I'm nervous to meet my boyfriend's parents?

My boyfriend and I have been together since the end of August and we've had a pretty good relationship. I'm not going to say we are perfect because we aren't, no one is. So we have been together for 6/7 months and we are finally doing the whole 'meet the parents' thing.

But I'm Black and he's White. I'm not trying to play the race card however it's harder for a Black women to be accepted to a White man's family. I'm really nervous that they won't like me due to my race however I really do like my boyfriend. He's met my mum numberous of times and she likes him. She doesn't care about his race.

Plus my boyfriend's family is your typical white rich posh family (not trying to be sterotypical but it is) which makes me even more nervous that I won't get accepted.

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I think all of us have been frightened to meet partners parents but I think it's nice that he wants to introduce you to his parents it certainly shows his serious and committed to you so don't think of the scared and serve it think of the joy when you think about him thinking about you in that way that he he wants you to be his girlfriend for a long time surely that's reassuring enough to go through a bit of awkwardness I hope you make it as a couple

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It's normal to be nervous (race issues aside). I read in some comments that they know about you, so I assume they know the fact that you're black. So it's pretty safe to say they WANT to know you. Talk it out with your boyfriend! I'm sure he'll comfort you by saying you have nothing to worry about. And if the case is, it IS a problem, well, it's their loss. It's them who are wrong... So, just go, be yourself, have fun, enjoy it!

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm black married to a white guy. My advice is say as little as possible but be polite. Don't force others to like you it will come naturally.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Girl we've all been there meeting the parents is hard
    Tips
    Don't gossip
    Don't be rude to anyone especially the suspicious family member
    respect everyone
    Help out in kitchen or offer to
    Bring a gift something small ie bake something or bottle
    Don't touch him too much
    Don't brag about yourself let them find out over time
    Dress a bit conservative
    Don't drink
    But don't try too hard remember he is the one you are dating not his parents

2|0
    0|0
  • Obviously it depends on the family, but you shouldn't assume that they won't approve because of your race. I assume he's not doing the "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" thing (an old movie) and has actually told his family something about you and showed them pictures.

Besides, meeting the parents is always stressful regardless.

1|0
    0|0
    • No, they do know who I am and have seen pictures of me. I'm jus nervous to actually see them face to face. Plus he's my first boyfriend so this all so new to me.

• Like I said, it's normal to be nervous when meeting the SO's ma and pa. Try to relax and not worry too much.

• I doubt and hope race will not be an issue for you with the whole "meet the parents" thing. It is nerve wracking as is without throwing bigots into the mix. lol!

I assume most reasonable parents just want their child to be happy and well so if having you in their child's life makes their child happy and well, I expect most parents will be thrilled to meet ya'.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just be yourself and see how it goes. The worst that could happen is that they hate you and don't want their son yo be with you but in the end it's about what he wants and he likes you so it doesn't matter. I'm sure they will be civil with you

0|1
    0|0
  • Don’t be nervous, either they like you or don’t but bottom line is your not dating them, don’t be disrespectful even if they say something rude, just be you don’t pretend to be someone else and if they don’t like you (f**k them)

0|0
    0|0
  • Does his parents even know about you? Or the fact that you are black? You should be okay anyway.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah they know about me. I'm just nervous that due to my race they won't accept me.

• So they know you are black?

• perks of dating me: I haven't had anything to do with my family for the past five years and I don't plan to

2|0
    0|0
  • You haven't met his parents yet? yikes. he doesn't think much about you. Sorry

0|0
    3|0
    • I don't think so. He only met my mum two months ago plus its easier for him to see my mum a lot as she doesn't have a busy work schedule in comparison to his parents who are always abroad because of their work.

• If they don't accept you because of your race it's not your fault but theirs. Just be gentle and polite and everything will go alright.

2|0
    0|0
  • These differences all make us nervous, but don't sweat it previously the woman I was with she is more of the upper class and all her family are very well educated and smart etc.

My family are more middle class I guess from a working background and were both terribly nervous.

Also different religions, she was more nervous of my family not accepting her being Catholic as mine are Jewish. Just go with it. Good people will see your nervous and accept it. The more you meet them the better it will get :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't be when my girlfriend met my parents she was super nervous but they loved her just don't gossip and ur going to be ok

1|0
    0|0
  • Im not entirely sure that is is easier for a black woman to be accepted by a white family. The society where im from there is a lot of mixed ethnicity and cultures living side by side. I grew up around a lot of black and Asian people. But never did i feel as strange as I did walking into a black girls house to meet the family. Perhaps because I was the minority which I haven't really experienced before. All in all you will be fine. If he likes you the parents should understand that. If they don't then fuck um

1|0
    0|0
  • You'd be surprised on how LITTLE parents care about what their kids are doing and who they are will and have their own life.

0|0
    0|0
  • If they don’t like you, what’s the worst thing that could happen?

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't be nervous as your boyfriend Ioves you only that matters

1|0
    0|0
  • This is not even a question. reporting as not a question

0|0
    0|0
  • did you ask him about what the parents think about race? just to get some insight

0|0
    0|0
  • Just be polite and they will like you

1|0
    0|0
  • breath and you will be fine lol just be yourself

1|0
    0|0
  • Be yourself it's fine

1|0
    0|0
  • I am too but I always say I'm not