Is learning a new language difficult?

1722

What Guys Said 22

• That's a pretty tough question as languages are very different regarding their difficulty level. They rate languages with difficulties of 1 through 5. You've got to consider grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation as well as other little things unique to each language. Spanish is considered a level 1 which is supposedly in Easy language to learn. German is in the middle at level 3. English, the most awesomest language ever is a level 5. Supposedly very, very difficult to learn. English has no rules. Or it has a few rules but they only apply 10% of the time as 90% of the time the rules don't apply. And I'm talking grammar, spelling, pronunciation, you name it. English has a couple of consonants that aren't in other languages which some people struggle with. The classic example is the th sound. The French simply cannot make the sound. So that pronounce it with a z. Like if you ever go to Paris you must see zee Eiffel Tower. I speak German in addition to English so I can tell you that the Germans also struggle with the th sound. The only thing English has that's easy is the fact that there aren't genders assigned to nouns. I believe most of the romance languages have male and female nouns. And German is especially cool with male female and neuter. And of course these genders sometimes but rarely follow any Rhyme or Reason. A man is masculine obviously a woman is feminine and a car is neuter. A boy is masculine. But for some reason a girl is neuter. I am not a native German speaker but I can speak German well enough that a native German cannot identify me as an American or as not being German. I spent 6 Years Learning the language. The first three years concentrated on grammar and vocabulary and the second three years focused on vocabulary and pronunciation. My German Professor was Hardcore when it came to pronunciation. She made us learn those little consonants that exist in the German language that don't exist in English. She is from Hamburg and as such I have a Hamburg accent. It turns out that many Germans feel that people from Hamburg are snobs so when I speak German their first impression of me is that I'm snooty.

• 6d

So I hope that gives you some perspective. You might want to avoid the other two level five languages which are Japanese and Icelandic. Some language teachers are better than so that can make a difference. It also really helps to know somebody who speaks the language fluently so that you can properly learn pronunciation. I actually invested the time and effort to master a foreign language and it took 6 years and the result is that I'm a snob but I think to the Germans that's better than being an American. :-)

• 6d

In fact when I tell them I'm not actually German, and that I'm an American they can hardly believe it. Americans aren't exactly perceived as the most educated people in the world.

• 5d

It sounds to me that your knowledge is limited.

Ever try to learn Thai, Tamil, or Tibetan?

And Spanish is not easy compared to Indonesian or Korean.

English is difficult, not because it has no rules, but because it is such a conflagration of purer languages. I think Russian grammar is harder than English grammar. It has 9 different words for the single English word, "you".

• In general, yes it is, especially to learn it really well. One of the problems we face as adults is that we usually don't have as much time as we like to dedicate to it. I spent a couple of years on Arabic a decade ago, but found I just didn't have time after work to regularly study (and Arabic takes a lot more time to learn than, say, French).
    I usually do well on the grammar side, but pronunciation is my Achilles heel (it's with pronunciation that small children really have an advantage at learning a second or third language at a young age).
    Motivation also plays a large part- if you have, for example, a promotion riding on it, you may be more likely to put the required time in to learn.

• It can be easy If you have been raised speaking other languages at home. For monolingual people it can be hard learning a new language past 16 or so.

Learning a language isn't difficult as long as you pick the right one to begin with, many people start with Spanish.

• It depends on your native language and what language you are trying to learn. It also depends on your age, as once you get over 14, your ability to learn a language drops.

The easiest language in the world to learn is Indonesian.

• 4d

no its not. its Spanish

• 4d

@Kat_puppies
      "when they were teaching it"
      You have never heard of Indonesia, have you? It is the 4th most populous country in the world.

• 4d

tbh i didn't care for it

• Which language?

• Assembler can be difficult if you've never done it.
    LISP is insane; don't bother.
    FORTRAN sucks too; especially after learning BASIC.

• 4d

I love Fortran. I have a compiler safely stored in case I have to restart the modern world. it is much easier than C++.

But I have heard that LISP is hard.

• I failed Spanishso yea it is

• You can learn easily any language if you learn the basic and pratice, watching movies, people talking and readding

• If you are not that interested yes, but easy enough as long to learn the basics in a few months... unless is japanese korean or chinese or the like... those take years

• 5d

Korean isn't as hard as it looks. Those "characters" are not characters, it is an alphabet. Once you figure that out, it becomes a lot easier.

Spoken Cantonese isn't all that hard either, it is only when you try to read and write that it becomes a challenge.

• Depends on laguage and effort you would be amazed how the human brain can quickly adapt to other languages.

• Depends on the language really. Some languages are fairly easy to learn like Spanish but others are much more difficult like German or Russian

• Yes..

• Yes sort of specially German and African native language

• 6d

I've always wondered why people consider German to be difficult to learn. It's actually very similar to English so the grammar and basic vocabulary Come Easy.

• Yes, because my tongue gets tied up when I'm learning my 8th language.

• Yes..

• It is.

• For me yes

• not at all... if you enjoy learning then no difficult to learn...

• Yes, how much time are you willing to practice on that language?

• Yes it's very hard and gets much much harder the older you are and psychology is the reason

• hard as fuck

• No... it just depends on your interest

What Girls Said 17

• Depends on if it's in the same language family as the one you speak. For example, it would be a lot easier to learn French if you speak English, then it is to learn something like Japanese. As Japanese has a completly different sentence structure and alphabet. (Techinally, it has two. Not sure if you count Kanji though?) Someone who speaks Portuguese would be able to learn Spanish quickly too, as they are really simlar, most people that can speak one of them could understand someone who speaks the other.

• for some people yes, it's an ability to learn a language easily. beside that it depends on the language you choose. some is easier other is harder.

• It depends on the language and the person. I know Spanish pretty well, and if i decide to, I can pick up nearly any language. French is the one I've never really been able to learn, the most difficult it for me personally. I'll learn it soon though.

I speak Spanish, I'm learning German, Italian, and I'm going to learn Malayalam because i work with a client who is Malayalam and there's a language barrier that can be difficult to understand sometimes.

• 5d

Wow, amazing :)

• 4d

"Malayalam"
      Good luck with that. I asked someone to teach me some Tamil one time, and I so utterly failed that I call it one of the "Impossible languages" [to learn].

• 4d

Lol I couldn't pronounce the name of the language even, but we'll see xD.

Tamil, I've never tried learning yet. It sounds difficult lol

• Yeah. The older you get, the more difficult it is to learn a new language. It's the easiest to learn a new language when you start as a kid.

• im learning french its not that hard tbh

• Depends on the language and person.

• Yes. The difficulty increases as the language is less related with your native language.

• some are more difficult than others

• Yess... It is but it gets better over time

• Its not easy. How difficult you will find it depends on your skills and will for you to learn that language. The time that will take you its balanced with the time you spend on studying it and how much you practice. Anyways, learning languages is such a great thing to do!

• Not unless you put your whole heart and dedication into it.

• Yeah

• Yes it's very hard

• yesssss

• Yes very hard , I suggest doulingo and Rosetta Stone

• Yes it can

• English Is not words but the rules behind it but English isn’t my first language.