Welcome to the Twenties: College Myths

College. When I was younger I thought it was a whole new world to look forward to. Having freedom, getting the chance to focus on studies I'm actually interested in, partying, dating, drinking and just having a good time. Well, while some of those things are true, here are some myths about college as, after all, one of society's biggest jobs is to advertise higher education...

1. Your dorm will be your new comforting home. Unless you attend a top university, the dorms are nothing like how they advertise them online. They're probably DISGUSTING like my first-year dorm was. As a Japanese girl who grew up in a clean, well-cared-for tourist spot in Japan, moving into my college dorm was a nightmare. There were roaches (as well as other bugs that possibly haven't been discovered by entomologists yet), I had to give the room a full-on makeover, I dreaded taking a shower everyday, and the cafeteria seemed to have a repeated weekly menu. As a result I spent most of my time outside and far away from my room. After just one year, I couldn't do it anymore, and so I moved into my aunt and uncle's house.

2. You can study what you enjoy. I've changed my majors twice (which I have a point about later in my article), and my second one was vocal music because that's my number one passion. So I auditioned, passed, and started taking music classes. The first semester as a music major was fun and what I'd somewhat expected. But from the second semester I was introduced to various nightmares I hadn't been expecting. Among many problems I faced during my time in the music department, the biggest was that I was rarely doing any singing. I was required to do all this other "stuff" that wasn't going to help me grow as a singer - auditioning for the Voice would have gotten me further! Most of the time, I was sitting in my music classes learning things I am - till this day - sure I will never use in the future. I'm just complaining right now, but my point is, know that you won't be able to study the way you want or expect to. Just because you have the freedom to select a major doesn't mean you can learn about it in your own way. You learn about it in your school's way.

3. You will be completely free. "It's not like high school when teachers would check up on you," they said. Uh, MYTH. Some, while not all, professors are no different than teachers. There are professors who keep a close eye on every student and expect you to be punctual, responsible, and pretty much perfect. Quite a few professors I've had don't allow a single unexcused absence nor tardy. So, if, like me, you're not a morning person, it's probably not a good idea to be out late on a Sunday night (sucks, I know) or sign up for classes that are at 8 AM. Oh, and you'll probably be required to keep in close touch with someone called an advisor whom they expect you to make your best friend - if they're good at their job, they're very helpful.

4. It's just four years. Yeah, four years really isn't long. In fact, it may not be enough time to fulfill all your 1000 requirements, unless you're a super hardworking student who's willing to betray their social life. So you can decide: whether you'll live as a full-on "studyholic" and graduate in four years or, like me, take your time and balance your activities. Here's just one piece of advice: do not switch majors if you plan on graduating in four years. As I've mentioned, I've changed my major twice, and it may have been a big mistake. Unless you find that you really don't like your major to the point of wanting to run away, stick with it and push through. Unless you don't mind staying for more than four years.

5. College is where you'll find your future spouse. Yeah, maybe like one in five people do. I've lost count of how many dates I've been on since starting college, not because I've been on too many to count but because these dates have been so insignificant (no offense to those guys) that I don't remember most of them. Just because there are a lot a people on campus doesn't mean you'll find someone you'll click with. The guy I'm pursuing now is back in my home country, for god's sake. I wish I could have met him where I can see him everyday! One of my best girl friends just graduated without being in a single relationship throughout her college life, and I may be traveling the same route.

6. You'll find what you want to do with your life. HAHAHA. Sure. Actually, college is NOT the place to search for a passion, kids. When you enter college, you should know exactly what you're doing there and have a clear vision of your future in mind. If you don't, you are not ready for the ride and need to take a gap year to do a thorough search for your life. Like I mentioned before, exploring and changing majors will only slow down your progress. Also, how are you going to stay motivated in your classes if you don't know what you're doing there? So, know what you want to do - by the latest, the end of your first year. Think about it this way: declaring a major is opening new doors. If you do that too late, obviously it's going to take longer to reach your end: graduation.

Enough scaring now. Don't forget to also have fun with friends! Join some activities. Go dancing. Go have - SAFE - sex, whatever. There are lots of fun opportunities around you.

Welcome to the Twenties: College Myths

516

Most Helpful Guy

• 1.
    I have never heard that. I actually expected to be in a mediocre and livable apartment but I did not expect to end up in a shithole, which has previously been inhabitated by some students and the issues already start here: Cockroaches infestations, bedbugs dwell in the walls and another kind of bug, that I do not recognize but those bloodsuckers are dreadful to live with! No ventilation in the toilet-bathroom and mold grows on the roofs and walls in the toilet-bathroom, the sink was applied incorrect and leaked (had to call the janitor for it), the painting on the roof is dropping in pieces off to the floor, the lights in the kitchen burned out and I couldn't swap the lightbulb because the glas sphere containing it inside is FIXED on the freaking ceiling! All that because I'm a broke loser student.

2.
    Never heard that. This really depends. For me it was a hit-and-miss kind of thing. It is by 50% what I wanted and expected but the other 50% is what I did not expect and not want.

3.
    I never heard that. Well, I am more free for sure now but not really free. I am restricted by many things, that are outside of my control

4.
    I have heard this but for me it was 3 years in college (associate's degree) and now another 3 years in university for bachelor. My time is wasted irreversibly because look at number 3.

5.
    HAHAHA!!! I have never heard this but rest assured I'm a kissless 22 year old virgin, who never dated and I have hugged fewer times the opposite sex than quarter times my age. I truly don't know what's wrong or how most can get into relationships and I can't.
    Well, there is the cultural difference, which proves to be a complete relationship barrier, so we'll have that. I mean what can I do aside from working on relocating.

6.
    I never heard this. But this one carries some truth in it, so it's not a complete myth. For example I found, that I prefer to work in video productions, multimedia and arts. But my chosen profession is OK. It's much better than doing farm work or being a cashier. You try things and decide. You have missed the point in this one.

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly I've chosen the route of a trade school. While there turns out another student from my high school graduating class was also there. We were talking and she said she has tired college and after only two semesters, the debt was wayyyyy too much.
    We realized most of our peers going to a university had mommy and daddy paying. Meanwhile those of us paying for our education ourselves were mostly getting certificates rather than a 4 yr degree. And those who aren't doing trade school cab only afford community college.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 15

• I went to college for 6 years. Incredible waste of time as what I went originally for I changed my mind mid way through after curriculum made me disinterested. Now I have a decent paying job I enjoy that has nothing to do with anything I learned in college.

• For those spoiled millennials:

1. Your dorm is a place to sleep and do homework. It is not your dream home.

2. Your choice of major will determine whether you get that dream home, or whether your dorm room will be your memory of a palace. College is to prepare you for a career, not to be a four year long summer camp.

3. You are responsible for being where you need to be and doing what you need to do.

4. If you can't finish your bachelor's degree in four years, you are not working hard enough.

5. If you have chosen an appropriately difficult major to prepare you for a good paying career, you won't have time for a significant other.

6. If you don't know what you want to do, then don't even try.

• 7. YOU. GO. TO. COLLEGE. TO. GET. A. (Better) JOB. NOTHING. ELSE. MATTERS.

Yea i couldn't get shit done in the dorms, fucking athletes, ghetto trash that had no business being there, just human garbage up at all hours... and RA's didn't give a shit. So most of my time was spent in empty classrooms, and the library. Only to come home to roommates trying to bang some low self esteem having floozy. GLADLY paid double to get an apartment.

• I freakin hated my college experience. I went to an amazing university, but after I graduated I lost contact with all but 2 of my friends. My degree was a lie, my career isn't gonna start with the job I had hoped. I graduated with debt (who doesn't though?) and a degree that I would have been better off just finding a mentorship in.

• College is pointless unless you are completing a degree in something useful: comp sci (especially comp sci), some sciences, nursing, business...

source: I've been in college for 8 years now

• You forgot to mention that unless you study the right degree you'll likely be unemployed or working minum wage after graduation. College degrees are no longer worth what the onve were.

• And it keeps getting worse. Since I graduated, my school turned the dorm rooms that were doubles when I was there into triples. And the lounges we used to have on each floor are now quadruple rooms. I'm glad I went there when I did, instead of now.

• That's why i didn't went to college, biggest waste of time and money...

Only worth if you go to space engineering or doctor

• Thank you

• Good take

• Yeah

• The US is a next world for me.

• I doesn't went to college

• Yes we earn our own happiness. Nothing is guaranteed. But it shouldn't mean we can't try.

• I disagree with all of those points. maybe you have your own insecurities and reservations

• I went to a community college for 3 years before transferring to a university. So during that 3 years I decided on a major and took as many classes that I could in 3 years. When I started at the university I did live in a dorm for the first year. It was clean and no major bugs. The bathrooms were in the hallway as were the showers. So you did have some logistics to take a shower. I thought the dining hall was great! So anyway, not all experiences are bad. I made a lot of friends. There were marriages that came from the experience. Not a high percentage of students found spouses. I'd say 20% maybe.

• On the other hand, this was over 20 years ago. So things might be different.
      Personally I have mostly good memories from college. Some negative but if I didn't go to college I'd probably have more negative memories from when I was that age. Of course we are all individuals, and colleges are different.

• At my university it's about 60% women to 40% men exactly as you said. Haha not surprisingly the hook up culture here is strong. You only see relationships mostly among foreign exchange students who don't accept the hook up lifestyle as much

• @10dsw LOL When I was in college I had plenty of opportunities to "hook up" but I was still a bit shy. I get the impression a lot of women are hooking up with other women at the colleges now... LOL

What Girls Said 4

• This real as shit. College is not the place for love or passion, to be honest. Pretty accurate list to me. I'd add a point about being lonely/bored in college. No one talks about it, but you'll definitely get lonely at times. Maybe bc you'll miss your family or realize you are with a so-so crowd. I think most people have that moment where they are surrounded by people and feel incredibly alone in college, at least once

• Okay, but did you not at least occasionally have those moments BEFORE college, too?

• @redeyemindtricks Well seeing as I was sick and depressed in high school, I sure did. I'm reflecting on the fact that people don't tell you these things about college. They sell college as this place where you have a million friends and you're never bored - partially true. But I know plenty of people who had a hard time acclimating socially

• that's right :D

• True

• Haha. Hit the nail on the head.