3 mo

Are these valid reasons for not getting into a relationship right now and just staying friends?

he's liked me for months but I was in a serious relationship. I went through a bad breakup (he cheated) and me and this guy got very close very fast and he helped me through the breakup. We both admitted our feelings and connection to each other and things moved fast because of this. However I am not where I want to be in terms of rebuilding myself post break-up (drinking a lot, being reckless etc.) and were both going through a lot of big changes- grad school, him possibly moving states for job etc. Because of these things we decided to stay close friends because if we started a relationship right now things would get messy. He said he didn't want to close the door on anything there were just a lot of reasons that would make starting a relationship right now a bad idea. We started off as good friends so that's how it feels like right now which I'm okay with. My question is, do these things sound like excuses or is everything pretty valid?
2
2