How and when should I tell him I have feelings for him?

Anonymous
So, I have been seeing this guy casually for 5 months. We are basically friends with benefits. I honestly did not like him personally because of a rude comment he made to me years ago which is why I thought I could just have sex and no feelings would get involved. Turns out, he is really sweet to me. If I tell him I had a problem he tells me I should have called him. I have never had anyone look at me the way he does. It’s so sweet and he smiles really big the whole time we’re together. The problem is, I ended a 13 year relationship a year and a half ago. After that, I reconnected with my first love and when I told him my feelings, he gave me the old not ready for a relationship he doesn’t want to hurt me talk and I felt very rejected. I want to tell this guy so bad that I really like him but I’m terrified of rejection. A mutual friend of ours said she called him a few weeks ago and told him if his only intentions with me are just sex to leave me alone because I really like him and he told he she made him blush but he hasn’t mentioned it to me.
How and when should I tell him I have feelings for him?
Add Opinion