Guys, Should I reach out after giving him space or let him go forever?

Singlemom339
I haven’t been in a relationship in awhile. Even dating here and there I haven’t had a connection with anyone. I met this guy on a dating app and we hit it off immediately. He’s amazing. We went on a few dates. But wanted to take things slow with deciding on a relationship because he just recently got out of a toxic relationship. I could tell he was over his ex but not the situation so I wasn’t pressuring him that I know of. We talked all day everyday and both of us were really happy with things, hoping they would work out, and liked each other. He told all his friends about me and even had me on a three way call with one where he mentioned hopefully I won’t “jump ship”. We did have sex early on and I feel like it scared him but he didn’t say that. He started contemplating whether he was over how his last relationship ended. Was he not good enough, did he do something wrong, etc. we talked it out and he said those feelings wouldn’t ruin what we had they just come back to him every now and then. He asked me to spend the night and I did. Everything was great. He didn’t seem distant. I went home that night and the next day all of a sudden things changed. At first he didn’t want to talk about it because he thought it was all in his head but I kind of poked at it and eventually he said he didn’t know when he would be ready for a relationship and it’s not fair for me to have to wait on someone who’s got issues. He says when he gets comfortable he shuts down and pushes people away. It’s not just about his ex but he has a lot of insecurities that make him scared to pursue things. I tried talking to him about and letting him know my feelings but he kept saying he doesn’t want to end things but thinks it’s what’s best for me to move on because he doesn’t know how long I’ll be waiting. I told him I’m not gonna wait for him but when he’s ready he can call me and we’ll see. But that I wish him the best. He said “ok…” did I do the right thing by walking away? Will he ever call?
5