Should I ask him to prom?

Anonymous
So my senior prom is coming up, the other day I went over to my friends house and told her I wasn't going to prom. She said that would be the biggest mistake not to go so she said she would try to find me a date. She ended up texting my best friend. I've known him since I was 7, he goes to a college 3 hours away, and we've always had a super flirty relationship, we even hooked up once. She basically asked him if he'd be down to go with me to prom, and he said I would literally love to go with her, he was asking when it was and was saying I would definitely go if she needed a date, he asked if it would be awkward and if I would even want to go with him and said he would go if I really needed a date, then he said he needed to text her when he could see straight and a week passed and no text so she texted him what's the deal. He asked when it was and my cousin told him an he never responded. I don't know what to do? If you were in his position would you ask your best friend since childhood to prom knowing she doesn't have a date? Or is that weird considering you aren't even in high school and it isn't coming directly from the girl? Should I ask him or does he even sound interested? What would I say
Should I ask him to prom?
Add Opinion