Does age really matter in a relationship?

0|2

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say age doesn’t matter. It matters on maturity. I mean a 22 year old girl could be mature for her age and be with a 50 year old guy and I see nothing wrong with that. If they’re in love then they’re in love. But if the girl isn’t mature and is with an older guy, most of the time it won’t work out. Cause they’re on different levels of what they want. The girl probably wants to party and go out but the guy wants to settle down and isn’t into that stuff anymore. Unless they’re only together for other reasons and not really ‘in love’ then they’ll probably somehow make it work and stay together. That’s just an example of course, the gender roles could be switched and still be the same situation. But I think it does matter on maturity and sometimes it could work out. People tend to date around their age range cause they can grow together or already both want the same thing at there point in there life.

I think the only time age matters majorly is if the guy or girl is under 18 and with someone over 18. Then it’s a red flag of course due to the law!

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Depends on how wide the gap is.
    And depends on how young the younger person is.

Someone who is 30 dating someone who's 25 is no big deal.
    But someone who's 20 dating someone who's 15 is.

2|1
    0|0
  • Age gaps can become bigger and bigger as you age for example a 5 year gap between a 15 year old and a 10 year old is a huge difference. When 40 and the other is 45 those 5 years is nothing.

The reason for this is that when young we move into new stages of our lives very often. So we have different priorities and can be very different for someone who is 20 and someone who is 25. It can still work out great but if the priorities are too different then it won't.

So I think looking at what stage someone is in life and what they are looking for compared to you is more important than the actual age difference. Just that most often a big age difference also means big difference in priorities.

There are other factors too of course but this is what I think is most important.

2|1
    0|0
  • No as long as both parties are legal and consenting

2|1
    0|1
  • uh, yes, if the guy is your dad's age or older that is very disturbing.

2|1
    0|0
  • I think there's time when it matters at some ages say like a 30 yr old dating a 16 yr old. There's 10 years different between my husband and he said it would have been a no go if we'd have met when I was 16/17

1|0
    0|0
  • It does to lawmakers.

My opinion is if she is reproductively capable and of sound mind and proper knowledge of sex's well being and the man respects her body, she is okay to be with. Ideally marriage is best but 97% of people don't give a rat's ass about avoiding premarital sex so maybe go with her maturity.

1|0
    0|1
  • Yeah somewhat... age matters when there is a big difference.

2|0
    0|1
    • I need to know how

• If there is a big age gap between a couple, they start to lose harmony over time, they won't fit to become parents, different generation = different mentality and different needs... etc

• Depending on the individual it may or may not matter. I have a personal preference for older guys (not like very old but quite a but older than me) because I can't get along well with my own peers, for someone else it might be the opposite and they can't get along with older ones, so someone's personality can influence what age diff suits them.

But age, as a number, doesn't really matter. I mean, sometime later in life I might come across someone three years or even younger than me and I could still feel like we click and that time I wouldn't hold back for something as silly as.. age. As long as you're past the age of consent or age of marriage, you can be with whoever you want.

1|0
    0|1
  • Not if you're both around the same age. It matters greatly when one of you is due for a casket, I've seen such 'couples', too, but honestly, I don't think such 'relationships' would be anything but superflous, so noone really cares.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes usually it does and it will crop up sometime alony the way

1|0
    0|0
  • It can... I would consider it wrong ro date someone who I am. old enough to be the father of... outside of that. Nah just a number

1|0
    0|0
  • Kinda. If you're 20 and the guy is 60, you're at very different stages in your life and it could be hard to relate to them. It matters to an extent.

0|0
    0|0
  • No necessarily, though it can be a factor. A lot of people are able to make 20+ years difference work.

But Michael Jackson still shouldn't have been messing with those 12 year olds.

0|2
    1|0
  • For me, yes, because girls in their 50's can't make babies anymore.

1|0
    0|0
  • YES. Even just 6 years is too much.
    Also the statistics say the bigger the difference, the higher the odds the relationship will end.

2|1
    0|1
  • Yea. My wife is 9 days older than me and I get picked out

1|0
    0|1
  • Nope, I was talking to a girl today who was like age 35-36
    she is Single Parent and might get to know her more not too
    sure it all depends how things flow.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. They must be old enough to consent, by law. Besides that, it depends on what relationship you are wanting. Since I want an equal, lifelong relationship, I am restricted to those will my age group by at most 5 years, because I want to be in the same phase of life as them during our relationship, and I want to live about as long as they do. Ideally, I would be with someone the same age as me, so that we have the same stage of life to go through consistently. This is my current understanding of it, at least. Other's relationships may differ in requirements.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think its fucking weird when people date more than say max 5 years apart

1|0
    0|1
  • It depends on the type of partner you want. I don't care about age. So many time. MATURITY is something that not age.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. If it didn't matter 50 year olds could date 11 year olds

0|0
    0|0
  • To me nice behavior matters the most. Then height matters but Age n race doesn't matter.

1|0
    0|0
  • To me it does. I don't wanna date anyone a lot older than me

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I seen mature man dating underage girls. Where ever is legal in the United States of America.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as you're both consenting adults or both teenagers then no otherwise yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • We kind of have laws to answer this one...

1|0
    0|0
  • doesn't matter to me

2|0
    0|0
  • Age don't matter but consent does

2|1
    0|1
  • sometime yes

2|0
    0|0
  • It depends upon the couple.

1|0
    0|0
  • It can. It varies for everyone.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't really concern myself with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Age is just a number it doesn't matter

1|1
    1|0
  • Yes it does

0|2
    0|1
  • Ya lol... of course it does

0|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend is almost 42 & I’m 48

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really …..

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it is just a number.

0|0
    1|0
  • I hope not.. lol

0|1
    0|0
  • not really

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes u does

0|0
    0|0
  • Sumtimes but moat times no

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Maturity and experience gaps can cause problems in a relationship. Not to mention it's just plain wrong if a middle aged man goes after a barely legal girl. Major red flags.

1|1
    0|0
  • Depends on how wide the gap is. No one should be dating someone who’s old enough to be their parent. As long as both people are over 18 and consenting it doesn’t matter.

1|1
    0|0
  • In a relationship, yes. In a golddigger-sugar daddy relationship no.
    People in different life stages can't be genuine partners.

1|2
    0|1
    • Not true. I know a guy who is 57 and just married a 32 year old. They seem very happy.

• Who wants to be a partner? That's gross. Try husband and wife. And you know a man who is say 35 and a woman who is 22 could both be looking to start a family, so they could be in the same life stage.

• In my opinión yes and yes

0|0
    0|0
  • No long as both are 18.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes