that were on the verge of breakup and eventually divorced. The other 2 are still together today.

While, yes the 1 non married couple has a pretty good relationship. When I'm in the presence of the 2 couples that are married the relationship is just different. The air between them feels much more loving and deeper than the non married couple. The non married couple does have good chemistry, but there's this sense of them just not being as serious and I'm not someone who believes that everyone should get married or that longterm relationships don't work without marriage. They definitely do and I also believe that if you're together long enough without getting married, then you're actually better off not getting married, because statistically if you had a longterm enough relationship without marriage and you do get married. You have a higher percentage of getting divorced than people who got married earlier on.

Mostly because what made the relationship work was the sense that you could just leave at any time. There was no external pressure of having to make it work. So when you put a ring on it, now that sense of freedom is gone and it's a bit more pressure than you're able/willing to withstand and it affects the relationship negatively. Obviously the examples are all anecdotal and there are plenty of married people who are unhappy in their marriage so my examples are all anecdotal. But I point to those 3 relationships because all of them are happy relationships. So I consider them relatively fair examples, rather than just saying "married people are happier and non married couples are just playing house".

Most Helpful Girls

• You get unbreakability and social status. Breaking up a romantic relationship is a lot easier than breaking up a marriage so people who are serious about being with each other - in good times and bad - in poverty and in riches - in sickness and health - choose the marriage root. I actually don't socialize with unmarried couples - I think they are living in active sin against God by living together and sleeping with each other when they are not married. Its different if they are dating each other but I will not date two people who live together when they are not married.

• Well not to rude, but it would be sin for them only if they believe in a God.

• I don't really think it's a horrible thing, but more so they aren't serious enough about each other to make it forever.

• I personally don't believe you need marriage to prove that it's forever