Why do I do all of this? It makes a statement to my date: this guy takes dating seriously, he wants to make a good impression on me, and he will treat me nicely if I get into a relationship with him. Yes, I know that many guys on this site will say that this is WAY too much effort and I am making myself subservient to her by "sucking up" so openly. That is not true. I make it clear to a woman that while I am willing to treat her like a queen, I will expect her to treat me like a king.
The women I date have a similar attitude about dating and, in particular, a first date. They arrive for the date dressed very nicely, very nicely groomed, and it is obvious that they, too, want to make a good impression. This is how my generation dates.
I could go the casual route but I fear that my date might think that none of this is a very big deal for me or maybe I am one of those guys who is afraid to show any signs of caring at all. I think that is a horrible impression to give on a first date.
How do you approach a first date?
- No effort; dating is very casual so, when the time comes, I just get up and go
- Some effort; I brush my teeth and comb/brush my hair
- Somewhat more effort; I take a shower, wash my hair, put on some clean clothes
- Even more effort; I get a haircut/hairstyle before the date and do my nails, shower, clean clothes, etc.
- Significant effort; I get a haircut/hairstyle before the date, do my nails, shower, clean clothes, etc., and clean out my car if I am doing the driving
- Major effort: I may buy something new to wear on the date, get a haircut/hairstyle, do my nails, shower, clean clothes, etc., and clean out my car if I am doing the driving
- Maximum effort: I may buy something new to wear on the date, get a haircut/hairstyle, do my nails, shower, clean clothes, etc., wash and detail my car if I am doing the driving
Most Helpful Girls
Since I don't do many dates, only with guys I am already seriously interested in, I put a lot of effort into those few dates, I remember how I made a special hairstyle and put on pretty make up and actually bought some new clothes for the first few dates with my current boyfriend, I think the first impression matters a lot and if it is visible that put in effort, you will be taken more seriously too.
Significant effort; shower, curl my hair, clean clothes, a little makeup, some perfume, and clean out my car if I am doing the driving.
I have purchased new clothing for a few first dates but it's because I didn't date for almost a decade and I needed a few things.
Most Helpful Guys
You want to look, feel and be your best. There is no better time to make a first impression then a first date.
This goes for the short coffee dates too. Don't show up after a yoga class or when you just got done cleaning your car. Have some class!
My 4 rules as a guy
1) look presentable
2) don't get a boner
3) don't look at her chest
4) and be a gentleman
eh, I'm just keeping it real as a guy.