Why are people so rude to retail employees?

I’m a cashier and today an old man came for a lot of stuff and at the end he had a bottle of wine, and when I asked for his ID (which is our policy, we can get fired, fined and never get hired in a place that sells alcohol again) and he ignored me at first, when I asked again he asked if I was serious, I tell him that it’s our policy and I can get fired he literally says “you should be fired for stupidity”
Honestly, was that fucking needed. It got me so mad tbh.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• they can't run their mouth at home to their wife, or to their spoil, disrespectful children. So they take it out on you because you have to be nice to them. They do it to you because you are the only person that if they vent on, nothing bad will come back to them.

Secondly, he isn't mad at you but at the stupid rules, because back when he was younger they never had half of the rules that they have now. But every year they make life a little more harder by add more rules. More rules that stop you from doing things simple like you could in the past. So we are all punish for the actions of the few.

0|0
    0|0
    • Ironically. His wife got mad at him for what he said.

Most Helpful Girl

• Most places only card if the customer looks under thirty.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 25

• I'm sorry that this happened to you. The simple answer is that many people feel that retail employees are there to SERVE them, so they can treat them like SERVANTS. They don't feel the need to show them the common courtesy or respect they would show to a "regular person," as in, a fellow customer or someone on the street. Or maybe they are nasty people and would do the same to a fellow customer, and you just see so many people that by sheer chance you will end up seeing these jerks eventually.

Maybe you can't retaliate against such a-holes, but you don't have to accept it either. You are in a position of power. If they want to purchase their item, they have to follow YOUR rules. You can just stare at them, finally saying, "Well, what's it going to be? Do you want to buy it or not?" Or maybe a more officially polite, "So, sir, do you still wish to purchase that bottle of wine?" "YES, of course I do, how stupid are you?" "Well, as I said before, I will need to see your ID then." *blank stare*

Thank you for shopping at Target!! *super big fake cheesy smile and a wave* ha ha

0|0
    0|0
  • Some people are just buttholes. Also, sting officers are permitted to say and do messed up stuff to get you to acquiesce, as long as they don't touch you or damage store property. You did the right thing. Keep it up and remember that karma can be a real mofo.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because they never worked in retail.
    Also, most people are unsatisfied with their life, powerless. And retail workers can't fight back, so they shout, are rude, or act like Captain OwnEverything.
    Interestingly, when most people lash against retail workers, they really just want to get frustration with their bad lives out of the system and feel in charge.
    ... and them, sometimes, there are really bad retail workers 😁

0|0
    0|0
  • I understand why that happened from both your sides, he didn't have to say that if he actually knew that it was a policy, but the policy is stupid tbh. I know the capabilities of teenagers and the magic of impersonation but that the way the old man took it "do I look like an underage to you!"

0|0
    0|0
    • They should put a sign to make things less awkward and hard for you guys

• To look from other point of view, my friend (he's around 38) was pissed cuz he was carded and he didn't have it on him. He doesn't at all looks under 21 and I agreed with him. If someone without doubt looks like he surely can't be underage, one can be lenient rather than enforce some stupid rules

0|0
    0|0
    • He's around 38. I don't know where that emoji came from

• It’s a policy from corporate that we can do nothing about. Some people got fired for being lenient. I admit it can be inconvenient and idiotic at times. But it’s not worth getting in trouble for.

• I understand. It's something to think about when someone is mad. You'd know why

• Some people are just jerks, and cashiers are easy people to take our the frustration on. In reality, you see a lot of jerks other places as well, but especially with cashiers.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they are assholes.. They think they are giving you earning by spending money on stuffs they buy from your store. You can't help it unless your boss wants to help you. So punch him first in his face.

0|0
    0|0
  • If some wrinkly old bastard comes in to buy alcohol you probably don't need to bother asking him for his ID. He's obviously not younger than 21.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because there are seemingly no consequences for insulting retail employees. It's not great :/ sorry you had to deal with that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I work retail until management for years and never had that problem if someone was starting 2 get angry I could always diffuse the situation before it started because I can read read their body language

0|0
    0|0
    • He just didn’t want to show me his ID which is a must. There’s no situation but him being rude and uncooperative.

• It's not really a must it says it's the law that they can't enforce that legal drinking age of 21 that's all they can force I don't have to show my ID to anybody except for a police officer

• Maybe it's cuz he's watching give me no pussy this morning that it was angry so you went off on you you know something that you don't know about what's what's making you angry all day

• People should try to remember the person on the checkout or on the customer services telephone line don't make up these rules, they're just trying to make a living.

0|0
    0|0
  • Understand that I respect all my cashiers. Young too old. Always willing to strike up a conversation from the typical " how are You? " where I say the truth. Pretty bad.

0|0
    0|0
  • when you're in a position where you can't defend yourself or talk back, that's when the assholes come in and take advantage

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes you was just doing your job and that's shame he acted the way he did but some shoppers have no care how they treat employees yes it's wrong.

0|0
    0|0
  • We live in a "me first" society that places a premium on immediacy. The slightest inconveniences piss people off because of that.

0|1
    0|0
  • In customer service, I was called stupid, too. It happens because it is part of the job/function. Shake it off and proceed. It was not really personal

0|0
    0|0
  • Whites seem has bad habit about it
    They throw clothes to the ground after taking it to see a bit

0|0
    0|0
  • Sweetie i worked retail for almost 10 years that is not bad but if you want tips pm i got some wisdom for ya

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it's kind an unspoken rule that if the customer looks over 30 you don't ask. Just one of the reasons I don't like working at liquor stores.

0|0
    0|0
    • It’s Target. They already shit enough on the employees without breaking the rules. I don’t see the point. Some old people understand that and some like to make a big deal out of it.

• You just need a little sign to point at so they know they are stupid for whining lol 😂

• People are scum and know that cashiers have to absolutely kiss their ass no matter what.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 3

• Wow people are dumb, he's just an older dude that felt entitled but either way you just do your job and keep it together

0|0
    0|0
  • Does your corporation seriously ask of you to ask and iD from old people?
    That's really weird.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m not because I used to be a cashier

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes