What makes people return to a toxic relationship?

Which option is more true to you?
Which option is more true to you?
  • They believe the other person can change or they think if change for real this time, the toxicity will dissipate
  • People tend to look back after a short time through rose tinted glasses instead of questioning the future of the relationship
  • It is easier for most people to get back with a toxic ex partner than it is for them to find a new partner
    Vote C
  • They've put in a lot of emotional or financial investments and are too stuborn to admit they were wrong about their partner
    Vote D
  • Something else
    Vote E

2310

Most Helpful Girls

• Believe it or not, there have actually been multiple scientific studies finding that a lot of people will end up in relationships with people who behave similarly to their more difficult parent, ie their more toxic parent, because subconsciously, they'd rather deal with a brand of crazy they're familiar with. There's also evidence to suggest that a lot of people also do it as an attempt to redo that bungled relationship with that parental figure.

• 7d

I've read about this too lol. So people in these situations have to consciously select "boring" partners who are supposedly good for you if your childhood was toxic?

• For me it is always focusing on good times than the bad. I believe in trying to fix things and don't give up easily

Most Helpful Guys

• Because toxicity itself can become addictive in nature and people tend to miss addictive behavior whether it is good or bad.