I am really unhappy at my job. How should I approach this with my manager?

I work in retail and when I started at my job, I was given training and became really confident at what I was doing. I was easily managing things and I was outgoing and friendly and chatting to customers. But just recently, out of no where, my manager assigned me to work downstairs all the time, so I never get to work with customers anymore. When I am on the shop floor and a customer approaches me to ask something, my manager glares at me with a scowl as if she’s eaten a lemon and watches me all the time. Then she says to me at the end of my shift ‘I don’t like you working with customers because you don’t have the selling technique that everyone else has, and this is a business’

so I am now constantly assigned to work downstairs on my own unpacking boxes whilst all the other workers are at the top and it is really affecting my confidence. When I am allowed on the shop floor, I act confident and smile and approach customers and I feel like I am doing a good job, yet my manager watches me all the time so it makes me feel nervous and then usually tells me to go back downstairs.

i have tried talking to her about it and she has told me that she thinks it is best for me. I just want to talk to customers though because when I signed up for the job, that is what I thought I would be doing.

how should I approach this situation?

715

What Guys Said 15

• Is there another manager you can talk to? And what do your coworkers think. Do you actually throw in some up sale phrases/lines at customers in and out of conversations? There are too many holes to really judge the situation.

If you want to keep the job then you'll have to understand how the company works and get to know as many people as you can so you can get as much information as possible. People gossip, and it becomes useful information.

Or you can just quit and find a different or better job. I recommend this because it's easier and people are always hiring retail. But the season just started and is almost over so... Good luck. Once it's passed the Christmas sales or the new years sales they do a firing.

However if you really want to experience how to maneuver around the company and defend yourself then this is the opportunity to try and find out how far you can go.

• Sone selling techniques for some tips:
    Never approach a customer asking yes/no/closed questions. That includes.. can I help you? Isn't it such a nice day? Ask them what they think about the item they have in their hands.

You want to have your customer be able to respond. So noticing how many bags they have you can maybe use a quip to get them to laugh or open up.

Suggest additional items that might go along (belts with pants, cables & chargers for phones, ink for printers), place the items in their hand, offer them a chance to try on clothing. Offer to help hold onto some items for them.

• Perhaps ask her to help you develop that "selling technique"? It shows that you want to improve and work with her. If she won't or suggest anything else, then it's a tough call. I know how some managers can be.

• She needs to give a constructive, full explanation and retrain you.
    Right now, she thinks you're not fit for customer contact for whatever reason.
    If it's personal dislike (it does happen) or if she does not want to resolve this issue properly, find another job that will invest in you and train you.

• Leave, I was in a similar position when I was 19, and the store manager always complained about my work (even though I was the best) it was just because she didn't like me, so I found another job and gave her my notice the next week.
    I think maybe your manager just doesn't like you, and trust me you don't wanna stay there.

• Talking isn't selling sweetie, ask for sales skills development. You don't get. paid to chatty, you get. paid to sell...

• Apply somewhere else i know yiu wanna work with customers and there are a ton of other jobs tgat will let you do that without tge dick head boss and in some case let you do it yiur way

• Get a new job.

• Search for a new job, sounds like she is jealous

• Work less and he will approach you

• Get a different job. There are hundreds of sales jobs out there. Heck, be a waiter at a restaurant. Better money and you'll have tons of chatting with customers. :)

• Nah you poor with sales, that why you working in the basement.

• You already have the correct words. Tell your manager what you just posted. Not all of it but maybe the first paragraph

• apply somewhere else and wait till you get hired and put in a 2 week notice

• Your solutions are as follows:

1) Change the situation.
    2) Leave the situation.
    3) Surrender to the situation.

Some people enjoy watching others suffer, so your resistance to being downstairs that causes you to feel bad, may fuel your managers reason for keeping you there. If you aren't going to leave, then your best option is to surrender to it, and embrace it.

What Girls Said 7

• You could enjoy talking to customers, but have a poor selling technique. If you are particularly chatty with customers about how their day is etc and talking about other things than the products that can be seen as poor selling technique. I had a boss tell me that years ago. If you are wanting to work with customers maybe try something else like being a cashier somewhere.

• Ask her what specifically she thought you were doing wrong. Ask for how you coul improve, and ask for another shot. If she isn't helpful or open minded, then she's unreasonable and not going to change her mind, at which point you have to decide whether its worth staying with the business.

• It sounds like she hates you. Take your resume and find a new job.

• Maybe its time to switch to another job where you can get to do what you want. You could also wait it out with your manager and maybe she will be transferred depending on how often your place changes management.

• Quit. Get out. Right now. Lol

• You should probably get a different job. She probably is thinking something silly that you talk a little too much to the customers and that is why she put you downstairs but you didn't ask to work downstairs when you applied.

• she obviously dislikes you, quit and find compatible boss and job