Online Dating - Do you prefer posed or natural pictures?

Inspired by @mistixs poll When it comes to your online dating profile picture, how much time do you typically put into looking good for the picture?

What sort of pictures are more likely to make you swipe right (other methods of picking people are available)?

Selfie and specficially posed profile pictures where time and effort has been specifically put into making a profile picture for you.

Relaxed where you are doing something else but decided to use it on your datingprofile. Examples include tourist pictures, posed sport pictures (recieving medals, team pictures), work promotional pictures. No specific effort has been made into making this a great profile picture, usual daily clothes/hair or dressed up for some other purpose.

Candid, you didn't even know this picture was taken. This could be actually doing a sporting activiy (running, cycling, playing a team game), cooking a meal, digging the garden, etc. No specific effort has been made into making this a great profile picture, at the time, you didn't even notice this being taken. You saw this and thought it represented you so used it on your profile.

My profile pic would probably be classed as Relaxed, solo. I was packing my car to move house and saw someone with a camera. I hadn't done any preparation for the picture and after loading/unloading my car a few times already I was a bit tired and worn down.
My GaG profile pic (and various dating sites)
The closest I get to specifically preparing for a picture, I was on the way to a job interview so was looking my best.

There is a selfie of me out there somewhere but I didn't put any effort into prepping or posing for that (plus it was more for the background than anything else).

This isn't about me, it is about what you prefer so no snidy comments please :)
  • Selfie (Specifically posed for profile picture)
  • Selfie with Snapchat filters
  • Professional shoot or specifically posed profile pic
    Vote C
  • Relaxed, solo (aware of camera, no specific preparation)
    Vote D
  • Relaxed, group (aware of camera, no specific preparation)
    Vote E
  • Candid solo (not aware of camera, likely occupied by other task e. g. sport, cooking)
    Vote F
  • Candid group (not aware of camera, likely occupied by other task e. g. sport, chatting)
    Vote G
11 d ago
My personal preference is relaxed, solo... holiday snaps, climbed a mountain pics, at a wedding, in a pub, that sort of thing. A bit of a pose but no extra effort above and beyond how you would normally spend your time.

118

Most Helpful Girl

• relaxed solo or selfie. When I was on dating websites, I wanted to see at least one picture of the person smiling and looking at the camera, but just smiling and looking elsewhere can be good too (depends).

Of the two pictures you posted, I like the bottom one best. There's nothing wrong necessarily with the top one, but it wouldn't make me swipe right (mainly because you look serious in it.)

• 11 d ago

Yeah, I'm a bit serious, I'll try to smile next time I have my photo taken, hopefully sometime this year :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Are those 2 pics above working for you on dating sites?

• 11 d ago

Nope

• 5 d ago

Yeah, I'm on a few dating sites. I've not looked at my OKCupid profile in ages, I preferred it years ago.

• 5 d ago

I was OkCupid, I think I saw your pictures. You should go on OkCupid, you might have women interested in you.