3 mo

Do/would you judge someone who is dating a person with DOWN SYNDROME or AUTISM?

I stared looking into Autism and Down Syndrome (which is a lot more complex than I thought) trying to brauden my knowledge on the subject and found it quite interesting. First of all I found out that I was completely wrong about it, I always thought Down Syndrome and Autism were basically the same thing, that it was that one kid in the class who drools, shits their pants and can never concentrate (I blame entertainment), but I was completely wrong. I watch people with these disabilities and saw that they actually have unique personalities, their competent and some have pretty prestigious lifestyles like being models, athletes, engineers and even scientists, and most of them are capable in doing what anyone else can, including being in a relationship, so I'm open to dating someone with Down Syndrome or Autism (as long as it's not too severe).But I also found that people tend to avoid dating people with Down Syndrome or Autism because it seemed "predatory". First of all, are there even people who date mentally disable people for predatory reasons? OF COURSE THERE ARE, and I think those type of people should consider drinking bleach. But what about people who'd dating a mentally disabled person for non predatory reasons? A person who truly loves and cares for their partner, and their partner just so happens to have Down syndrome, and doesn't really acknowledge that fact and just sees him/her as their SO.

I'm not trying to be a white knight and "demand" people to be more open to dating a mentally disabled, your entitled to have your own dating standards, but I do want to end the stigma of being "predatory". People with mental disabilities actually have genuine emotional and even sexual feelings and I'd hate for them to be cut off and ostracized from dating because of this stigma.
2
3