3 mo

Guys, I like this guy, but he's not ready for serious dating yet. Is it clingy if I want to stay friends and see what happens in the future?

+5Xper
There is this guy who I asked out (I didn't mention the word "date", so we just started to hang out first). We met up two times, taking walks and talking. We had a great time and a lot of fun and interesting conversations. The second time we met, he told me that he's not ready for a relationship or dating since he's still not over a past story with another girl who he can't forget yet. Meaning that our meetups are more going into a friendship like direction. He also told me that I'm great. It sounded very genuine like he really meant it, not just on a friend zone level. He's just not emotionally available right now and was really sorry.
He doesn't seem like someone who would lie about stuff like that, he was very honest with me.
I just listened to him and then told him that I'm sorry for him and I understand. I also told him that I'd still like to keep in touch since I like him as a person and had great conversations with him. He feels the same way about that. But I also stressed that I'm not going to push him into anything. After that talk, we just kept talking about something else and enjoyed the rest of our hangout.

He's going to study abroad for the next couple of months, so I won't be able to see him for a while. I really do like him and I wouldn't mind just keeping in touch and staying friends for the time being while also giving him space and the time he needs. I'd like to see what the future brings and maybe when he's emotionally available again, we'll see what happens? I know many of you will say "forget him, it's not worth it", but I don't want to give up that easily and I'd really like to see if we could work it out. If it doesn't, at least I tried. It would be cool if there's a time in the future where we both are available and could try it out, but if not, that's fine, too.
But what do you guys think? Would it make sense to not exactly wait for him, but to at least stick around for the time being?

By the way: We're both in our early twenties
2 mo
I asked him if he'd like to meet up one last time before he moves away and he agreed.
But when I suggested a day and time, he didn't say yes or no first. Then he texted me that he'd like to cuddle, but that this would be probably inappropriate in our current situation. I told him if he means by cuddling really nothing more than just cuddling, I don't have anything against it. And then he suddenly rowed back and suggested to meet up once he's back from his semester abroad.
What is going on here?
3