Mixed signals after meeting up. Is he just being polite?

Hi guys,

I could use some advice on how to read this little situation.

I met a guy on an app like tinder but that’s work-related. It’s about creating a network and opportunities... Anyways, we talked by text for a few days. I realized I might get attached to a virtual thing and slowed it down, I was scared... He gave me his number and wanted to meet, eventually I gave in.

We never said if it was a date or a work thing, just « to meet each other ».

So coffee happened, we payed for our own drinks and talked for two hours. I was a bit bored sometimes but definitely enjoyed his company. I told him I had to leave early cause I had stuff to buy for work on the next day.

Usually the guys I meet offer to pay for me. He didn’t, I figured he was not attracted to me. I didn’t mind him not paying, in fact I prefer it to be like that because then I don’t feel like owing the guy anything.. I was just trying to know how to read things given the undefined context. And he wasn’t tactile, just a lot talkative about work related things.. So I figured there wouldn’t be anything after this coffee thing but when i told him I had to leave, he said he would walk me to my tube station and then go home (he’s been in my city for two months only and doesn’t know it very well yet). I missed my tube to buy a ticket and yet he waited... Conclusion: he’s very polite!

I went home and three hours later, he texted that: « I was happy to meet you and I really enjoyed talking to you! See you soon! »

I didn’t know if he was being polite. The text seemed so and there was no opening in it ( whereas we were texting more before we met) ... So i replied : « aww it’s sweet, thanks :) it was a pleasure to chat, I also had a nice time! I hope you had no trouble finding your way home. See you :) » - No reply after that -

Question: do you think he only texted me out of politeness? Because there’s no room for an opening in his text.. I just wanna be set and move on if so.

Thanks

84