Can you be with someone who is in debt?

What if the debt is huge?

Can you be with someone who is in debt?
Can you be with someone who is in debt?

1112

1112
  • I would have to take each situation into consideration but it is certainly not ideal, and could be a deal breaker.

• Not hugely in debt, no. We'd have too much conflict over differing spending habits.

• Depends what he means to me (if i love him) and what it is/why he's in debt. If its bc of something dumb then no bc that demonstrates a big flaw in his character. If its because of something understandable and maybe even important, I would even help him pay off the debt !

• Depends on why. Most of my friends have a college debt, I wouldn't mind that. The only ones who don't are the ones with rich parents.

If they are just chronically bad with money, that would be a red flag for me.

• I think that person should focus on getting out of debt instead of worrying if somebody would want them with debt. The answer with the most common sense is no, especially if he can't get out of it.

• Nope. Well maybe if they just did a bankruptcy and then we never got married at least for 11 years so it falls off their credit. That would be how it would have to be done.

• If someone is buying a house or car they have a huge debt so I think most people would be with someone that is in debt unless they got lucky and won the lottery or something.

• Are we talking about student loans? because that different and there many avenues to help with that. Or something like bankruptcy... from a previous relationship? He stole from the Irs umm didn't pay his taxes? Own child support?
    If its anything huge like my last four examples
    0/10.
    And for those who like to think oh so deep and say: "we are all in debt. "This is true to the contrary. But not all debts are at a heavy price. There are many ways to reap some of your benefits and fruits. Many of these debts are choices. Did you really need that 50 thousand dollar car? Did you really read the terms of that oh so easy loan you got? Or 100 dollar cell phone bill for one phone? I mean we can lie and deceive ourselves big time. If your that knee deep in debt, You really need to ask yourself why and retrace your steps.

• 5d

Actually student loans are way worse than any other kind of debt because bankruptcy will wipe all debt away but student loans so actually financially you can get out of that debt but student loan debt will not go away you have to pay it

• 5d

@AtcoGhost I paid half of the mines by going on the student forgiveness plan...(still on the program)

There avenues you just have to search for them. And I also worked two jobs to keep my loans extremely low. In high school, I applied for many free grants stay up many nights. Was totally
      worth it.

• Long ago, my boyfriend was in debt because he was jobless for a while and he had loans & bills that were pilling up. I offered to help but he secured a new job eventually. Not long after he got a new job, he was back on track repaying his loans and cleaning up his bills. That's admirable.

What's not admirable is anyone who is in debt up to his or her eyeballs because of gambling, drugs, alcoholism and/or bad vices. I had a relentless suitor who was in big debt because of numerous inexcusable issues and he was hoping I'd be that sugar mommy who'll support his sorry ass. No way Jose!

• Everyone in university (unless their parents are rich or they lend nothing) are in debt, so yeah.

• Really depends. Most importantly, it’s a matter of whether he recognizes it and is willing to make the effort to reduce or eliminate it.

• Did that with my ex wife and her complusive spending.. it's no fun clearing her debts and the mess believe me that's left behind

• Yeah you can.

• How huge of a debt are we talking about?

• nahh

• No. I prefer a partner that is good with money

• Yea cause I am in debt due to student loans

• hell nah

• Yes you can. Most people have debt of some kind.

• depends on the debt

• Yes you can be with them.

• Depends on their trajectory. If they are managing what they have well and are paying it down consistently it's not too big a deal. If they have 10 maxed out credit cards and are making minimum payments, GTFO.

I got out of debt completely a year ago. Holy shit is that life changing. I don't want to end up with someone that will drag me right back into it

• Nope