Is kissing on a first date too soon?

Updates:
* I felt we had a connection when we kissed but we didn’t text after that (it’s been just a day tho). I’ve realised he’s not a great texter. Is he ghosting me?

2|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I asked a similar question yesterday and would like your perspective. Personally I feel like kissing is ok on the first date if you feel a connection. It begins the physical connection as an expression of how we feel emotionally and will only increase as the relationship deepens.

However my question to you is how would you feel if after 3 good dates the guy had not kissed you yet? What if he told you that he was attracted to you and felt a sexual connection but wanted to delay physical touch until the feelings deepened? Would you think something was wrong or would you react positively?

1|0
    1|0
    • Tbh it depends on the guy in question. If he was someone well worth the wait - as in being interesting, cute, polite, good looking yes - I would wait. Otherwise, if I didn’t feel attracted to him or that he lacks attitude, I would probably ghost.

• Show All
    • Thanks for your opinion Jess. One of the most frequently asked questions on GaG seems to be girls wondering how the guy feels about them. Whether it’s a crush or they are dating, the girls feel unsure of if he shares the feelings she has.

So as a guy I would prefer to communicate my feelings openly and feel like physical touch is one way girls know that a guy wants them. When a guy kisses a girl it communicates she is more than a friend and he has romantic intentions.

• Yea 🥰 I’m never going to have a first date again. But that’s ok. 🥰👰🏻💒👷🏼‍♂️💍 He’ll always be my BEST date

• I don't think it's too soon. But personally, I'd want to wait until I built up more attraction to their personality. The kissing would only be fueled by impulsive sexual desire if it's on the first date (and there's nothing wrong with that). But I think it would feel better with someone that I truly love inside and out. If you feel like you are based on the first date then, by all means, go ahead. There shouldn't be a limit on it unless you have a specific goal in mind that would get disrupted if the kiss were to take place. 👌

For the update: Time will tell.

0|1
    1|0
    • "The kissing would 'Probably' only be fueled by impulsive sexual desire if it's on the first date."*

• You are almost certainly correct, even though the mind likes to fool us otherwise.

• 2d

Thank you, my friend!

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't think It's a rule that applies to every case. Sometimes you kiss on the first date other times you don't or shouldn't. If the moment's right and if it feels like it then you have a green light to do so. On whether or not he's ghoasting you, you gotta wait and see within three days if three days have gone by and he hasn't even said "Hey" then he's not worth your time. Everyone got things going on but no one is THAT busy. Best of luck!

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the intention and energy behind the kiss. I think it can be good if it's the type of kiss where you both know you're really perfect for each other and there's amazing chemistry right away! Otherwise you might want to consider why it is you want to kiss this person

0|0
    1|0
    • Having already kissed on a first date, how would you approach a second date?

• Assuming you both enjoyed the kiss, I say go into the second date feeling thankful you've found someone you have a connection with! Don't expect another kiss (or more), just feel it out. If it feels right to kiss again on the second date, do that. If not, that's okay!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Only of you are not comfortable with it.

4|4
    0|0
    • Having already kissed on a first date, how would you approach a second date?

• Maybe hold hands, kiss more passionately. It is one of those things where you play it by ear and do what feels right. No need to force anything.

• Nope, I mean you're going to have to do it eventually. As long as it is not forced and I'm in the mood then sure

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • IF you are both comfortable and into it, it isn't too soon. Don't let norms dictate your compass. Follow the gut and let the spark lead the way.

Flip the script. Leave him a text and tell him you felt a great connection and enjoyed the date. Let him make the next move. Waiting for x number of days after a date is so cliche and some guys are naively led to believe that. So give him a little assurance and give yourself a confidence boost by flipping the script. Go after what you like

1|0
    0|0
    • The only thing is that at the end of the date I asked him if he would like to meet up again and he said he would text me about Friday evening or Sunday during the day. But almost 3 days have passed and I haven’t heard from him!

• Drop him a text asking if he is still on for plans as you two talked about it. If he replies in the positive then you got yourself a date and closure. If he does not, then consider yourself lucky for knowing early on what kind of man he turned out to be and bold enough for cutting through the dating cliches as well getting closure. Either way you get closure. Do not text him after that, wait for his response. A gentleman would follow up with his words. Good luck

• If someone pulls you into a kiss with their handshake and you don't resist, I would assume there's going to be a kiss. Each party has their say as to what KIND of kiss: cheek, lips, French, short, long. All depends on how the date went and what feels right, eh?

