Do you think digital version of school books is a good idea?

That means everything that's written in the school books including pictures are on websites pupils can visit instead of using traditional books. They can use Ipads, smart phones, computers etc.
#School #DigitalBooks

• Yes (Explain why, please)
  • No (Explain why, please)
  • Other (Explain what and why)
    Vote C

1517

What Girls Said 15

• that's how med school is now. all my texts are pdfs essentially. it's annoying. but easier than carrying 93482309 texts around with me

• When i was in college all my core class textbooks were pdf. It was a lot better than having to shell out 300 for a bio text. Not to mention its defo easier to carry around.

• No. NO and NO. I get really tired by using the computer at school, it is really hurting your eyes and you don't focus as you do on BOOKS

• I have 0 opinion on this tbh. In my school, last year they tried out a "computer room"; it included give screens (we could do projects on each one on rotation), and we were given chromebooks. I say, it was pretty good, enough that the faculty made ANOTHER room like it. But personally, I like hands on learning.

• I like the digital books more, because first we can read it anywhere, second we save the planet why because real book made from woods pulp right? Third, we reduce amounts of chemical waste and we save tint.
    Besides all of that we also needs to write down notes and i agree that digital books made damages to our eyes.
    But i choose digital books cause its more simple.

• 4d

"I like the digital books more, because first we can read it anywhere,"
      That doesn't make sense. You can read a physical book anywhere, but in order to read an electronic book, you have to have power.

"real book made from woods pulp right"
      Trees grow back, and when they do, they take CO2 out of the air.

• 3d

@WalterRadio in my city we have plenty places to charge our phone freely 😅 dunno if yours dont have that.
      And it's not that i dont like real book, i like it. I have plenty textbooks and i like to read it when im home. But not when im outside my home. I like to keep it simple when im out home, i rarely bring bag with me just my phone and my notepad. So digital book is really help me study.
      As the fd and cassettes you can't read, sorry about that, maybe you could save it online? So you can download it later?
      And yeah i dont live in those places. But that's what i felt, since you know it better :) peace 😅

• 3d

"in my city we have plenty places to charge our phone freely"
      I have a cabin in the woods, a mile from any electrical line. If it doesn't run on wood, it doesn't run.

• both have pros and cons
    the best part is that they won't carry lots of books everyday
    the bad parts is some of us prefer real books

• No. That damages the eyes so much

• Books and notebooks and pencils and pens are more effective if you want to learn. That is the only reason I voted no.

• 5d

Do you know why it's more effective?

• 5d

As far as I know, writing helps in better neuron connections than typing. Also, screens are bad for eyesight books are the safest.

• 3d

You need to write down too what you learn from digital book anyway.

• I think it's good, like this we can't damaged it.

• I believe reading a text book is better, it is less strenuous on the eyes.

• yes that is more environmental positive

• Bad idea but nowadays those are easy reach

• Yes since the book is available anywhere with a screen and do not have to worry about hauling it around. You can print out some pages if needed.

• But then how will I get away with forgetting to read it if not "I couldn't find my book my younger sibling hid it in there room and I didn't even know till this morning where it had went" ?

• Well yeah and then everyone forgets how to write. Super cool. (kidding)

What Guys Said 17

• As a legally blind person, I think that is a very interesting approach, which is not only more modern and more environmental but also makes the playing field more even for students with disabilities. When I went to school 10 years ago, we had NOTHING electronic. The electronic equipment of our school was complete rubbish. Everything functioned manually. Luckily, back then, my vision used to be better But still, my teachers had to copy every single handout onto A3-format (double size). All my textbooks had to be ordered from a special place which enlarged the individual pages and put them in a big folder. I had a long way to school and every single day, I was carrying up to 10kg (20 pounds) of class material in my backpack. The whole thing was very exhausting.

Nowadays, my vision is so bad that I can't write by hand anymore and I can't read printed papers, even if they're enlarged. I am extremely glad that my University provides all important things as electronic files, be it research articles, lecture slides, handouts or even just a syllabus. This way I can use my zoom program on my computer and I can let the computer read longer texts to me, so I can go through them auditively. I have no idea what I would have done if my vision had already been so bad back when I was a teenager. I assume I couldn't have gone through normal, public school.
    So I think this is a great idea. Pedagogically speaking, it might not make sense to use it in all areas of learning but it should definitely exist as a resource to be used. Not solely but also for the dismantling of barriers for handicapped students.

• Heck yes because:
    1) Saves a LOT of money (believe me, college students)
    2) Saves a lot of paper
    3) Made an error writing on your eBook? IT'S COOL! Just erase it without having eraser marks on there
    4) 0 weight for the eBook, I don't know how many pounds your laptop/ipad/phone/whatever is
    5) Less bulky
    6) You can bookmark pages instead of just ripping them
    7) Need to read in the dark? It's cool, you got your screen's brightness and don't need to leave your room or grab a lamp
    8) Lost your phone that had the eBook? As long as you have it saved in your cloud or provider account then you're good. Just go look for your phone because of that 2gigs of hentai

Now you can say that a major con is having your device ruined by water, who the fuck is that stupid to spill a drink on your device

• i think books themselfes are outdated. we should stop using them alltogether. apps and video lessons are the future. however if there´s a specific need for a book, it should be available digitally. but then i don´t know how those who write those books could make a living.

• nope its not,
    books are something we spend lot of time with! and turning it into technological unit, just doesn't seems right, developing digital copy is good, saving digital copy is good too..

although turning to digital school books will mean a lot of savings of Paper and trees..

• 5d

How is making books digital not right?

• 5d

you maybe right and it seems beneficial,
      but the combination of Parchment and stains of ink have been our first weapon and tools which helped us communicate across the distance of time, and through time lines! they changed the way of human world, they made many of us immortals..

• It is an awful idea. I have helped high school kids who only have books online, and they are so lost.

If you are reading a novel, then it doesn't make much difference whether it is electronic or physical. You go through it once and in sequence.

But textbooks require going back and forth and skipping around. You can't do that efficiently with electronic anything. You also can't easily make notes in it. If I have a contract or something like that, I always print it out for those reasons.

• Both eg my pdhpe and pass books id rather have physical copy's of them because all our work is them our ist one id rather have digital

• nah, books are adequate, kids will likely abuse the technology and dick around on it, not to mention the malfunctions

• No, kids are on their phones enough as it is. They should stick with paper textbooks because too much eye strain causes tiredness.

• Control F and u can find any word or phrase ur looking for in the whole book unless they block that feature

• Use of electronics should be optional in an education setting. Most academic principals can be taught without them with equal outcome.

• Why not?

• Viruses and porn

• No, they will be broke half the time

• With the passage of change everything required modification, instead of using traditional mode of book digital version of school book is a good idea. in other words it's easy to handle, economic, and reduces deforestation.

• Other because only in some classes it whould be sorta-useful

• No, will run out of power. .

• I have a harder time getting around to actually read all the ebooks I have, so for motivation: no.