2 mo

How to deal with a boyfriend’s insensitive remarks about other women, esp when he won’t apologize?

I’m in a newly agreed upon monogamous relationship with a guy 11 years younger than me (51/40). Last week he introduced me to his friends, adding the label, “my girlfriend.” I’m that type of sexy, normally confident* older woman so many younger men pursue. Yesterday my confidence was rattled & it’s because of his comments & subsequent lack of accountability, and I’m now on the verge of ending things with him. Here’s what happened: after he asked me about my day, I sent him pics of me & girlfriends at a festival (he was out of town for the day). He immediately commented about 1 friend in particular. Not 1, but three (3) separate comments about her, specifically. He even asked her name. Then he added a ridiculous ❤️ emoji to 1 photo that she was prominent in. ( I also sent him 2 selfies. This entire time he made zero comments about me, his supposed girlfriend, nor did he compliment me.) This bothered & hurt me to the point that I asked my 3 friends if I was being insecure. They all were like, “wow, that’s really rude, insensitive, you’re his new girlfriend, etc” So when I called him on it, he repeatedly refused to apologize & instead told me I was overreacting & that my “theatrics aren’t cool.” This is a man who when we initially started dating liked to brag about his “playboy status” & how much other women loved him. So instead of getting together as planned last night, I told him he could resume his Playboy status & go about his merry insensitive way. Only then did he semi-apologize & then laid it on thick on how much he likes me. I told him to never ever comment about other women in my presence, unless I ask. I then told him I am taking a couple days “off” to reconsider our relationship. So my QU is multi-fold: am I overreacting? should this be a red flag? Should I cut my losses & run now, or give him the benefit of the doubt & just consider his comments as moronic as they appear?
Updates:
2 mo
I want to clarify that I meant “never comment about other women’s *looks* in my presence, unless I ask...
How to deal with a boyfriend’s insensitive remarks about other women, esp when he won’t apologize?
Add Opinion