0|0
    1|0
    • It's only been a day. Three days and no text is impolite or maybe you're ghosted. Breathe. Don't worry. People don't ghost you because you kissed them. If you're ghosted, it's because they're not interested.

• if its just a chaste kiss then I suppose not. Don't give in to temptation and start making out tho. There's nothing wrong in taking things slow.

As for guys, yep they are kinda bad texters. It doesn't mean he's not interested or anything

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really honey. If you can find the chemistry then why not, there are many girls who don't mind jumping into bed on 1st date
    If he is not texting then as you said he may not be a good texter.. just give him a little time or you can call him and get to know his tone and the whole situation will get clearer for you

0|0
    0|0
  • You have to decide that. For me, that is too intimate, WAY too soon. That's why I prefer friends not dating strangers. Sadly, if he is not being consistent with you, there is a chance he is ghosting you.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends. I've been on first dates with guys who I have kissed and some who I haven't. The guys who I have kissed on first dates, I had seen them plenty of times before. With my boyfriend, he didn't kiss me on our first date and I don't think it would have been right if he did. I think it all depends on the moment and how well you felt a connection.

0|0
    1|0
  • Give it time. At your age (any age for that matter) there’s too many playing games

1|0
    0|0
    • Are there any playing games at the age of 23?

• Show All
    • How much time should I give him? Can it be that he’s just waiting for me to text back?

The only thing is that when the date ended I asked him if he would like to meet up again and he said he would text me to arrange something again on Friday or Sunday.

So, not sure if I should wait a couple of more days or just text him!

• He probably doesn’t want to appear too eager as I’m sure you don’t either hence why you’re asking this question. He mentioned Friday or Saturday specifically? I would wait and see if he follows through. You’ve already said you want to get together again so be patient and wait to see what happens.

• Not at all. In fact if you don't you risk not getting another date cause the girl will think you aren't interested and move on to avoid getting rejected or ghosted if she texts back. At the very least, she will think you're a pussy if you don't try go for a kiss. Unless she didn't like you on the date, then she'll be glad you didn't try haha.

0|0
    1|0
  • If kissing happens between many strangers at nightclubs, there’s nothing wrong with one after a first date

2|1
    1|0
  • I don't view it as a taboo. If it feels right for you both then it'll happen naturally anyway, even if its on the first date

1|1
    2|1
  • When it was just a date a simple kiss of greeting doesn't matter much, but if it's on the lips and passionate you two shared some romance between you.

About texting, ita not important but you both should have met or called again. If not it was just an act in the spur of moment.

0|0
    0|0
  • ... No, not in the slightest. If I DON'T kiss her on the first date, then that's a bad thing because it means the passion isn't there. And without passion, there's no second date. If neither of us are feeling it, that's not a good sign about chemistry.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe he’s waiting for you to text 🤷🏻‍♀️ We didn’t kiss until the third date. Tension to kiss was built! I was so awkward having kissed only two times. 🙈 That’s kind of why I didn’t kiss him the first date. Too nervous. And the second date... well I tried to snuggle up to him and he was a brick wall. We still don’t know what happened there lol but the third date he was gonna kiss me by god!

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think so, if it feels right to you. If it went well I’d want a hug and a kiss on the cheek, but if it went really well I’d want a proper kiss on the lips.

0|0
    1|0
  • Depends how the date went and how the chemistry is working between the two of you.

0|0
    1|0
    • Well we met through a date app. The conversation was just flowing normally and we even shared personal stuff about family and I could really feel the chemistry going. We even kissed more than once. But we didn’t make out nor anything. I asked him at the end of the date if he would like to meet up again and he said that he would text me to know about Friday or Sunday

• I don't see anything bad about it then. Kissed more than once, means you two probably connect pretty well. Some people don't like doing it soon, some do. Its all personal preference really.

• Determinant of whether or not it's too soon is the emotional connection in my opinion. If there's not a kiss on the bad date, then it was likely a bad date or the tension just isn't there. Maybe you're seeing someone who just has hang ups on that, but even then they'll want to kiss and you can feel them holding themselves back if that's the case.

0|0
    0|0
  • You simply cannot forge a relationship by texting.
    If you're attracted to each other then why would you NOT kiss?

