Should corporal punishment be used to discipline children?

And what environment would it work best in?

• Yes
  • No
Select a gender to cast your vote:

819

Most Helpful Girl

• I am not going to say I don't understand why a parent might swat a small child, but I was a pre-school teacher and Sunday school teacher and I had to find methods of discipline that did not involve corporal punishment, so I think parents can too.

All the studies show that it breeds violence and mistrust in individuals. It certainly isn't necessary, ever. Though I don't think it's the worst thing on Earth if it happens once in a while, parents should not look for ways to justify it, but rather to avoid it. Here are some articles on it, one from American Psychological Association, one from The National Institutes of Health, and another from menengage. org

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/spanking.aspx
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3447048/
    menengage.org/.../...iveDiscipline_Factsheet_4.pdf

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, but it has to be carefully administered by HIGHLY-TRAINED professionals who understand how to cause pain, but not injury. There are many techniques like this that can be used to imbue children with superhuman levels of toughness and discipline and focus that will only give them that much of an edge over all their peers.

You know what they do in Scandinavian countries? They leave their newborn babies outside to freeze all night. That's right, look it up. You know why they do that? Because it works.
    https://www.BBC.com/news/magazine-21537988

www.npr.org/.../global-parenting-habits-that-havent-caught-on-in-the-u-s

qz.com/.../

Those kids live in the coldest part of the world, but they're all fine, because they acclimate as babies and they're never pussies again. That doesn't just work with cold, it's all suffering in general. And life IS suffering, anything worth having is bought with PAIN and ANGUISH and SACRIFICE, sometimes for years, or decades!

Do you really want weak, stupid, cowardly children? Who grow up into adults that need "help" to do every little thing? Do you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yu_AB_EF5o

What Girls Said 7

• I don't plan on beating my children. They will be talked to like the human beings that they are. Even till this day when my parents take time to talk to me and understand where I am coming from, and why I did what I did, it has a far more effective outcome than putting your hands on your children.

You're their parents, your job is to make them feel loved and protected. Not fearful of you. If respect really means that much to you that you're willing to push your child away, then I feel bad for both you and the child.

My kids will feel loved.

• Hmm, I don't support it because research suggests it doesn't help. I wasn't spanked, and I don't want to spank my children. When they're small, what is hitting them even going to do-they have potatoes for brains. Once they can start to understand things, I want them to not associate discipline or problem solving with violence.

• No.
    Childten act out for a reason.
    Understand their mind and help, teach them.
    If corporate punishment is require, ask the adult, why he ir she is unable to use reason with a child. Perhaps the adult needs some parenting skills.

• Yes, it should but only when needed and not for every little mistake. When I was young my mother would slap and spank me everyday for the most little things, it's stupid. But for a big betise yes it should be used.

• No and this already goes on in secular societies.

This is an archaic way of dealing with parenting problems. Instead of accepting fault and learning to be a better parent, your pride is scooted along with these methods. I notice that parents who genuinely love their kids and want to have them end up with great kids. People who have kids and suck at parenting, see them as obligations and annoyances which all end up badly are not people who should be having kids.

I don't care for the arguments about who turned out okay after having a rough childhood because that is the exception not the rule. There has been so much research about how an environment literally breeds awful people, corruption, serial killers and criminals. 2 wrongs don't make a right, if "no" isn't getting you anywhere then it could be your communication skills and how you lay out boundaries. I think you should talk to someone who can give out professional, sensible advice then say crazy shit like this.

• nope

• depends on the situation. most parents still threaten or hit their kids occasionally anyways, doesn't really matter. if you're seriously hurting the child then there's a problem, but some intimidation seems find to me

What Guys Said 18

• Well, corporal punishment is used a heck of a lot less than it used to be. While at the same time kids (and many adults) are a heck of a lot less disciplined than they used to be.

• I just know that it didn't work at all with me. It even backfired and made me more violent towards others. I need to keep in mind that not everyone responds to things the way I did. I was a violent and unpredictable child. I couldn't be taught in the same environment as other kids without any expectations of violence. Of course I was punished for this quite violently which I in turn took out on others. I think parents need to be careful with what kind of child they have. If a child has a strong will then they will just keep escalating when you do. This was me growing up. I didn't care what happened to me as long as I got the last fist in. I wouldn't let anyone else assume control. It took me many years of experience to realize I was only hurting myself.

Different methods work on different people.

• A small slap won't kill them. It should be used privately, at home but it shouldn't be used without explaining first the reason. I've taken a few slaps when I was a child to learn to behave in certain situations and not to do stupid stuff. I didn't get traumatized and they actually helped me. After 5 minutes they didn't even hurt anymore. What we can't do is spanking children, this is wrong.

• It has to be used on the very young because they have almost no logical or communication capability. So, to protect them, the most effective form of psychological conditioning to prevent unwanted behavior is through negative reinforcement by a pain stimulus.

Once 2-way communication with kids is possible, corporal punishment is not needed.

• ABSOLUTELY. We have pussified our children. Hell, everyone gets a participation trophy now. Not the way the jungle intended it to be.

• No , it's admitting the parent who uses violence isn't competent to educate children.
    The only thing kids really learn from that is that dad thinks violence is a good way to solve problems.

• No, for the most part it shouldn't be used. Unless they are like 3 years old and you spanking them prevents them from getting ran over by a car. Other than those situations where a child is too young to be reasoned with, and it prevents severe physical pain or death, then no, absolutely not. Corporal punishment is only used by shit parents who are cowards.

• If a child is to young to be reasoned with, then they aren't going to know the reason they are being spanked. If they can understand the reason they are being spanked, then they can be reasoned with.

• Then if they are to young to understand either, then why not just yell to scare them? We are born with a fear of loud noises, so why not just yell?

Surely it is the responsibility of the parent to ensure that the child is not placed in situations of extreme physical danger ni the first place. That is the very purpose of parents – to keep their children out of harm’s way until the children have enough experience to keep themselves out of harm’s way. To spank a child who is about to wander out into traffic is to punish the child for the parent’s failure. This is obviously unjust.

As a corollary to this, there isn’t a clear situation in which spanking a child is necessary to keep him out of harm’s way but in which simply grabbing the child out of the way won’t keep the child from harm.

• Because sometimes yelling doesn't work.

• Yes. At home.

• Not saying that it can't work but it also have a fairly good chance to create many issues that can be both hard to detect and extremely hard to correct. Its far better if you can find another way to discipline your children.

• Yes - but too much is bad.

I was spanked by slippers, belt and some wooden stick. I grew up ok.
    I have seen people with rough childhood and grew up to become one of the scum of the society.

• 0|0
  • Some kids just need they ass beat 😂

• It is being used to discipline children. Exclusive rights to parents, though.

• a friend's ex only yelled at their daughter who fell into drugs. she even fucked with her own kids. threaten first. then prove you weren't talking shit

• It was like that until 2012 a child would get tried as an adult.

• Corporal Punishment doesn't even work on adults. What makes you think it'll work on children?

• No, it's abuse and has no measurable effect on behaviour.

• No. They will think that its okay to use violence as long as you are in charge. They will get more chance of getting in trouble with the law later in life.