Do you think people's dating preferences with regards to race would be different if they didn't have their family's opinions to consider?

If so, in what ways?
  • Yes
  • No

1819

Most Helpful Girls

• Hell yes! I have so many friends and know so many people who don't even consider or "can't understand how it will work" because they're family want a particular type of guy for them. It's so frustrating I don't necessarily get along with people from same race as me but every time I bring up someone from another I get questioned and looks like I'm crazy. I think it's because families and people are more comfortable with what they think they know and everyone has opinions on other races except their own (which is totally wrong).

• Likely yes. My dad's side of the family was openly against dating/marrying outside of our race, even long before I was old enough to date. One of my first crushes was a Mexican boy who didn't speak English and played with my hair in class.

Most Helpful Guys

• Maybe. But if my family rejected her because of race i would lose a lot of respect for my family. And i think that would be hard for me to get passed whether her and I worked out or not. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen though.

• I was told by a woman once that her family would never accept me because I'm white. They were old school and wanted her to date within her race. South Asian.