2 mo

Is it alright for me to set boundaries with a guy?

We’ve been talking for a while and met up once (he’s from school) but the 2nd time we were gonna hang out he stood me up he said“I’m not ready to be in a relationship because of a recent ex who cheated. You mean a lot to me let’s just be friends.”I told him that he needs to earn my trust back and he said ok
The“just friends”phase was 3 days until we were back to talking day in and out. We have jobs and school that strain things because we go to different schools now.
The situation scares me since I don’t know if he’s still going to stick around when school gets here so I set some ground rules. I told him that I don’t want him to feel like he’s in a doghouse forever that I’m going to give rules. Him:ok. I said“school is starting and it’s gonna get harder for us. It’d be best to wait a quarter so in Jan. or Feb. if he still feels the same way about me then we can talk about being something more. For now let’s be friends.” He said “yeah it does get pretty strained since I have a job and hardly any free time.”
I agreed saying”If you don’t like it you don’t have to stick around. Him: I understand since that seems like i’m using you/wasting your time.
The main thing that worries me is that because we are still technically “just friends” does this make me seem too difficult? I mean like after he stood me up that day... i mean I get that he had issues going on that day but it made me feel like a piece of trash and that he doesn’t take me seriously. He apologizes for standing me up every time and said it was embarrassing for him but as I stated before he needs to earn my trust before I can let him back in again. I need him to prove I mean as much to him as he says I do which is why I set those boundaries because when it gets hard to see each other I need to know he will still be there for when I need him rather than run away.
I guess I’m just hoping that what I did was ok and not too harsh to push him away but enough for him to want to and hopefully prove himself to me.
1
1