After/when graduating high school, did you/are you going to do what people expect (ed) of you?

Sorry if I worded the question poorly. I'm in my last year of high school, and I have always done very well in school, but I have a passion to create. I grew up thinking that I would go to University, of course, but for what I was not sure. I just knew that I did well in my academics, and narrow things down later. Well, it's later, and I know everyone expects me to go into some highly academic field at a fancy, competitive school, but I found a 2 year program in a creative field at a local college that I got kind of excited about. That excitement quickly deteriorated whenever I told someone. The response was always, "oh", and nothing more.

I don't want to sound ungrateful. I know I sound like I have an ideal situation compared to others who struggle with grades. But this situation is very difficult for me. My family has always struggled with money, so it a good option in that way, but that is not why I chose it. I like to learn, but doing creative things makes me happier than I've ever felt.

I'm not asking for advice, I know there are always risks when it comes to post-secondary. I don't want to waste money going to a school, accumulating debt, and not being able to pay it off if I don't get a job. I know someone who this has happened to. I also don't want to waste money when I know I won't enjoy the job waiting for me at the end of it.

I just want to hear about other peoples' experiences with this. Like my question asks, did you do what people expected of you, whether they expected a positive or negative outcome, after you graduated high school? Or if you're still in high school, are you planning on doing what is expected of you?
1
2