0|0
    1|0
    • So what is that suppose to mean. That he is not texting to set up another meeting?

• I wouldn’t kiss someone if I didn’t want to pursue something more with them!

• Depends. I was already dating my girlfriend when we had our first date so it was definitely not too soon. But if you aren't dating this person yet and you don't know if you actually like them, maybe save it till a second date. If you know you like them and want to show them, kiss them. It depends on your relationship with the person and if you like them or not.

0|0
    1|0
  • Eh. I don’t see an issue with a little peck. It can also depend on the connection you felt and how long you knew them before you went on the date.

0|0
    1|0
    • Well we met through a date app. The conversation was just flowing normally and we even shared personal stuff about family and I could really feel the chemistry going.

• Show All
    • Today is Monday so 2 days ago

• Yeah wait for him

• Maybe I'm just old fashioned but yes I think it's too soon.

3|1
    0|1
  • if the chemistry was there I see nothing wrong with it

0|1
    1|0
    • And would you text her back after this? Would you wait to text? Would you ghost her?

• I might text her a "good night ". I might go silent for a while I would only ghost if the date was horrible but I wouldn't kiss if that was the case

• Don't look anywhere you can see you are watching him Just wait until 7 days have passed if Sunday late evening no answer there's no chance he would call you anymore besides a booty cal. I think I am much more extreme in this opinion I say why don't we cuddle and kiss on first sight for like 15 minutes see what happens but no real sex is allowed so no penetration or licking or fingers inside

0|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend and I kissed on the first day. Kissing on the first day shouldn't be a problem per se, but it depends on the kind of person you're dating.

0|0
    1|0
  • in my opinion it’s too soon because you’re still getting to know the person and kissing them will blind you from really getting to know them. Things can get physical fast

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally, I always want to kiss on a first date. For me, if the kiss isn't good, it won't work out in the long run so there won't be date two.

0|3
    1|1
  • I always waited but for others it feels right sooner

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless you don't want to but do whatever you want. Some people feel a connection earlier than others and there is no issue in that I guess.
    Dating is not my thing though.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is okay to kiss on first date, I have kissed a couple of guys on first date. It depends how you feel when you are with him.

0|0
    1|0
  • I wouldn't say so, it's all about what you're comfortable with and what you want nothing like this is 'too soon' or anything if you're both okay with ti.

0|0
    1|1
  • I dont think so and what If it was a long distance relationship u guys would be pretty much ready for marriage by then so I imagine it be a great idea to kiss then

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes. At least for me. I can't speak for everyone. Lol

0|1
    0|0
  • For me it's too soon, unless it just a little kiss of fondness.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think its neccesarry coz its like a basic instinct thst could help us realise if we really like/trust/want more of the person in our lives more

0|0
    0|0
  • For me it’s too soon. I need at least 3 dates to know the person better before kissing...

0|0
    0|0
    • If the guy hasn’t kissed you or touched you after 3 dates, how can you tell he is into you romantically? Maybe he doesn’t have strong sexual feelings and is just going out with you to see if sparks develop.

• I am perfectly willing to have sex on the first date so not kissing on the first day as well would be weird.

0|0
    1|0
  • I don't think so at all! If the chemistry is there then why not go for it! We only live once!

0|1
    1|0
  • Not at all, I’m even ok with sex on the first date, if I’m dating her that means I really like her!

0|2
    1|0
  • Umm.. hahaha. If you’ve known the guy for awhile and your horny.. if he’s just amazing 😉 I don't know up to you

0|0
    1|0
  • Perfectly normal.

Assuming you are attracted to each other, but i dont know why you would go on a date if you werent

0|0
    1|0
  • I don't think it should be full on make out session, but a normal kiss maybe if you feel a connection.

0|0
    1|0
  • Dont jinx it. It's only been a day let's cross our fingers and hope for the best.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you feel the chemistry, then no its not too soon

0|0
    0|0
  • Lmao! " I've realised he's not a great texter. Is he ghosting me?" This shit cracks me up.

0|0
    0|0
  • At my last 3 dates (with different women) we even fucked at the first night.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s NEVER too soon. If you’re both feeling it, go for it.

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes I think so. If you go on a lot of dates you kiss a lot of people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe he didn't like u but not because you kissed him

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes