Would you date someone that still lives with their parents?

I come from a culture where a person don’t leave their home they grew up in until marriage.
Living with Parents
Living with Parents

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes, considering I still live with mine. Besides, I don't see the big issue because really it's just a place to live. Why people make a thing out of it, I don't know.

1|2
    0|1
  • Yes. even at my age, it's hard for people to have their own place. So I don't count that against them.

1|3
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Well dating i can condone it, to give me enough chance to win them over. It depends mostly on how big the house is tho

0|0
    0|0
  • As far as a man's concerned. No, no, no! My close friend is now getting out of a marriage with somebody who lives with his parents, don't have anything, and even when he did he keeps hopping from job to job because he don't like it. And it's too comfortable with his parents and don't want to leave. It caused a lot of problems because of his selfishness. Do not do this lady's. If it's only at the beginning and they already walking towards Financial stability fine. But if they are too comfortable with their parents do not get yourself emotionally attached to them and definitely do not marry them. They better have a place of their own and it better be speaking to one have a place of Their Own. You should already be working towards Financial stability and Independence. Some people have no choice like me you did not have the option to be able to do a lot of things like that for myself financially. Due to the fact that I had a lot of family obligations and no finances for me to be in college and have a good paying job for me to be on my own. At the person is going to be living at home, they better not be lazy.

0|1
    0|0
  • If he's not dependant on his parents, then yes. There's a difference between being an adult with a job who lives with their parents and a kidult who lives with their parents so they don't have to work.

0|4
    0|0
  • If you're an adult who lives with them without contributing to the household somehow, then it's definite no.

Either go to work, go to school, or do all/most of the housework. In fact, some people stay with their parent (s) because they are the caretaker (e. g. with an elderly or ailing parent). Personally, I've been there, and I think in that case it is admirable.

Ultimately, it is culturally relative and most of the time, it's not necessarily good nor necessarily bad.

0|2
    1|0
  • Depends. I mean as long as he paying "his" bills and he "working" and not depending totally on his parents i can respect that. I have my own place but I had stayed with my sister and work two jobs to get to this point. So the struggle is real. But it really depends.

0|1
    0|0
  • well im am still young and the guys i date are the same age and we all depend on our parents or guardians, so for now yes. But when i get older like when i start working and become indepent, i dont think id want to be with someone who still lives with their parents because i think the parents would want to get in the relationship too

0|2
    0|0
  • It all depends on the person's situation. Like if a guy is 30 and lives with his parents and doesn't have a good job or anything than that's worrisome and not attractive. Some special conditions can apply, perhaps he wants to take care of his elderly parent or maybe he is pursuing higher education and trying to save money I don't know it all depends on the situation.

0|1
    0|1
  • My boyfriend still lives with his mom and soon I will be living with them. It doesn't bother me at all. He works and help with rent and bills. So it's not like he isn't working or not helping out.

0|2
    0|0
  • Its pretty normal with eastern society. Also most of us have land inheritance and prefer to build our own individual house close to the parents rather than moving out renting a place. We value extended family connection and we are expected to care for the parents in their old age.

Maybe its different in the west.

0|1
    0|0
    • Extremely different in the west and it makes sense that you would not move away in your situation

• @jimyee yes I believe so. I heard parents kick their kids away as soon as they turn 18.

• I wouldn't say they generally "kick them away", for the most part the child just wants to embark on their own to gain independence and privacy while the parents would have been more then happy with them living there longer.

• Yes. Nothing wrong with living with your parents. I would actually find that quite attractive seeing how many people these days are very independent and have fewer and more distant family ties.

0|1
    0|0
  • At my age, it wouldn’t be a big deal bc it’s not uncommon for people to live with their parents. However I’d say I’d give a man until his 30’s to have his own place of some sort.

0|2
    0|0
  • I do not really see it as an issue. My boyfriend also lived with his parents as we became a couple (he was 27) and so did I (23 at that point). We moved in together about a year later.
    But this thing with "we won't move together until marriage", THIS would be an issue for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you’re young, like early 20’s or if you are living with your parents as a favor to them because they need your help, then it’s perfectly fine with me. Otherwise, I think it’s ridiculous.

2|1
    0|0
  • A girl? Hell yes. Huge positive. Means close with family and also probably not banging a different dude every night assuming parents wouldn't allow that behavior if she's still at home.

0|3
    1|0
  • My culture is similar to yours. But at the same time most people marry in the 20s. It'd be weird to see someone living with their parents if they're 30+. I guess I'd be okay with it as long as they're not that old.

0|2
    0|0
  • In my culture you generally move out at 18 or maybe the early 20s if you are frugal and go to college. I wouldn't date someone that age now but if I was younger i might. As far as if I would date someone currently who lives with their parents, that's an absolute no.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont think I would be able to. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it would be weird and uncomfortable for me.

0|1
    0|0
    • Show All
    • But again, not a deal breaker! It would really depend on how the person is, his relationship with his family, why he's living there, etc...

• Of course , good argument though

• I would, considering I still live with my own parents. Maybe if things got serious after a year or so, we could consider a place together 😏

0|3
    0|0
  • Okay in Korea it isn’t as normal as it was before but now it’s more like they live close to their parents

1|2
    0|0
  • I'm 20 and leave out of home. I personally don't mind where my future partner stays... as long as he's mature enough

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes. But we should have our house I love privacy. And it does not matter if our house is near his parents house.

0|2
    0|0
  • I wouldn't, as long as we get our own place after marriage.

Family's interference in relationship is just a no-no for me.

0|2
    0|0
  • Depends on how old they are, if theyre employed/independent, the relationship they have to their family, etc

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, I would. I would be an hypocrite if I didn't date a guy just because he still lives with his parents.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would mind. I moved out at the age of 16 and it’s just weird to be living with parents. Unless the person is the only child and needs to take care of their parents then it’s understandable.

0|1
    0|0
    • How? You had a roommate I assume?

• What kind of job did you have at 16 that could pay the bills 😂

• I got a scholarship and moved to Singapore then England from Vietnam. I am now living in Canada so staying with parents isn’t an option :)

• Yes. There's plenty of reasonable reasons why to be still living with

0|2
    0|0
  • If they are living at home to save money for some end goal; like a house, nice car, retirement.

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes of course! Nothing wrong with living with parents. Well in my opinion that is

0|2
    0|0
  • My boyfriend loved with his mom when we first started dating. I moved in with the two of them, and then we eventually moved out into our own place. It depends why they are living with their parents. My boyfriend chose to live with his mother to support her. He had enough money to live on his own so that is what we did.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, why not? Houses/apartments are expensive and if they have enough space to live with their parents then why spend money on rent when they can save those money to buy a home?

0|0
    0|0
  • In my country, it's quite common to live with your parent until you get married. Anyway, I prefer girls who don't do it, despite most of them are girls who prefer to live in a different city than their parents.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I would. I also live with my parents. In my culture is fairly common to live with parents until we get married or move out with a partner.

0|1
    0|0
  • Everyone lives with their parents before marriage here, boys live after marriage too. So yeah 🤷

0|2
    0|0
  • I would/have dated someone who loves with there parents... but the only problem was they get involved with your relationship to much

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the age and society for me personally if you are in mid 20s lets say 24_25 its a turn off.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not for the reasons you gave me.
    But if its because he's doing intense studies to become a dentist or doctor sure i will date it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would. I wasn't able to move out until last weekend, just because the apartments around where I need to live were out of my price range until recently.

0|0
    0|0
  • If she lived with her parents, it would be no issue for me.

0|2
    0|0
  • Well. At least be employed?

0|2
    0|0
    • I guess, some women might find it a turn off but you might wanna mention that it’s due to your culture. But definitely not on the first date

• Yeah I guess. At my age I guess it's still kinda normal to live with parents. I ain't done it since I was 18 so I would prefer if they didn't.

0|0
    0|0
  • it depends on why they still live with their parents, and what they are doing with their life.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's sad that so many kids hate their parents so much that all they can think about is getting their own place.

I saw a commercial where a girl was living with her parents, and at one point she was trying to do yoga in the living room. (Not her room, not even outside, but in the main communal area. Well right when she was about to feel all tranquil or whatever, her mom turns the blender on and yells, "I'm making smoothies!" And it's like, "What? I can't relax and do yoga anywhere at anytime without delicious smoothies being offered to me? Goddamnit, that's IT! It's time to check my credit so I can take out a mortgage!"

I just thought it was so ridiculous, but apparently that is how most people look at it.

Personally, I would love it if my mom made smoothies for me, and I wouldn't get all bent out of shape because the blender was running for two minutes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Um yes in Asia most people still live with parents.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends entirely on the why.

The only time I would take issue with it is if:
    1. They want to move out and
    2. They could if they got a job and just don't have the will to get one

Like if you're a deadbeat individual that's entirely different than, you have a job and pay rent to your parents as you live at home. Or you're living at home because it makes better financial sense. Or you're working, but don't quite have enough saved up yet to move out. Because in those cases you're either happy where you are and still going somewhere in life. But if you're unhappy and stagnant, with no will to do something about it. That's unattractive.

0|0
    0|0
  • What’s wrong with the basement?

It is warm and damp.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, and I hope she will as well, since I co-own a house with my mother.

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean, yeah obviously

0|1
    0|0
  • As long as the person has a job, it's ok.

0|2
    1|0
  • I don't have a problem with that

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|1
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes