Are guys sometimes too shy to text girls first, are these signs that he‘s interested or not?

sleepypj
I‘ve met this guy at university and he‘s really quiet. I follow him on instagram and also follow his friends that he hangs out with at uni, and what i‘ve noticed is that he rarely meets up with them in his free time and doesn‘t talk that much. Recently we started having a lot of eye contact, not just brief glances but like really looking at eachother for a few seconds. I never really noticed him paying attention to others like this, so i sent him a request on insta to follow him. The eye contact kept happening but it went on for like 2-3 months, so now it‘s just that our eyes meet here and there but that‘s about it. We also listen to the same music and i post a lot on my insta story and he always watches them but he never really tried to make the first step, not even talking wise. Should i give my hopes up? It‘s been a few months already i can‘t tell if he‘s interested or not. And i don‘t know why he won‘t text me if i gave him a lot of chances to do so. Maybe i sent some mixed signals? Or maybe he‘s just not interested? But what did the eye contact mean then? Would love to hear your opinion lol
He‘s interested, but too shy. Try to make the first step
He doesn‘t seem interested at all. He would have talked to you if he was.
GirlGuy
7
1