9 d

How do you let someone know you're not interested, before they ask you out, without being rude or presumptive?

In this case, I'm referring to instances in which the guy is clearly interested, but hasn't asked the girl out yet, usually due to some sort of fear of rejection. I seem to have this problem all the time.

It's awkward, and I don't know how to respond to the very specific compliments that come out of nowhere. It's especially awkward when the guy is trying very hard to be impressive, and as much as I feel bad, I'm just not impressed. I also am not particularly fond of their inability to keep their hands away from me. (Not in a sexual way. It's not assault. It's just awkward and unwanted).

The way I see it, I have a few options. I don't really like any of them.

First, I could do nothing. Just continue being nice, smiling and nervously laughing in response to the awkward compliments, and trying to change the subject when it comes up. Then when he does ask me out, I turn him down, and I get accused of leading him on. Option one, I'm the bad guy.

Second, I could tell him upfront that I'm not interested. Then he gets defensive, and says that he was never interested in the first place. And then I'm accused of being egotistical and assuming that people are interested in me when all they did is give me a compliment, when really it's more like seven compliments in less than a minute, and an apparent inability to keep their hands away from my hair. Option two, I'm the bad guy.

Third, I could ghost him. Even I think that's rude. Option three, I'm the bad guy.

Fourth, I could try to subtly indicate that I'm not interested, through unnecessarily short responses to the awkward compliments, and direct rejection to the hair touching, and other touchiness. The result of this varies greatly depending on when the guy catches on. If he doesn't, we move right back to option one. If he does, we're back to option two. If he catches on after it's been a while, we end up somewhere between. Option four, I'm the bad guy.

I'm wondering how I can not be the bad guy. Thanks. :)
22
2