Anyone from Luxembourg here? Do you need to know German, Luxembourgian and/or French to work there or is English enough?

• You probably won't get a job in Luxembourg if you don't know ALL of those languages!
  • You probably won't get a job in Luxembourg if you don't know AT LEAST ONE of those languages!
  • You'll have a hard time finding work, but it's not impossible...
    Vote C
  • You'll be fine.
    Vote D

22

Most Helpful Girl

• I know the place :p and English is rare. Everyone lowkey speaks it but it's not an official working language unless you're an English teacher or set up your own business, and even with that it will be difficult to maneuver yourself around the place. Best would be to know French or then German, Luxembourgish is only spoken by locals.

What Guys Said 2

• Why Luxembourg?
    Generally speaking, yes, you would need to know one of those languages, not just to get a job, but to have any kind of social life as well.
    There are exceptions though, including:
    * TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language),
    * Workaway/WWOOF/HelpX (mainly voluntary work in exchange for food and accommodation; tends to be agricultural / labouring / childcare / cooking / household help),
    * Work in a backpackers hostel, or for a British run tour operator.

Obviously your options are a little more limited in Luxembourg, with it being such a small country, and one that isn't (as far as I'm aware) a huge tourist destination.

• Not from there, but it's pretty much a given that you need to be at least somewhat familiar with a region's language if you are planning to move/travel there.

What Girls Said 1

• I just saw a Finnish guy on tv saying he moved to Luxembourg on a whim to learn English, but learned very quickly that they didn't speak English at all. But he said he still worked at a grocery store and people kept speaking French to him, which he didn't understand at all, while he kept speaking English, which they didn't understand at all. 😂 So eventually he had to use sign language. But what I'm trying to say is that he still got a job there.