Is being shy a bad thing?

I have a very outgoing boyfriend and he is constantly talking to people (and having girls hit on him) and I'm just painfully shy I can barely talk to new people and get really nervous when I need to and I keep feeling like he can do better or I'm not giving him enough because he gets lots of invites to parties and group meetings and he often doesn't go because he knows I would hate it but whenever it try to be more outgoing I go ridiculously over the top and it comes off as weird is it worth looking for a medium? is there anything I can do to make my shyness effect him less and is being shy a bad thing

Is being shy a bad thing?
Is being shy a bad thing?

95

Most Helpful Girls

• Being shy isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can impact our ability to communicate with others. Go slow, don't just jump into things. Do something like this:
    Day 1: Say hi to a stranger (or smile and nod)
    Day 2: Say hi to 2 strangers
    Etc...
    Day 10: Say hi to a person and start a small conversation (can be something simple like, "Hey, I love your shirt, where'd you get it?" That way you can just let them talk
    Day 11: 2 strangers...
    Etc..

We gain more confidence each time we do something and become more familiar with it, so go slow and work your way up

• 7d

So just walk up to two random people and say hi?

• 6d

Also is there a good way to turn down a guy I mean when I need to I kinda just ignore them until they leave me alone because I can't bring myself to tell them I don't like them is there a good way to do this

• 6d

I had a problem where I was nervous talking to people that's normal for me and a guy thought it was because I liked him and now I don't want to turn him down but I know I need to

• You gotta accept yourself for who you are. Let your boyfriend go to those gatherings by himself. If you are comfortable to go then go. If not, don't hold him back. Only let him stay if he wants to stay but give him the option to go. Extroverts love to talk and be around people and if you deprive him of that then it's like depriving a flame of oxygen.