Do you think people's dating preferences with regards to race would be different if they didn't have their family's opinions to consider?

If so, in what ways?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|2

Most Helpful Girls

• Hell yes! I have so many friends and know so many people who don't even consider or "can't understand how it will work" because they're family want a particular type of guy for them. It's so frustrating I don't necessarily get along with people from same race as me but every time I bring up someone from another I get questioned and looks like I'm crazy. I think it's because families and people are more comfortable with what they think they know and everyone has opinions on other races except their own (which is totally wrong).

0|1
    0|0
  • Likely yes. My dad's side of the family was openly against dating/marrying outside of our race, even long before I was old enough to date. One of my first crushes was a Mexican boy who didn't speak English and played with my hair in class.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Maybe. But if my family rejected her because of race i would lose a lot of respect for my family. And i think that would be hard for me to get passed whether her and I worked out or not. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen though.

0|1
    0|0
  • I was told by a woman once that her family would never accept me because I'm white. They were old school and wanted her to date within her race. South Asian.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Hard to say, since I don't really understand why family should have any say in dating partners. I honestly don't believe anyone can know better than the person themselves, who is the right partner for them. Even though people make mistakes. But I suppose some people want their family's approval and some families are very strict with race (and/or culture). So I guess it would make a difference in some situations.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'll be honest, when dating family opinions should be ignored only when they are blatantly racist or prejudiced.
    Although it wasn't exactly regarding race, one of the things that made my mother hesitant about my girlfriend was her heritage (her mother is Georgian), but I flew over that.
    She was also worried about the fact she had her mother Georgian surname and not her Italian father's, even though said father disappeared when she was 4.
    Obviously, I flew over those stupid prejudices.

1|1
    0|0
    • To clarify, because it happened that someone misunderstood, Georgia as the Asian state in the Caucasus, not the American state.

• Yeah if it wasn't for my family members being so ok with mating with people who aren't black I probably wouldn't date out of my race

0|1
    0|0
  • Do you think people's dating preferences with regards to race would be different if they didn't have their family's opinions to consider?

no. I like white guys. point blank period. I know thats racist but I can't help it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, there are certain groups, such as among Jews, where peer pressure to date only other Jews is rather significant. Larger groups could be e. g. religious Muslims/Christians and such.

Then there is naturally the entire event of arranged marriages, where the preferences of family matter a lot.

So yeah, I'd say that dating preferences of lots of people would be very different

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope I would choose who I choose I am not pressured. At the same time I would ask my family's opinion if she makes them uncomfortable if so might be a no go. My family's opinion on her race wouldn't stop me though only thing that would is if they generally didn't like her attitude.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think people are generally attracted to their own race, and the statistics still back that up. Honestly, if not for parental taboos I don't think you'd see as many white girls dating black guys, as this is seen as the new age way or rebelling.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've heard people say things like "I would date any race/ethnicity but I know my parents wouldn't like it". As in, they wouldn't prevent themselves from doing it either way. But yeah, in some cases there's pressure from the family.

0|1
    0|0
  • I date whoever I want. I’m the one who’s going home with them and my family doesn’t have any strings over my head since I’m self sufficient

0|1
    0|0
  • Mostly yes, especially for people who come from cultures or communities where "keeping it pure" is the attitude and people who care more about what their family thinks.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not really. Because some of it is genetic, and wouldn't matter if the family got involved or not. People will date whoever they want unless their weak and can't form their own opinions. I don't believe in race, and people who do, I stay away from. I say it defers from person to person. If they value their opinion, they may consider. But what's the difference if the friends, community and so forth got involved? It wouldn't have been different. If one is close to family, usually. If one values outside influences, it's the same. In other words, people who care about others opinions would. Those who don't, won't.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it has a lot to do with not only family but media, family and growing up in an area with no culture

1|2
    0|0
  • I've never cared about my families opinions regarding my relationships, so my preferences are the same.

0|1
    0|0
  • That's an extremely good question how long would you mention the answer would be yes it would be different hi person it never experienced it but there again I am at my nose I can be a belligerent stubborn so I've always been left to my own device if I report someone of a different race home it would have been ok if my sister had he would not been ok and that sounds terrible but that is the truth bigotry and racism it's a band evil thing but I've rose above that and I've told my children but it's all inclusive even if you turn it to be day it doesn't matter you need to be happy you know and who you are so I think if you do find someone of a different race concentrate on them and not what your family says

0|1
    0|0
  • Other people's opinions don't matter if you're truly attracted to someone. You might not actually date the person based on what your family believes but your preference wouldn't change due to that

0|1
    0|0
  • I guess it would depend on whether ones family is racist or not.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah definitely since you are going to be in family gatherings with them and there will always be some that won’t approve

0|1
    0|0
  • The views of others are of their own decisions. whether they agree with their parents views or not is up to them.

0|1
    0|0
  • Some obviously would, but not over all because preference for ones own race is genetic.

0|1
    0|0
  • My family never really made it that big of a deal to date within my race. I just like black guys🤷🏾

0|1
    0|0
  • Most people are sissies when it comes to their family, so "yes".

0|1
    0|0
  • No. It's natural to perfer your own race and people that look like you and your family.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes very true plus its the same with the age thing as well

0|1
    0|0
  • A different race is fine. A different culture, only maybe.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mine wouldn’t

0|1
    0|0
  • No he's fine how he is

0|1
    0|0
  • Mine wouldn't... My family doesn't care tbh...

0|1
    0|0
  • irrelevant to me

0|1
    1|0
  • No, at least not for me.

0|1
    0|0
  • who cares what other people think

0|1
    0|0
  • no you date who your attracted to regardless

0|1
    0|0
  • Other people's might be but mine wouldn't

0|1
    0|0
  • Not really, not where I'm from. I'd date whoever I wanted to, my family would have no say in that since it's my own life.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes